IGNORED

Jakks Pacific Namco Ms Pac-Man Super Gamekey Combo

TrekkiELO

So I was in Toys R Us yesterday and nothing really interested me until happening upon this item. It's not that bad for a giftcard purchase, they did improve Dig Dug to include flower markers for each level and more arcade like sound effects, maybe they will release another expansion key with an improved Pac-Man!

Signed,

Rick Vendl II

Edited by TrekkiELO

After reading the beginning of this thread, my curiousity was piqued, so after work this morning I headed to the local TRU to see what this key might be (since my internet search had only given me some partial answers). Most importantly, I wondered how this key works, and I was pissed off to discover that you need to purchase yet another Ms. Pac-Man - bundled with the key - to get the whole key system to work as the hardware has been changed, since the keys are incompatible with either the first Ms. Pac-Man or the second IR version. Boo hiss. Maybe if it goes on a mega-blowout sale I might pick one up, but I'd rather pick up their Capcom stick instead; maybe that one will have the ability to take keys. Also, I'm hoping that these keys will eventually be sold separately. Has anyone ever tried contacting the customer service at Jakks with suggestions or complaints? The one time I did via warranty card produced no results.

Ok I'm confused... what is this now? :?

961717[/snapback]

JAKKS Pacific introduces the GAMEKEY expansion pack, the new next-generation innovation for its award-winning plug-it-in and play TV Games product line. GAMEKEY expansion pack offers users the opportunity to add extra games made specifically for their favorite TV Games controllers. TV Games GAMEKEY products will be available on retail shelves starting in the fall of 2005.

JAKKS Pacific expects to launch the GAMEKEY expansion pack first in North America this Fall. GAMEKEY expansion packs will add additional games to TV Game units, and will cost significantly less than the price of a TV Games controller.

..if they release new games on the cards, that sounds like a good idea.

But if it's just to include the new games you get on the wireless version, then who cares. The games all had issues of one kind or another.

Unless they've resolved the control problem with Ms PacMan and the scoring in Pole Position, I'm not interested..but if these cool keys allow you to play newer old school games in the future, I might change my mind.

Ok I'm confused... what is this now? :?

961717[/snapback]

JAKKS Pacific introduces the GAMEKEY expansion pack, the new next-generation innovation for its award-winning plug-it-in and play TV Games product line. GAMEKEY expansion pack offers users the opportunity to add extra games made specifically for their favorite TV Games controllers. TV Games GAMEKEY products will be available on retail shelves starting in the fall of 2005.

JAKKS Pacific expects to launch the GAMEKEY expansion pack first in North America this Fall. GAMEKEY expansion packs will add additional games to TV Game units, and will cost significantly less than the price of a TV Games controller.

961915[/snapback]

Well, it was a good thing that I held off on buying the Ms. Pac-Man stick... :ponder:

Not to sound stupid or anything, but what is the Capcom stick from Jakks Pacific? I have avoided these things, but might change my mind if this has something worth while.

963027[/snapback]

Note the date of this press release... :ponder:

"MALIBU, Calif. – February 18, 2004 -- JAKKS Pacific, Inc. (Nasdaq: JAKK) announced today that the Company has signed a worldwide licensing agreement with CAPCOM CO., LTD. to develop and market CAPCOM TV Games, a plug and play gaming system that contains multiple games based on classic CAPCOM Games titles, in one single controller.

CAPCOM TV Games will feature five top-selling CAPCOM arcade classic games, including 1942, Ghosts 'N Goblins, Mega Man, Gun Smoke and Side Arms. All that is needed are batteries and a TV -- No videogame consoles and no gaming cartridges are required. Simply plug TV Games into the A/V jacks of any standard television set, turn on and play! The lightweight, compact, all-inclusive controller, houses a combination of videogames with all of the hardware built right into the controller. This technology allows gaming fans to enjoy a number of videogames with just one single purchase. "

Not to sound stupid or anything, but what is the Capcom stick from Jakks Pacific? I have avoided these things, but might change my mind if this has something worth while.

963027[/snapback]

Capcom TV Games unit brings back more retro 80s arcade favorites. Titles include arcade versions of the most challenging titles in the Capcom classic line-up, including Ghosts N Goblins, 1942 and Commando. TV Games now include built-in memory so gamers can save high scores.

canuckzilla

• 3 weeks later...
So I was in Toys R Us yesterday and nothing really interested me until happening upon this item. It's not that bad for a giftcard purchase, they did improve Dig Dug to include flower markers for each level and more arcade like sound effects, maybe they will release another expansion key with an improved Pac-Man!

Signed,

Rick Vendl II

961320[/snapback]

I'll answer my own question, better than what Toys R Us has:

Wal-Mart Price good from November 25-December 1, 2005

Special Buy

$20

Ms. Pac-Man 2-Pack Plug 'n Play TV Games

Includes 1 controller, 2 gamekeys, for a total of 10 games

One Time Offer.

NAMCO MS. PAC-MAN SUPER VALUE GAMEKEY MEGA PACK

Controller features:

MS. PAC-MAN

POLE POSITION

MAPPY

GALAGA

XEVIOUS

Orange gamekey features:

DIG DUG

NEW RALLY-X

Black gamekey features:

PAC-MAN

RALLY-X

BOSTONIAN

Bosconian has voice synthesis and Pac-Man is finally complete with arcade sound, however, I do wonder why they decided to include 2 Rally-X games over Galaxian!

Signed,

Rick Vendl II

Edited by TrekkiELO

Signed,

Rick Vendl II

961320[/snapback]

I'll answer my own question, better than what Toys R Us has:

Wal-Mart Price good from November 25-December 1, 2005

Special Buy

$20

Ms. Pac-Man 2-Pack Plug 'n Play TV Games

Includes 1 controller, 2 gamekeys, for a total of 10 games

One Time Offer.

NAMCO MS. PAC-MAN SUPER VALUE GAMEKEY MEGA PACK

Controller features:

MS. PAC-MAN

POLE POSITION

MAPPY

GALAGA

XEVIOUS

Orange gamekey features:

DIG DUG

NEW RALLY-X

Black gamekey features:

PAC-MAN

RALLY-X

BOSTONIAN

Bosconian has voice synthesis and Pac-Man is finally complete with arcade sound, however, I do wonder why they decided to include 2 Rally-X games over Galaxian!

Signed,

Rick Vendl II

972214[/snapback]

I don't know, man, probably because Galaga has better gameplay than the archaic Galaxian?

So, how's the joystick on the new version? Can it switch between 4 way and 8 way, like the wireless one? :ponder:

This is NOT the way to do a product like this (Atari, I'm sure you're listening ... :ponder: )

They already have a unit with ALL of these games on it that doesn't require key swapping. There's no reason a single unit can't contain a lot of games.

The keys should either contain some real value (LOTS of add-on games, compatibility with other plug and play units) or just go away. Why would anyone buy this fussy crap?

This is NOT the way to do a product like this (Atari, I'm sure you're listening ... :ponder: )

They already have a unit with ALL of these games on it that doesn't require key swapping. There's no reason a single unit can't contain a lot of games.

The keys should either contain some real value (LOTS of add-on games, compatibility with other plug and play units) or just go away. Why would anyone buy this fussy crap?

972949[/snapback]

...because they don't want to pay $40 for all the games, and have to swap entire units? There is no single unit with all those games, but two separate units, and the original one with Pacman apparently isn't as accurate as the GameKey version. I agree that it'd be nicer to have all the games on one unit without having to swap cartridges - but considering how much companies charge for those licenses, I can easily see why they aren't just giving them all away. And this way at least they *are* all on one unit, you just have to swap in the carts.

I *can* say that the Star Wars game keys are a much better value - only two games per key, but those games aren't on any other unit, and they are actually better than what's on the base unit (not by design, just the way it worked out).

...the quality of these products is laugable. But therein lies the reason why the public doesn't care....only the hardcore guys seem to remember what the games should be like!

I own the Midway sticks, and the cordless....but only for novelty. I think they look cool. If I want to play the games I go to the PS2 museums.

By the way, I can't STAND Galaxian!...I sure liked it as a kid in the airport arcade, but man, I can't play more than two rounds before being bored to death!

Unless they've resolved the control problem with Ms PacMan and the scoring in Pole Position, I'm not interested..but if these cool keys allow you to play newer old school games in the future, I might change my mind.

961994[/snapback]

:? I got one of the original sticks for my son last year. I haven't noticed any serious control problems. (Other than the poor design of the joystick itself.)

I can't speak to the scoring on Pole Position other than to say that it's a lot of fun competing for the high score with extended family members. Unless there's some way to outright cheat, I don't think it's that big of a deal for most consumers.

I wanted to get one of these but since they dont have pause I am not.

/Me scratches head

My memory may be faulty (since I don't have the unit in front of me), but doesn't the "Menu" button on the front of the unit allow you to pause the game? IIRC, it pops up a "Resume/Exit" menu, freezing the game in the process. Of course, I could be wrong...

Their site keeps listing the Capcom as Coming Soon. Seems like I've been waiting for it forever!

I saw one of these in the local Wal-mart the other day. Not quite a Capcom collection, but it might hold you over for a time. ;)