IGNORED

Jaguar controller extensions

Teddy Ruffles

I've never actually seen an official controller extension piece, but I imagine it looks a lot like a standard serial cable from a PC.  Anyone know a reason why this wouldn't work?

954308[/snapback]

It's actually a HD15 connector, very similar to the ones use by VGA monitors, whereas a serial port uses only 9 pins. In fact, most of the "official" extension cables I've seen on eBay and elsewhere are nothing more than monitor extension cables with all 15 pins connected. I'd also like to know whether an official extension cable (with an Atari logo, that matched the original molded controller cable) was released because I could use one or two of them myself.

Hello!

Thanks.  GoAtari has a set of controller extensions for sale, but since there's no picture, it's not clear if they're official Atari issue or just computer cables.

Best Electronics also have such extensions, but i think they were made by/for them.

(They have a picture on their website)

Anyone know if an official controller extension was ever released?

954695[/snapback]

What does the Jaguar-FAQ say about this?

Regards

Matthias

I've bought extensioncables from Telegames in the past, and these are not original.

They are, some sort of monitorcables, but without screwholes or something like that, so they look nice.

These cables match perfect with the Jaguarconsole and the size of the connectors/cable is not to big.

There are no original extensioncables available, as far as I know.

But maybe there's someone who can set this straight.

• 5 years later...

Hey guys, I am new here. Has anyone been able to use a Jag controller on one of those female-to-male VGA cables successfully as a controller extension? I know Goatari is selling some, but my local computer parts store sells em too. It'd be nice if I didn't have to wait for shipping, and pay extra for it.

Edited by chany60126

Hey guys, I am new here. Has anyone been able to use a Jag controller on one of those female-to-male VGA cables successfully as a controller extension? I know Goatari is selling some, but my local computer parts store sells em too. It'd be nice if I didn't have to wait for shipping, and pay extra for it.

They work, I've used them. As mentioned above, you just have to make sure all 15 pins are present. (some VGA monitor cables are missing a few pins/lines).

Unfortunately, they usually don't tell. And sometimes the pins are present, but they're not connected.

In general, the ones will all pins wired are the cheap, thin and easily flexible ones ; they're generic 15-pin extension cables, which tend to degrade video quality (that's why they're cheaper), but are perfect for controllers.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a response from GoAtari. That guy was great 10 years ago but he has been terrible the last couple of years. Even if he actually priced something well I wouldn't buy it from him. He is not as bad as SS4U but he sure seems to be trying. Here is some insight into what GoAtari has become: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/134329-what-is-happened-to-goatari

Well, I hope he's okay. I know my tech skills became a non-commodity around two years ago as well. I guess searching for an SVGA extension cable with all the pins is my best option.

I managed to buy some extensions from goatari a couple of years ago, but haven't had any luck getting anything from him since. Guess he has better things to do :?:

So I ordered a VGA M/F extension cable with all the pins. When it is plugged into my Jaguar it won't even turn on. Can I rip out some of the cable's pins to make it even with the regular Jag controller to any benefit?

Not really. A quick search on google images pulls up this, which (if accurate, I'm assuming it is) shows that a number of pins are often connected together as a common ground.

vga_pinout.jpg

Unfortunately some of those pins include pins 7 and 9, which are +5v and GND. Since that 5v pin connects directly to the Jag's main 5v supply rail, you're creating a short circuit that's draining all the power of the system, as well as possibly causing damage if you keep it connected for long.

That cable will only ever be good for connecting monitors together. While the plugs are the same, the way they're connected together is not.

• Like 1

Extra pins don't hurt.

Maybe several pins are connected together in your cable. In theory, pins 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10 are all ground and could be shorted together in a VGA cable, though it's not recommanded and I don't recall seeing any VGA cable that actually does this. That would cause a short circuit that could prevent your Jaguar from working.

Or maybe your could is just defective.

Do you have a multimeter ? If you do, check that no pin are short-circuited with any other.

EDIT : oops, Tyrant has been faster than me ;)

Pin #9 is not present on standard VGA cables, so I doubt it would be connected to ground, but you never know.

Edited by Zerosquare

Yeah, the only thing I care about is not killing my Jaguar. I can't replace it so soon after buying it. The system itself was making a slight high pitched noise with this extension cable on controller port one, I didn't leave it on long as a result. Everything still works and I hope it will stay that way.

If anybody can recommend a working controller extension supplier I would greatly appreciate it. Not having one is going to limit my gameplay time to less than 30 mins a week.

Thanks for the advice. I bought a $4 M/F Vga cable and it worked beautifully. :)

I wonder if DB15 computer monitor cables could function as extension cords for Neo Geo AES/CD controllers. Perhaps this question is better suited over at the neo geo forums.

Edited by chany60126