IGNORED

KB Toys deals (blowout sale)

CPUWIZ

Much more limited pickings in Columbia, MD. Nothing for the DS, very little for the GBA and Xbx. I picked up Activision Classics PS2 for $1, some Game.com fighter for $1, and two kids DVDs for $0.50 that probably should have been in a different bin.

Yes, that is Game.com, you heard right. It was found stuffed in the back of a drawer.

Eric

I don't think the problem with Kay*Bee Toys is the management, it's because the entire toy retail industry has changed. In the '80s, where else would you go to buy toys? Toys 'R Us, and Kay*Bee. But nowadays, with Wal-Mart stores dotting the nation, and consumers generally getting lazier, your average overweight middle aged housewife would rather go to one store to shop than half a dozen shops catering to specific markets, like toys, shoes, clothes, or food. Toys 'R Us is suffering pretty badly too, getting close to bankrupcy last year.  The retail market has evolved, and it's left toy stores behind.

But there's still only 2 places in the nation you could find Terminator 2 toys last year. One of them was eBay. The other was KB Toys.

Only one of those places was still paying attention to suggested retail. It wasn't eBay.

Generally, hjaving old stock lying around for a DECADE indicates a failure SOMEWHERe.

955714[/snapback]

Yeah.

I mean, there is a small degree of truth behind the idea that mega stores like wal-mart hurting sales. But that only goes so far and doesn't explain away all the legimiate problems that exist at places like KB.

Inexperienced/unknowledgable people working there and unrealistic prices. If you suck, you suck, and blaming the competition won't change that.

Then you have to look at other places like EB & GameStop. Here the problem are simmilar, but cover a wider range of diveristy. Not only can you encounter the clueless boob who doesn't know jack about anything, but also the arrogant elitest jerk who feels his personal opinion (or the opinion of corperate forcing him to push whatever that day) is law and everyone in the store, customers included, are oblogated to listen only to him and buying what he wants to sell. Mix in unrealistic prices again, tho admittedly, some "would" be fair if it weren't for the horrible condition of the products.

Or look at Toys-R-Us. Compare a TRU and a Walmart and see who has the better toy section, who has the bigger selection, who has more toys? Walmart has nothing but the basics. But it by no means can effectivly replace a real toy store. TRU problems can be attributed to all the bad decisions it's made over the years.

Perspective. Take Henry Ford. He didn't invent the car. There were dozens of car makers in the world before he came along. All he did was figure out mass production, and was able to produce more of them for less. Should we argue that all those old school late 1800's car makers were driven out of business by Ford? Of course not, because that's not the case. To this day there are still small high end, luxury/sport companies that hand produce limited numbers and are successfull. What killed those old companies was their refusual to meet the changing needs of the new market place. So what has Wal-Mart done wrong? Other then figure out how to do their job as effeciently as possible. If they did it, so can others. The fact that businesses choose to continue to follow a failed business model that is no longer valid leading to their failure is not Walmart's fault or problem. All they did was found a better way, got higher and raised the bar. It's not Wal-Mart's fault that KB's sorry out of shape fat ass can't get enough lift to get over it. KB should try exercising, eating healty, switching from the iron vaulting pole they are still using, and make some attempt at competing in the market that they are actually in instead of the non existant imaginary market that they would like to have.

This holds true for most failing businesses that want to blame other companies for their problems. This "hey, he's doing it better then me for less, that's not fair!" BS doesn't cut it. It only serves to show that it can be done better, but you're not willing to do it, and thus deserve to fail. If you don't want to fail, then take the initiative to do better and raise the bar yourself.

No, the problem on a whole is as was said originaly, bad management. Not having staff that knows what they are doing, not knowing the market value of products, not knowing what the market demands are both in regards to what products to carry and how much to have, so on. KB is failing because they suck and are not in touch with reality. This has been the case for along time now. Long before Wal-mart became a daily buzzword of blame for everything.

Edited by Artlover

I got out there and they didn't have a damn thing, they had pokemon leaf green for 10$ but my little cousin already had it. And i had my fill of pokemon back in the blue red days. Sadly they didn't have any of the games i wanted like mario Vs donkey kong or kirby and the magic mirror. All they had was some lousy gbc games and sports games from 2002. Worst part is i was at the mall it's in the other night and i never thought to check.

My KB, too, was cleaned out.

Only thing that even caught my eye was Bushido Blade 2. And that was 20, which is a bit steep for PS1 titles, given the store's not a dedicated games place, and by all rights should have cleared most of their PS1 stock out 2 years ago.

But there's still only 2 places in the nation you could find Terminator 2 toys last year. One of them was eBay. The other was KB Toys.

3 places sell terminator2 toys, The best T2 toys are @ universal studios up in Orlando @ the Terminator2 3D experience.

955843[/snapback]

Fine. VINTAGE T2 toys.

My KB had several copies of Starfox Assult (GC) for $10.  Is this game worth getting or is it another Dinosaur Planet/Star Fox Adventure debacle?

I'd say very much worth getting, especially at that price.

Over half of it is very true to classic Star Fox. The other part is running around, but it handles much better than, say, Rogue Squadron 3. In fact, it has a bit of the feel of old school DOOM I thought, ducking behind corners and what not.

I think it's a fabulous game, not quite as astounding as the N64's, but still a solid, polished work.

Hit a different KB on Friday night and got some games. The best part was some of them besides this discount also fell under the but 1 get the next 50% off! Here's what I got:

GC:

Black and Bruised $2.50

SpiderMan $5

GBA:

World Champion Poker $5

R Type III $5

N64:

Command & Conquer $1

South Park $1

Aiden Chronicles $ .50

Total:$20 +1.73 in tax. Not bad. No Earth shattering games but for this cheap, I think they're all worth it. There's actually 1 more KB near me I might hit tomorrow night.

Hit a different KB on Friday night and got some games.  The best part was some of them besides this discount also fell under the but 1 get the next 50% off! 

956837[/snapback]

JoeyB...What stores did you check so far? Have you gone to the Source or Roosevelt Field yet? The KB at the Source usually has a bunch of stuff...I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

:ponder:

Hit a different KB on Friday night and got some games.  The best part was some of them besides this discount also fell under the but 1 get the next 50% off! 

956837[/snapback]

JoeyB...What stores did you check so far? Have you gone to the Source or Roosevelt Field yet? The KB at the Source usually has a bunch of stuff...I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

:ponder:

956838[/snapback]

That stuff was from the Sunrise Mall in Massapequa. I'm going to try and get over to the Source tonight. Roosevelt Field seemed to have mostly PS2 and Xbox. I'm looking for GC and GBA. I'll probably try RF again since it's pretty much next to the Source.

A big thanks!!!!!

I picked up 3 Nintendo DS games for $25!!!

Pac Pix

Atari Retro

Polarium

A very happy camper!!!

But still wondering how they screwed up the controls for Tempest!!!

And why no high score save??

958081[/snapback]

I was thinking of picking up one of the games for PSP, but then i remembered Socom: Fireteam Bravo is coming out on Nov. 8th...so i think im going to hold out for that. It looks really good and Socom on the go sounds great! Anyone else getting it?

Damn it! I found Fire Emblem Sacred Stones but it was marked $34.99 so I had them scan it to be sure and it rang up the same. Where did you get that list of games from CPUWIZ? :ponder: I did get some other stuff at good deals though and yes most of the clearance games fall under that other special BOGO 50% deal. :) I got Quake III for DC for $1!

• 15 years later...
8 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Are these all still available?

Yeah it's just a joke,  HAAA!

I was genuinely expecting some random guy with 1 post.

Hey, if any of you still have those games I'll pay you double what you paid for them when you got em. I won't pay shipping though. I suppose 2x the original price should be a good enough deal for both of us?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, bluejay said:

I was genuinely expecting some random guy with 1 post.

Hey, if any of you still have those games I'll pay you double what you paid for them when you got em. I won't pay shipping though. I suppose 2x the original price should be a good enough deal for both of us?

A few years BEFORE this sale, I remember finding sealed copies of the Jaguar Checkered Flag for sale at the local Kaybee... I think it was $35 or something silly like that at the time.

Actually, it might have been closer to 2000...

• Like 2

Nice necro-bump!  In Northern NJ, retail stores get tons of customer traffic, so anytime there was a close out sale, they wouldn't have very much available.  It was either long gone, or snapped up right away.  To make matters worse, free standing KB Toy stores largely vanished at some point in the mid-90's, leaving only the much smaller spaces in the local malls.  Those rarely had anything old in them, due to space limits.  I suppose they probably had some gems piled into their stock rooms like most mall stores always did. 

As for the Jaguar in particular, I don't remember if it was solely KB Toys or not, but I do remember when they put them on clearance.  However, again, a NNJ problem, there were games but no hardware at all.  Jag wasn't the only system like that.  Happened quite often, but at the time, I wasn't really keen on buying hardware via eBay and not having it work, and we had zero classic game stores back then.  So I passed on what were probably $5-$10 games a piece. 

• Like 1