IGNORED

Tutankham...A big letdown

bergbros

Parker Bros Tutankham is a huge letdown compared to the arcade. There really is not much going on in the 2600 version and the graphics are really blocky and lack color. The great thing about the arcade was that it was really manic with all those creatures coming at you. Like Robotron except you had to be real careful going vertical because you could only fire horizontally. The 2600 really didn't have this feeling. Probably the worst arcade translation from PB other than Super Cobra.

2600 Tutankham was fun in it's own right though. It's a distant relative of the arcade version but I think it's was successful for what it tried to do and thus came out decently playable.

To me, what should get the golden turkey award for worst arcade translation from Parker Bros. is AMIDAR

I had Tutankham when I was growing up, and I loved it. It wasn't until I saw it on the Colecovision years later that I realized that the game is nothing like its arcade coutnerpart. If you think of it as a totally different game it's alot of fun (and is one of my favorite 2600 games), but if you try to compare it to the arcade game it really doesn't hold up well.

Incidently the manual really provides alot of fun background information. I love how they give detailed descriptions of all the treasures and creatures. It adds alot to the game.

Personally I rate Tutankham a 7/10. Its got its flaws, but I love it.

Tempest

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: Tempest ]

I only played the arcade version once or twice growing up, so I never formed much of an impression about the arcade game. When I got hold of the 2600 cart, I thought it was a blast! Still do. Being more challenged in the reflex department than many other players, the fourth level still gives me fits on occasion. Taken in its own right, it's a fun diversion.

Don't misunderstand me...Ze_ro is correct in that comparing the CV version to the VCS is apple to oranges...since the CV is considered to be a 3nd generation console I believe and the VCS is a 1st generation.

Given the 2600 limitations the 2600 version of PB:TUT is actually really good. All the elements of the arcade are there. You have to find the treasures...have a gun with limited bullets...have flash bombs...and have to get keys to advance. While the VCS version scrolls down and the CV version scrolls left to right...the gameplay was basically left intact on the VCS.

And as I said...up until I aquired my CV version, I really enjoyed playing the VCS version.

well...its an OK game, I have the box and instructions, it's a cool concept and I love Egyptian themes so thats a bonus but over all, it's pretty lame, it feels like it was programmed in BASIC rather than 6502 assembly., still though quite fun but I can see how it would be a let-down.

I have to agree... Tutankham on the Atari is a pretty fun game, as long as you don't compare it to some of the other versions of it out there. It's almost as bad as comparing 2600 Zaxxon to ColecoVision Zaxxon...

Frankly, I think the conversion was about as perfect as it could have been done... the graphics aren't awful and the screen scrolling down was pretty much unavoidable given the 2600's limitations.

--Zero

I also like 'Tut',and if you could shoot down as the maze and creatures come up at you, I think the game would be way too easy.Half of the fun is finding the 'safe' spots that you can time your move to shoot left or right, or just run like hell.