IGNORED

the new coleco hardware (technosource USA)

'scuse me if these popped up in another thread, if thats the case i missed it.

anyways heres what they're selling

og091905q.gif

mm i dont get it, if you're basically doing a reissue then skip the modern touches, and LCD isnt even close to LED. they've got soccer, basketball and baseball too. oddly they dont have hockey which was the coolest of the old line.

but wait theres more, they have a dedicated console that promises 12 built in games, including some new ones. it looks like another piece o' crap ala the intellivision 10 in 1s, its from the same HK toy company. anyways i'd post a pic but the whole website is a flash thing. sit thru the intro - its like they think coleco is a soda or maybe an antismoking campaign. its all about hip posing and coleconation attitude which seems to a watered down version of ecko clothing's ads. that cute skater girl on the subway platform isnt gonna be rocking a head-to-head soccer so why dont they just show the thirtysomething geeks who actually still care about colecovision?

heres the site, remember its a "mindset"

http://coleco.com/

goto "head to head" to see the console

Errrg ... <vomits into keyboard> they just do not "get it." They promise a new Colecovision. I shudder to think what they'll do to that. :|

A lot of you have been clamoring for the Colecovision. Can't blame you and we share your enthusiasm, to put it mildly. All we can say right now is that we are working on it. Hey, you've waited this long for the new Colecovision, and just hang in there a while longer please.

Colecovision without licensed games = generic 3rd party Telegames crap a la "Quest for Quintana Roo" and "Meteoric Shower." :roll:

I've seen these things in stores for a couple of months now. Even though I'm a big Coleco fan, they don't appeal to me in the least. It looks like they're just trying to cash in on the Coleco name, and could care less about what made Coleco great. These games seem like cheap generic junk from China to me....

Anyone actually play that plug n play thing...what's on it?

The marketing intro on their site sucks big time. Gay.

954052[/snapback]

Intresting Lord Helmet! Using sucks and gay on the same sentence! A little passive aggressive gay bashing, ehh.....

Anyway, I picked up the sports one from Walgreens a few days ago, and the unit *IS* as uncomfortable to hold as it looks. I'm no expert, but it looks like a famiclone to me. The only plug -n- play systems I have are the incredible C-64 one and the mediocre Intellivision 10 in 1.

By the way the screen looks, it could very well be a famiclone.

The games actually play well, BION!!!

Metoric shower wasn't *THAT* bad!!!

Ohhhhhhh................ Can't wait for the new Colecovision system they promise!! I'll reserve my opinion for when it's launched. You never know, it could turn out to be good!!!

Picture this:

legacy cartridge port

legacy controller compatibility (for SA, driving controllers!)

expantion port would be nice (and mark III)

Some way to take a flash card with a bizillion games on it!

or it'll just be a famiclone with a smattering of 1st. party games on it!

Edited by MaDDuck

Their marketing pitch makes the programming at G4 look honest and heartfelt by comparison. What the hell are they talking about, anyway? Coleco IS just a name. After the company's bankruptcy, a ten year dormancy, and an acquisition by some no-name corporation with little credibility in the video game industry, it's barely even that.

At least you got the impression that the folks at Intellivision Productions/Blue Sky Rangers/Realtime Associates/whatever the hell they're calling themselves now really cared about video games, even if their products were sometimes disappointing. All I get from Techno Source is a mental image of vultures hunched over a rotting corpse.

JR

Intresting Lord Helmet! Using sucks and gay on the same sentence! A little passive aggressive gay bashing, ehh.....

954091[/snapback]

That wasn't the angle I was getting at. Guess I should be more politically correct :roll:

All I get from Techno Source is a mental image of vultures hunched over a rotting corpse.

JR

954104[/snapback]

Exactly. That's more like what I was thinking :)

Edited by Lord Helmet

• 2 weeks later...

The prose really reminds me of King Of All Cosmos dialogue from Katamari Damacy. Then again, I'm a little obsessed right now.

THERE IS COLECO IN ALL OF US!

It's about humans and humanity.  :?:  :ponder:

954562[/snapback]

I like the part in the intro where they say "no unnecessary bells and whistles" as some guy is doing handstands.

:rolling:

EDIT: "We know you are jonesing for cool new Coleco apparel gear..."

Buzzword overload, system shutting down

Edited by davepesc

• 3 weeks later...

...what garbage!...nasty site, full of hack like feel-good crap that ain't gonna sell but only TWO things, JACK and SQUAT!!!

...but what them completely redeem themselves if they re-release a real Colecovision!...hell, I'd buy one for the hell of it!

But if the Flashback isn't going the copy route, then what makes them think they can?...Atari is MUCH bigger than Coleco...makes ya wonder what these clowns are thinking.

....and a Coleco with standard issue games?...Yeah, Destruktor...yipes. Sure thought it was cool back in the day, tho.

Well, from that I have heard, they are still hesitating about the ColecoVision thing. In other hand, I am going ahead and starting my one-chip-ColecoVision project. I have been experimenting with FPGA stuff, and I think it isn’t difficult to produce a complete CV using VHDL, even easier when you already have the source code for most of the CV ICs. The only problem would be the BIOS, which is copyrighted. But then it would be possible to produce some generic compatible BIOS. Sure, I couldn’t include Coleco games, but who need them built-in when you have a cartridge slot. And I could include all the SEM stuff for free, in the same FPGA. If some company gets interested, then it could be possible to produce a very cheap ASIC version of it. Maybe in a year or two, when RWB decide to sell the Coleco name again… Then maybe the CV fans would buy it… hmmm… :ponder:

Eduardo