IGNORED

Playing Gorf over the weekend

I was playing gorf on my CV and 400/800 (emulated via Dreamcast). I have to say that the CV version is way better, even though the graphics are lacking IMHO. the CV version just might be the best one out there. I can't remember the c-64 one, so it might be better. Anyway, to the point: We need a proper port of this game...including the GALAXIAN level. I undrestand why the level was left out originally, but man it would be great to have a full, 5 level Gorf!

Now, I know nothing about programing for any of the classic systems, but I wonder if it would be feesable to hack in the level, or if it would require a complete rewrite of the game. Thoughts?

I'd like to see a Bally Astrocade version considering it's hardware is similar to the arcade's. CV Gorf is only 16k so there's probably room to splice in code from Atarisoft Galaxian. It would be extra cool if voice synthesis could be added ala Squish'em Sam and Sewer Sam, requiring no extra hardware. The C-64 version looked like it had a squashed resolution, all the sprites were fat and squatty.

Edited by Bill Brasky

The VIC-20 version for the win! It's the game that looks and feels the most like the arcade Gorf, even with the chunky graphics and lack of synthesized voice.

I thought the ColecoVision version of Gorf was a disaster. Poorly drawn characters, inaccurate background colors, random enemy movement, and worst of all, a pasted in soundtrack that ruins the game's menacing atmosphere make Gorf on the ColecoVision an embarassment to devoted fans of the coin-op.

JR

Doesn't anybody like the 2600 version?  :ponder:

953591[/snapback]

Actually, I do as well. I was just stating that the CV version is the best as far as gameplay goes. The 5200 version is probably closest to the arcade game in terms of graphics.

Given the great homebrews for the 2600 that are out there now, I am sure a better version of Gorf could be done, adding Galaxian would only be a small part of it.

I agree with Jess. The CV version of Gorf is abyssmal. The 32k PCB's that AtariAge offers would allow a full, proper version with all 5 "levels" in Gorf to be done (I think, at least).

Recycled ,

Yeah, I really think the 2600 version is fun.

Doesn't anybody like the 2600 version?  :ponder:

953591[/snapback]

Actually, I do as well. I was just stating that the CV version is the best as far as gameplay goes. The 5200 version is probably closest to the arcade game in terms of graphics.

Given the great homebrews for the 2600 that are out there now, I am sure a better version of Gorf could be done, adding Galaxian would only be a small part of it.

953621[/snapback]

• 3 months later...
The CV version is the best one I played, even with the liberties taken with the graphics in the Astro Battles and Flag Ship missions.  The 2600 version is rather weak.

953443[/snapback]

Doesn't anybody like the 2600 version? :ponder:

953591[/snapback]

I do, but then again, I like Skeet Shoot. :ponder:

953595[/snapback]

You too? :P

The Atari Jaguar now has a proper port with EVERYTHING...you can even hook up a

coin mech.....to it...www.3dstooges.com.....

CV was good but the c64 was closer graphically...still no Galaxians...enter the Jaguar version...permission given to me by Jamie Fenton...

Edited by Gorf

Why are graphics always the thing that counts most??

CV version for me is the best play-wise maybe not graphic wise but who cares?

I would love to see a new port with the Galaxian level...

1006887[/snapback]

Oh yes..the CV is a nice game to play.

I have had conversations with the team to consider a complete CV version..the sprite hardware is perfect for it. There are other platforms we are thinking of doing the coplete classic on.