IGNORED

RobotRon

dgob123

I'm dabbling in learning assembly for the 2600 and thought I'd start with the bAtari Basic. I'm really ready for the multi sprite kernel. I making a simple RobotRon port for the 2600 just to get the basics down. Not much more I can add to the screen without the flicker from hell.

robotron.bas.zip

Edited by dgob123

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

nice effort.I would like to see the game,when you can shoot the robots.

greetings Gambler172 :)

Cool!

Given the limitations, you might want to consider playing with different movement patterns and fighting technqiues, since the original might not port directly so well...I think something like "wizard of wor" is as close as the 2600 could get...but I could be wrong.

Neat to look at though!

I think i'm going to switch it to WIP "Graveyard Shift" and have some PF graphics you have to lead the zombies to walk into. They kinda look like graves. If you run into a zombie or grave you die. If you make the zombie walk into a grave it disappears. When all are gone you start a new level with less graves more zombies fatster speed etc...

Thanks for the positive comments

I think i'm going to switch it to WIP "Graveyard Shift" and have some PF graphics you have to lead the zombies to walk into. They kinda look like graves. If you run into a zombie or grave you die. If you make the zombie walk into a grave it disappears. When all are gone you start a new level with less graves more zombies fatster speed etc...

Thanks for the positive comments

960370[/snapback]

Oh yeah, I've seen "that" game...something similar is sometimes "daleks"

You might consider varying the movement with some of the bots...like frogbots that jumped, stopped, jumped, stopped, rather than just march march march towards the player.

• 6 years later...

My design suggestion would be to forget about actually drawing the player's shots to the playfield. Let them be invisible. As long as they connect and destroy enemies, people will get the idea and feel the gameplay properly.

A game like this might also benefit from using blocks in the background of the playfield to render a "player" that is locked in the middle of the screen and moving the sprites around the player.

These ideas would conserve the sprites, missles, and ball for use in the gameplay and allow things to feel frantic...

Edited by orange808