Apparently, it was another DDOS attack on the phpBB software. Two

days ago, the software version was updated to fix some security

issues. When the new version came out, the script kiddies out there

quickly figured out what was fixed in the NEW version, and used

those exploits against anyone using the OLD version (the version

without the fixes). Bye bye DP.

So now the big problem is, the hosting for the server doesn't want

to host DP anymore because of this. It wasn't a direct attack on

DP, but because of the software, this has happened twice now.

The long and the short is, they're working with the hosting, but it

looks like it's going to be a couple of weeks before the site is

back up. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

Edited by KaineMaxwell

In a nutshell about the DP site from POG:

959829[/snapback]

Okay, thanks for the information. I hope that AtariAge can handle the influx of DP refugees, um, I mean, evacuees. I wonder if we started giving names to the DDOS attacks (DDOS Wilma, or DDOS Katrina) if we'd qualify for federal aid. :)

"I'd much rather have a working forum (I love as many gaming forums as possible) instead of a bunch of MOD's to give me fake money. I just hope I didn't lose my 13,000+ Meseta. "

What was the point of that Meseta stuff anyways? I asked and never got a clear answer, it seemed pointless. I don't like that forum anyways since I don't think the moderators do a very good job. They're only interested in avoiding duplicate topics and moving threads constantly.

I find it hard to feel sorry for DP since this isn't the first time and there are obviously more secure forum software available (I can always count on AA being here for example).

959776[/snapback]

Exactly. The mods over there suck, and they got what they deserved by being attacked by hackers.

By the way, when mods DON'T lock duplicate topics, you end up with three or four threads to search through every time you want to talk about something. For example:

Taito Legends

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78107

Taito Legends, and others

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78363

Taito Legends

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75160

Taito Legends Impressions...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77850

Personally I find that more annoying than locking down duplicate topics, but in the end it's just a matter of preference.

Edited by Flack

...DP and Atariage are the same site :)

957546[/snapback]

I kind of wish that it were somehow possible for a merger. Both sites have plenty of meat and both have some gaps.

I admit that I spend more time on Atariage; the forums are easier for me to read (less "clutter"... and that's not meant as a jab). However, I'm a big NES fan as well as many other classic gaming consoles - it seems that DP covers a much wider territory as far as that goes. Also, I really enjoy many of the different articles that DP puts out regularly.

Again, both sites are very cool, IMO, but I can't get my fill at just one or the other.

:ponder: That's just my two cents.

Edited by mojofltr

...DP and Atariage are the same site :)

957546[/snapback]

I kind of wish that it were somehow possible for a merger. Both sites have plenty of meat and both have some gaps.

I admit that I spend more time on Atariage; the forums are easier for me to read (less "clutter"... and that's not meant as a jab). However, I'm a big NES fan as well as many other classic gaming consoles - it seems that DP covers a much wider territory as far as that goes. Also, I really enjoy many of the different articles that DP puts out regularly.

Again, both sites are very cool, IMO, but I can't get my fill at just one or the other.

:ponder: That's just my two cents.

960290[/snapback]

You obviously didn't read the instructional manual for the internet, you're supposed to pick one side and then get angry and bash the other one needlessly.

the forums are easier for me to read (less "clutter"... and that's not meant as a jab).

You know there are skins that you can choose right? They strip a lot of the stuff that looks distracting (color, sigs, etc.) so it kinda pretty much ends up looking like AA. It's all how you set your preferences :)

But that being said.. after this last outage, who knows how it'll be when it comes back :|

You know there are skins that you can choose right? They strip a lot of the stuff that looks distracting (color, sigs, etc.) so it kinda pretty much ends up looking like AA.  It's all how you set your preferences :)

Yeah... but I have my browser set up to what is probably an unrealistic security level... I do not accept cookies. I know I'm crazy, but I have encountered countless obstacles - viruses, worms, spyware etc... in the past. I trust DP, but I don't trust many of the Warez, crackz, p0rn sites that I occasionally pull up. :lol:

I just need to hook up my other PC and let it be my little voodoo doll for these things!

But that being said.. after this last outage, who knows how it'll be when it comes back  :|

960304[/snapback]

:|

I'm in a Vectrex/NES mode right now and I can't get anything. :(

:ponder: I think that the mods on either site are really good, actually - especially compared to many of the forums I've come across. Yeah, it seems that there are different priorities in each forum... that seems natural enough.

[edit] :ponder: I'm retarded. (feel free to quote me on that)

I just went to DP and realized that these settings were saved in my profile. :lol: Like I said, I don't post there much - it's just that all this time I haven't been logged in. :D

Edited by mojofltr

In a nutshell about the DP site from POG:

959829[/snapback]

Okay, thanks for the information. I hope that AtariAge can handle the influx of DP refugees, um, I mean, evacuees. I wonder if we started giving names to the DDOS attacks (DDOS Wilma, or DDOS Katrina) if we'd qualify for federal aid. :)

959832[/snapback]

If anyone wants me to post this news elsewhere I can do that. :)

Exactly. The mods over there suck, and they got what they deserved by being attacked by hackers.

960010[/snapback]

Don't sweat it Flack, the mods here suck too...

Part of the reason for the thread locking being more necessary at DP is that topics would disappear off of the front page of the "all-in-one" "Video Games" forum too fast...

960010[/snapback]

Don't sweat it Flack, the mods here suck too...

Part of the reason for the thread locking being more necessary at DP is that topics would disappear off of the front page of the "all-in-one" "Video Games" forum too fast...

960590[/snapback]

I think it was sarcasm :P

Tell me something...... does Digital Press still come out in it's 'zine form anymore? I let my subscription lapse about ten years ago, a little after the mag's co-founder passed away. If I remember right, the magazine was put on hold for a while, and that's when I stopped getting them. I always liked the mag, with the amateurish looking cover art, and in-depth reviews from not only new games, but classic era games too.

And while I'm asking, is the 2600 Connection still being published?

Tell me something...... does Digital Press still come out in it's 'zine form anymore? I let my subscription lapse about ten years ago, a little after the mag's co-founder passed away. If I remember right, the magazine was put on hold for a while, and that's when I stopped getting them. I always liked the mag, with the amateurish looking cover art, and in-depth reviews from not only new games, but classic era games too.

Yep. Still passed out on xeroxed paper. I think the cover art and layout has improved but it still has an indy feel to it.

And while I'm asking, is the 2600 Connection still being published?

961321[/snapback]

I haven't subscribed to DP in awhile, but last I heard it was still going (as of last year anyway). 2600 Connection is still being published, I got an issue last month.

Tempest