IGNORED

found games while dumpster diving today

ComputerCollector

I go dumpster diving behind Goodwill at least once a week and get all sorts of stuff, but today I got this:

ATARI:

SUPER BREAKOUT

COMBAT

DEFENDER

GRAND PRIX

PACMAN

ASTEROIDS

RIVER RAID

BERZERK

MISSLE COMMAND

KABOOM

POLE POSITION

SPACE INVADERS

YARS REVENGE

ATARI CART SHELF

PAIR OF ATARI PADDLES

LOTS OF WRINKLED UP GAME MANUALS

NINTENDO:

ZELDA

LINK

SILENT SERVICE

GAUNTLET

NFL

NES CONSOLE

NINTEDO ZAPPER GUN

Yes, the people who work in the store are quite stupid, and throw away all electronics donated to them. There was another dumpster diver there. Hes starting to piss me off. Hes always in there getting the stuff. He always gets there before me. He made out with a few Nintendo carts while I was there, and who knows what else he got before I got there.

I go dumpster diving behind Goodwill at least once a week and get all sorts of stuff, but today I got this:

ATARI:

SUPER BREAKOUT

COMBAT

DEFENDER

GRAND PRIX

PACMAN

ASTEROIDS

RIVER RAID

BERZERK

MISSLE COMMAND

KABOOM

POLE POSITION

SPACE INVADERS

YARS REVENGE

ATARI CART SHELF

PAIR OF ATARI PADDLES

NINTENDO:

ZELDA

LINK

SILENT SERVICE

GAUNTLET

NFL

NES CONSOLE

NINTEDO ZAPPER GUN

Yes, the people who work in the store are quite stupid, and throw away all electronics donated to them. There was another dumpster diver there. Hes starting to piss me off. Hes always in there getting the stuff. He always gets there before me. He made out with a few Nintendo carts while I was there, and who knows what else he got before I got there.

960429[/snapback]

All the Goodwill stores around here sell Atari carts for $4.95. I've never seen one rare enough to be worth that price. They won't negotiate or give a volume discount. I don't see how they sell any of it. The pukes probably put it on E-bay. Hence, I've never bought a cart from any of them. However some of the private name thrift stores have a few Atari items occasionally at a reasonable price.

Edited by D.Yancey

ATARI:

SUPER BREAKOUT

COMBAT

DEFENDER

GRAND PRIX

PACMAN

ASTEROIDS

RIVER RAID

BERZERK

MISSLE COMMAND

KABOOM

POLE POSITION

SPACE INVADERS

YARS REVENGE

ATARI CART SHELF

PAIR OF ATARI PADDLES

NINTENDO:

ZELDA

LINK

SILENT SERVICE

GAUNTLET

NFL

NES CONSOLE

NINTEDO ZAPPER GUN

960429[/snapback]

All the Goodwill stores around here sell Atari carts for $4.95. I've never seen one rare enough to be worth that price. They won't negotiate or give a volume discount. I don't see how they sell any of it. The pukes probably put it on E-bay. Hence, I've never bought a cart from any of them. However some of the private name thrift stores have a few Atari items occasionally at a reasonable price.

960451[/snapback]

I had to laugh today when I went to one Savers and saw a bunch of Intellivision games for $10 each. I then went to another Savers and picked up a Sears Intellivision plus a bunch of games for $10 total.

In my area the "Dumpster Divers" got a little out of hand and started pillaging the donation piles also from the night drop off so they now have cameras set up. Police actually patrol the area also. They were taking ANYTHING of value from what I was told. I had to go check it out myself and low and behold they do have secuirty monitors now.

960429[/snapback]

I'd talk to the manager and see if they would set this stuff aside for you. Tell them you'll pick it up every week and make a fair donation. They might go for it and then you could edge out the dumpster diver competition. I can't believe they would throw that stuff out. The Goodwill and Salvation Army around here get stuff occasionally. They usually price loose cartridges at $1 to $2 and they sell them almost as soon as they put them out.

Edited by davewake

Ewww... Goodwill stuff is gross enough without going into a shitty dumpster for it. I agree with Davewake. Offer a donation for them to set it aside. only downside with that is they may then think that the stuff has value (!!) and no longer discard it. They also may not be able to negotiate.

Wow, great haul! I've poked around in Goodwill's dumpsters once or twice years ago. I didn't find any Atari stuff but I did come up with some other useful items. Unfortunately they also had thefts of actual donated items and a few dumpster fires set by roving idiots.

When the local Goodwill moved to a fancy new location they got one of those enclosed dumpsters that are emptied directly into a garbage truck. And the employees in the back room seem to take great pleasure in smashing anything they don't think will sell before tossing it in, too. If Atari carts are ending up with those guys then they're a lost cause. God forbid that anyone else enjoy "unsellable junk" that Goodwill was given for free.