IGNORED

Stella Version 2.0.1 released

stephena

Seems like I'm the only one having this problem, but...

Stella 2.01 doesn't work at all for me. It just crashes with the typical "This program has performed an illegal operation..." error immediately on startup. This is on Win98, both with and without a file specified on the command line. I tried both versions on sourceforge (the .zip and .exe). I didn't try Stella 2.0, but the various alphas released over the summer worked fine.

Seems like I'm the only one having this problem, but...

Stella 2.01 doesn't work at all for me.  It just crashes with the typical "This program has performed an illegal operation..." error immediately on startup.  This is on Win98, both with and without a file specified on the command line.  I tried both versions on sourceforge (the .zip and .exe).  I didn't try Stella 2.0, but the various alphas released over the summer worked fine.

957103[/snapback]

I'll bet you have an older AMD processor, right? I think I mistakenly compiled the current release for i686 support, but you need one for i586. This will be fixed for a future release, but for now I can send you an i586 build. Please send me your email address to stephena@users.sourceforge.net, and I'll give you a link to download a specially compiled version of Stella.

Spectacular job; I just tried out 2.0.1 over the weekend and was really impressed. I think it's quite possibly replaced Z26 as my 2600 emulator of choice. It was even better with my Stelladapter. ;) I really like the integrated UI (although I am still feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the settings). Sounds like 2.1 is going to be even better, I'm looking forward to it!

Just a couple suggestions/comments:

1. Is there any way to get a button for "Options" on the ROM menu (to bring up the menu you get when you press TAB)? I know it doesn't necessarily make the best UI sense, but it took me a while to discover how to get to the video settings and such.

2. I had some issues going to full screen on my Windows XP machine, ATI Radeon X800XL, Catalyst 5.10 driver. The top 10-20 2600 scanlines seemed to go to the bottom of the screen, for example, with Pole Position, the odometer was at the bottom. The graphics were slightly scrambled as well. All the other modes worked fine (I just settled on 3X and it was good enough) Any ideas?

3. Is the PSP version available compiled anywhere, or is that.. erm, not exactly legal.. to distribute?

4. (thought of one more) The fact it supports the scroll wheel in the menu ROM is great; any chance keyboard shortcuts could be added, too? (like if you press "k" it jumps to the k-roms?) I also can't get the -joymouse 1 parameter to work, it won't let me control the rom-list with the joystick, is that supposed to be working now?

GREAT job, thanks so much!!!

Edited by Justin42

Spectacular job; I just tried out 2.0.1 over the weekend and was really impressed. I think it's quite possibly replaced Z26 as my 2600 emulator of choice. It was even better with my Stelladapter. ;) I really like the integrated UI (although I am still feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the settings). Sounds like 2.1 is going to be even better, I'm looking forward to it!

Good to hear. But most of these settings were always available in Stella; however, this is the first time they're in the GUI

1. Is there any way to get a button for "Options" on the ROM menu (to bring up the menu you get when you press TAB)? I know it doesn't necessarily make the best UI sense, but it took me a while to discover how to get to the video settings and such.

This one will require some thought, since there are items in the Options menu that aren't accessible/initialized while in launcher mode. Specifically, the ROM info dialog wouldn't exist when you haven't yet started a ROM. Maybe we could fill that dialog with the currently selected ROM?

The top 10-20 2600 scanlines seemed to go to the bottom of the screen, for example, with Pole Position, the odometer was at the bottom. The graphics were slightly scrambled as well. All the other modes worked fine (I just settled on 3X and it was good enough) Any ideas?

This is probably an SDL issue. I've noticed that SDL selects some modes that Windows doesn't like. Maybe try OpenGL and see what happens.

3. Is the PSP version available compiled anywhere, or is that.. erm, not exactly legal.. to distribute?

The PSP port that's available is based on 1.4.2, and as such, doesn't include all the nice features in 2.0. I started a thread at one point soliciting donations to buy a PSP and continue development, but it hasn't worked out so far. Until then, the PSP port is in limbo.

4. (thought of one more) The fact it supports the scroll wheel in the menu ROM is great; any chance keyboard shortcuts could be added, too? (like if you press "k" it jumps to the k-roms?)

This should already work. At least it does for me.

I also can't get the -joymouse 1 parameter to work, it won't let me control the rom-list with the joystick, is that supposed to be working now?

This is still a WIP, since it was for the PSP port, which still isn't finished. We'll be improving it for the 2.1 release. As of now, it defaults to off.

• 3 weeks later...

Stella debugger critiques & suggestions

I'm trying to use the Stella debugger for Leprechaun. (I'm still undecided whether it or Z26.log helps me find bugs quicker. Right now the Stella memory dump is being very helpful, along with traps & breakpoints.)

annoyances (no particular order):

- the disassembly should reflect the PC, not just set the MSBs, this also seems to affect breakpoints

- breakpoints & traps seem to linger somewhat over a reload

- TIA register names shouldn't be overlaid with the symbol table for anything other than immediate loads

- scanline & frame commands should take decimal inputs, not hex (not frame count seems to be 1 more than Z26.log)

suggestions (no particular order):

- set / clear breakpoints by double clicking on the disassembly

- run, reload, and quit buttons

- ? should be alias for help, maybe break help into two pages

- ability to set inputs (i.e. joystick direction) inside debugger

Stella debugger critiques & suggestions

I'm trying to use the Stella debugger for Leprechaun.  (I'm still undecided whether it or Z26.log helps me find bugs quicker.  Right now the Stella memory dump is being very helpful, along with traps & breakpoints.)

- the disassembly should reflect the PC, not just set the MSBs, this also seems to affect breakpoints

The disassembly widget needs some work, I agree. That ties in to the source level debugging as well. I'll speak to the debugger guy (Brian Watson) about it.

- breakpoints & traps seem to linger somewhat over a reload

This is a feature, not a bug :) It's no problem to have a reload erase all the breakpoints, we just didn't do it that way. Perhaps a reload should be a *complete* reload, meaning everything is reset.

- TIA register names shouldn't be overlaid with the symbol table for anything other than immediate loads

I'll have to speak to Brian about that one, because I'm not even sure what you're referring to.

- scanline & frame commands should take decimal inputs, not hex (not frame count seems to be 1 more than Z26.log)

Values can be forced to use a specific base by prepending them with a base character:

%1010 is binary, equivalent decimal = 10

#1010 is decimal, equivalent decimal = 1010

$1010 is hex, equivalent decimal = 4112

So doing 'frame #25' will advance 25 frames. The default base in Stella is hex, so you'd need to use a '#' if you prefer decimal. There's also a 'base' command that can change the default base, but unfortunately that default isn't (yet) saved.

- set / clear breakpoints by double clicking on the disassembly

Right now, double-clicking enters edit mode. You can always click the area immediately in front of a line to set/clear a breakpoint.

- run, reload, and quit buttons

There are already key shortcuts and prompt commands for all of those. As for the commands, 'reload' is easy to understand. What do you mean by the others? Specifically, 'run' what, and 'quit' to where?

- ? should be alias for help, maybe break help into two pages

Easy enough to do, I guess.

- ability to set inputs (i.e. joystick direction) inside debugger

Yes, we plan to expand that for the next release. There are many more parts of the 2600 that need to be added to the debugger, like the RIOT stuff, expanded sound tab, support for extra RAM on cartridges, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a list of games that currently don\'t work in Stella?  I checked the website and couldn\'t find anything like that.  I\'d be glad to report the ones I\'m having trouble with if there isn\'t one.

976402[/snapback]

There probably are some games that don't work correctly in Stella. But in most cases, they're just missing a .pro entry (a database of all ROM info). In a few cases, the ROM isn't supported at all. Feel free to post any games here (or email; stephena@users.sf.net) that you're having a problem with. If it's just a .pro entry missing, I can fix it up and create an updated properties file. Otherwise, a fix will have to wait for a future release.

If possible, please try to explain the errors as much as possible. Saying that 'ROM xxx doesn't work' isn't as useful as saying 'ROM xxx causes graphical errors on the level 2 screen', etc.

O.K., here are a few to start with:

1. Berenstain Bears & Smurfs Save the Day - Start but will not go past the initial screen. I assume the kid Vid is not supported, but just wanted confirmation.

2. A Bump & Jump hack on Atariage called Breaking News causes the screen to go crazy when started.

3. I get a blank or crazy screen when trying to start the hack Mr. Roboto.

4. Magicard looks like a bunch of bricks scattered around the screen and does not respond to any buttons.

An enhancement request you have probably heard before would be to add the ability to rotate the screen 90 degrees so Merlin Walls could be played correctly.

Any help is appreciated.

O.K., here are a few to start with:

1.  Berenstain Bears & Smurfs Save the Day - Start but will not go past the initial screen.  I assume the kid Vid is not supported, but just wanted confirmation.

Correct; KidVid support is not yet included in Stella.

2.  A Bump & Jump hack on Atariage called Breaking News causes the screen to go crazy when started.

3.  I get a blank or crazy screen when trying to start the hack Mr. Roboto.

4.  Magicard looks like a bunch of bricks scattered around the screen and does not respond to any buttons.

These are all properties issues. Paste the following into your user.pro file, and they will work fine. These fixes will be included in the next version of Stella.

"Cartridge.MD5" "4dbf47c7f5ac767a3b07843a530d29a5"

"Cartridge.Name" "Breaking News (2002) (Ric Pryor) (Bump 'n' Jump Hack)"

"Cartridge.Type" "E7"

"Cartridge.Manufacturer" "Ric Pryor"

"Cartridge.Note" "Bump 'n' Jump Hack"

"Display.XStart" "8"

"Display.Width" "152"

"Display.YStart" "41"

"Display.Height" "188"

""

"Cartridge.MD5" "cff9950d4e650094f65f40d179a9882d"

"Cartridge.Name" "Mr. Roboto by Paul Slocum (Berzerk Hack)"

"Cartridge.Manufacturer" "Paul Slocum"

"Cartridge.Note" "Hack of Berzerk (Atari)"

"Cartridge.Rarity" "New Release (Hack)"

"Cartridge.Type" "F8"

"Display.FrameRate" "20"

"Display.Height" "188"

"Display.Width" "152"

"Display.XStart" "4"

"Display.YStart" "38"

""

"Cartridge.MD5" "cddabfd68363a76cd30bee4e8094c646"

"Cartridge.Name" "Magicard (CommaVid)"

"Cartridge.Manufacturer" "CommaVid"

"Cartridge.Type" "CV"

"Controller.Left" "Keyboard"

"Display.YStart" "25"

""

An enhancement request you have probably heard before would be to add the ability to rotate the screen 90 degrees so Merlin Walls could be played correctly.

Adding this to the OpenGL backend is trivially easy. Adding it to the software rendering backend is more difficult. We'll probably add it at some point, but there are more pressing issues ATM (better event handing to support more types of gamepads, TIA restructuring, etc).

Thanks this fixed the problem!  Out of curiosity, where does the string for the first line come from?

977364[/snapback]

This is the md5sum, which is a semi-unique string generated by the 'md5sum' program. This is how all ROMs are identified by Stella. Also, you can edit the game properties while in Stella bu going to 'Game Properties' (start a game, press TAB, click 'Game Properties'). This will show all properties info for the current ROM, and allow you to edit/save any changes. In fact, that's all I did to create the entries above.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to bump this thread, but I'm having quite a few problems with Stella 2.01 on OS X. Mainly the issue is full screen mode. It simply refuses to work correctly. What I want to do is use OpenGL fullscreen and stretch the img to my desktop res. I have all the right boxes checked, but it still seems to chage the res of my monitor when I do this. In some instances it just goes back and forth between my normal res and the reduced res, it never goes to the game, the monitor just keeps switching. Sometimes I can quit this, other times it locks up on me.

Anyone have an idea here? All I want is to strech fullscreen at my normal res.

I hate to bump this thread, but I'm having quite a few problems with Stella 2.01 on OS X.  Mainly the issue is full screen mode.  It simply refuses to work correctly.  What I want to do is use OpenGL fullscreen and stretch the img to my desktop res.  I have all the right boxes checked, but it still seems to chage the res of my monitor when I do this.  In some instances it just goes back and forth between my normal res and the reduced res, it never goes to the game, the monitor just keeps switching.  Sometimes I can quit this, other times it locks up on me.

Anyone have an idea here?  All I want is to strech fullscreen at my normal res.

988421[/snapback]

What resolution is your desktop running at? I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, since the 'gl_fsmax' commandline argument uses the current desktop resolution. So either the OpenGL scaling isn't working, or the detection of desktop resolution is screwed up. Please provide as much detail as possible about your system, including version of OSX, resolutions used, CPU type, SDL version, etc.

Also, have you tried switching to another desktop resolution and then using Stella? If not, please try this and let me know how it works.

Finally, you say you're having quite a few problems. What else isn't working?

What resolution is your desktop running at?  I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, since the 'gl_fsmax' commandline argument uses the current desktop resolution.  So either the OpenGL scaling isn't working, or the detection of desktop resolution is screwed up.  Please provide as much detail as possible about your system, including version of OSX, resolutions used, CPU type, SDL version, etc.

Also, have you tried switching to another desktop resolution and then using Stella?  If not, please try this and let me know how it works.

Finally, you say you're having quite a few problems.  What else isn't working?

988426[/snapback]

I guess I jumped the gun a bit, and I seem to have pinpointed what is wrong, or at least where things go wrong. I've tried this on two machines, a G4 Powerbook (with Tiger) and a G4 desktop (with Panther). Both have the lates SDL library. The powerbook res is 1280x854 and the desktop is 800x600. Same issues on both.

What I figured out is that in the end it actually does set the prefs correctly and will work, but every time you change a video pref from the tab menu, the emu will just continually go in and out of res switching until you somehow quit the program. On subsiquent launches however, things load up however you set them and work fine. So it seems there is something wrong with the GUI and changing the video prefs it seems. At this point I've taken to just changing the prefs file itself in a text editor to make any changes and get things the way I want, so i don't have to deal with the res switching and lock ups. Now that I have it set the way I want it works as intended. I've only tried the video prefs so far however, so we'll see if it's only related to that or the other prefs as well.

The "other" issues I had where not with 2.0, I was reverting back to 1.4 to test some stuff and had a few issues and mistaked the problems I had with that version with the 2.0 version. The main issue I had with the 2.01 version is changing the video prefs via the GUI like I described.

Hopefully that's a bit clearer now.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Is there a way to start the debugger immediately on cart startup? I see where you can set to break on the init vector (even though I can't get this to work :D).

What if I have a ROM over 4K. Technically this could start up in any bank so I can't pt a break on a specific vector. I'd just rather have it break on start up to see how it handles the startup for different banks.

Also, one other thing. I noticed through the debugger that if I VDEL player 0 the writes to this register show up immediately in the debugger. Shouldn't it wait until I draw player 1 to update the graphics of player 0?

Is there a way to start the debugger immediately on cart startup? I see where you can set to break on the init vector (even though I can't get this to work :D).

What if I have a ROM over 4K. Technically this could start up in any bank so I can't pt a break on a specific vector. I'd just rather have it break on start up to see how it handles the startup for different banks.

I figured it out. I can start the debugger using the -debug switch. Then in the debugger I can manipulate the BANK and issue a reset.