IGNORED

Kool-Aid Man woes...

johnnywc

Well, I finally got Kool-aid Man about a month ago. Things were hectic so I didn't get to try it out until last week, at which time I was upset to find out the cart didn't work!! (or so it would seem) The title screen came up, but nothing would happen and there were a bunch of brown dots on the right.

So, I picked up another copy on eBay for $1.95 and got it today and guess what - the same thing happened!!! After some "troubleshooting", I figured out that the game locks up if you power on with the left difficulty switch in the 'A' position. Weird!!

Anyway, I'm happy to say BOTH carts are working fine (and on a related note, I have a Kool-Aid Man cart for trade if anyone is interested... )

Anyone ever heard of this?

No i never heard of anything like that before that is weird, and on a related note i would like to get a copy of Koolaid man for my atari

I dont have a huge trade box, but i have a few sealed 5200 games (common)and 7800 games (Oshea titles) also some common 2600 games and a Super Off Road game for the NES tho

I got Kool-Aid man for my birthday...those were strange circumstances..basically my friend Geof found out I collected atari games, and that I was interested in finding that title, which he had, and gave it to me, with book. He had some other stuff too, but I think I'll buy that off of him if i can, rather then just mooch it

I have get my Kool-Aid Man by a trade. I was to shocked, that this not work. But the other guy has say that it only work in one Position of the difficult switch.

So I try it and then it worked great.

I think theer was an other game what I get for some time, this work only too when the switch is on a special position.

Actually I did mention this quite a while back. It actually doesn't lock up the console. Did you move the switch back to "B" while it was powered up? It will continue on. What this really is an undocumented "Pause". There was also some discussion a while back about how difficult it would be to incorporate a pause in 2600 games. Many thought it to be almost impossible. However, Kool-Aid Man would tell us otherwise. The brown specs on the left hand side there...are actually the seperate block graphics which eventually make up the Kool-Aid Man guy who crashes through the wall.

You guys got your copies for much cheaper than I did. I paid $5 for mine Cart Loose...but I did get the Instructions so I felt it was a fair deal.

This is a very common problem and the same thing happened to me when my mom got us a copy (with those Kool Aid points mind you...I can still taste all that Kool Aid I had to drink for this game). Upon powering up the 2600, we were greeted with a locked up screen and couldn't figure out why it didn't work until one of us finally picked up the manual to figure out what the hell was wrong. Why the difficulty switches have anything to do with whether a game does or does not play makes little sense.

I can't think of any other Atari game that causes a lock up upon startup if the switches aren't in the correct position.

• 2 months later...

Yes, I've heard of this.

I've been collecting Atari 2600 games based on the collection that one of my friends who is in the Air Force has. He had problems with one cartridge, and it was Kool Aid Man.

I suspect that he might have played it infrequently, and may have had the mode switch in the wrong place, or had changed it, and just thought the cart went bad.

I'll get him to read this....he'll be amused I think.

quote:

Originally posted by -^Cro§Bow^-:

Actually I did mention this quite a while back. It actually doesn't lock up the console. Did you move the switch back to "B" while it was powered up? It will continue on. What this really is an undocumented "Pause". There was also some discussion a while back about how difficult it would be to incorporate a pause in 2600 games. Many thought it to be almost impossible. However, Kool-Aid Man would tell us otherwise.

Sure, a pause button is possible, but it should be done correctly and not like in Kool-aid Man. The game just has to remember the state of the switch when powered up or resetted. Look at other games (e.g. Starmaster, Space Shuttle) that use the switches too, they are doing this right.

I think Burgertime, another MNetwork game, also does this. I remember finding one and thinking it was hosed - although as I recall it just powers up to a frozen screen, and resetting, etc, didn't do anything. Changed the difficulty setting, and it was fine.