IGNORED

Qb Special Edition - Announcement

Andrew Davie

Now that the contest for the Qb labels is over, I have everything needed to start shipping the Special Edition. Consequently I have emailed all those on the preorder list (who are guaranteed a copy) with an offer to purchase.

The offer includes the following specification...

Contents of the special edition are

1) A custom-made wooden box. This box was produced for me, to my

specification, by a local sheltered workshop (at great expense, I might

add). I decided that it would be A GOOD THING to support these guys by

giving them some work. They've done a fine job - and although not terribly

sophisticated in design/style, I'm quite pleased with the results. Each box

is hand made, and comes with squares of Tasmanian woods affixed to the top

(Huon Pine, King William, etc) representing the tableaux of the game during

play. Boxes are individually numbered from 1 to 100.

2) A CD-ROM containing

a) Multiple binaries of QB during development

b) Archive of emails/messages related to the deveopment of the game

c) Multiple source-code snapshots of the game

d) Actual final source code, in buildable form, of the game as used

for the special edition (not available elsewhere)

e) Archives of the [stella] list, related to the game production

f) Tools required for Atari 2600 development (pending approval by

copyright owners)

g) Copy of Z26 Atari 2600 emulator and full source code - allows

binaries to be played on PC

h) Images of all the labels from the Qb competition

3) A manual containing

a) Fully commented hardcopy printout of the game code

b) Retro-style game-blurb done by an 'industry veteran' (not me!)

who actually did this stuff professionally back in the early '80s!

c) Post-mortem of the game development, and a personal history of

the game.

4) Hand-numbered and signed cartridge containing an individually

serial-numbered binary of Qb. This binary is a special release, having some

minor visual improvements and refinements which are not present in the

regular edition. Each cartridge binary has the serial number as part of the

ROM image, so all 100 are unique. The cartridge comes with a label as shown

in the competition, and each label is hand-numbered (1-100). I will sign

the label if you request it (though I think it would look better without my

signature). If you'd like me to sign the box/manual, that's fine - just

ask.

If you have previously been told you are in the top 100, then you should have received an emiail from me. If you have NOT, then your position is in danger, and you should contact me (adavie@taswegian.com) as soon as possible.

Cheers

A

quote:

Originally posted by Blackjax:

I know it's -way- too late to try to get one of these now, but can you post some pictures for us to drool over?

Great game btw, didn't play it until the label contest and got hooked instantly!

Producing the Special Edition has been an interesting experience for me. The logistics of arranging 100 cartridges, boxes, a label competition, manual artwork and writeup, etc., CD production and communicating with people on the preorder list has kept me really busy. Really busy. Just handling emails alone is taking hours per day.

There are few things I've learned, and a few things I'd have done differently. But overall, things have gone pretty smoothly.

The dropout rate (people who preordered but declined to purchase when the time came) has been very low (just 4), but the number of people responding AT ALL has probably only been about 70%. This is good for those who are on the preorder list, but haven't been made an offer yet. I haven't tallied the numbers exactly, but it appears to me that there will be 10 or so additional positions freed up (after accounting for all current orders), so if you thought it was too late - it's not!

I am offering the Special Edition at a flat-rate $60 (that includes insured economy-air delivery to anywhere in the world), for those curious as to the price.

The cartridges all arrived this morning (all 100!) from Randy Chihfield of Hozer Video Games. I wholeheartedly recommend Randy - his build quality appears excellent, he was most accomodating with regard to my requests, and the cartridges arrived on-time and safely. I've taken a snapshot - this is the last time that all 100 special edition cartridges will be seen in the same spot! Note the small sticker on each - this is because each is individually serial-numbered in the ROM itself, so they have to be identified for insertion into the correct box.

David Exton (the label genius) is doing a bit of line-art for the manual, too, so once that is ready the boxes will start rolling out the door. That should be at the end of this week. I am staggering delivery (in the order of payment received) as materials and funds roll in.

100carts.jpg

Cheers

A

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: Andrew Davie ]

quote:

Originally posted by -^Cro§Bow^-:

Hehehe...

Excellent!

So..um...which one is number #74?

hehe..just kidding...Glad to see you got them all in.

BTW: if each one is internally serial numbered...where is this at? On the rom..in the rom code? What?

Serial numbers are IN the ROM code. Thus, I did 100 different assembles to generate 100 ROMs for Randy, emailed them all to him, and he burned 100 ROMs, one from each binary file. Thus, all Special Edition cartridges are different in the binary contents.

Cool!

Okay so if each rom is internally coded...then do you have the serial number being displayed when the game comes up somehow?

I would think you must be in order to even bother putting it into the code. Unless your doing this also to prevent the "Everyone somehow has a copy" pirating that could occur? So unless they knew where to make the change then you would know about dupes.

Well..either way, excellence all the same and I can't wait to get it!

BTW for anyone wondering...I chose #74 on purpose and not because I was #74 on the list.

quote:

Originally posted by -^Cro§Bow^-:

Cool!

Okay so if each rom is internally coded...then do you have the serial number being displayed when the game comes up somehow?

I would think you must be in order to even bother putting it into the code. Unless your doing this also to prevent the "Everyone somehow has a copy" pirating that could occur? So unless they knew where to make the change then you would know about dupes.

The serial number is not displayed. It is just an internal difference in the ROM. It's not really there for piracy prevention - though I will be probably be able to tell, if the binary appears elsewhere, which unit it originally came from.

You have to understand, though, I put it there because I'm a perfectionist. I thought it would be nice to have 100 UNIQUE binaries, one for each of the special edition units. And that's what I've done.

Those on the preorder list but not in the top 100 - good news - a 2nd round of offers will be going out shortly and I expect that everyone waiting should be able to get a unit, if they wish.

Cheers

A

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Davie:

The serial number is not displayed. It is just an internal difference in the ROM. It's not really there for piracy prevention - though I will be probably be able to tell, if the binary appears elsewhere, which unit it originally came from.

As Andrew will also know, by comparing two special edition ROM dumps, it would be an easy task to find the different byte(s), and perhaps even fake the numbers.

But why should somebody do so? The "special" doesn't come from those internally changed byte(s) but from the package. And that will be very hard to fake.

Then Jahfish and I were on the same thinking...

That is also why I chose #74...that was the year of my arrival to this day and age.

I figured that I wouldn't be the only one with the year of birth idea for the cart serial number. And I also figure most of us were born in the 70s...so I wanted #74 before it was too late.

Can't wait to actually get our carts!!!...hehe..

Well, i just pulled my name off the list (with precious little time before it was pulled for me), so one of you bastards* out there are getting one thanks to me.

Now, don't you want to send me something nice as a way of thank-you?

No?

*sigh*

Ah, well....

*(Just kidding with the "bastards" stuff.) 

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Rhindle The Red ]

The 2nd round of offers for Qb Special Edition has just been posted. These are the people who were on the list of preorders, but who were not in the first 100. Some positions had hopened through dropouts and my decision to serve all people before allowing multiple purchases for individuals.

Currently there are 65 confirmed purchasers to whom cartridges have been offered (this includes a couple of multiples). There have been 7 dropouts - people who have decided not to buy.

There are about 32 people who have NOT responded to the round 1 offer. As orders are confirmed, I will randomly select those places and replace them. It looks like everyone wanting a Special Edition Qb will get one, which leaves me very pleased. If there are one or two left over at the end, I will probably eBay them.

One other thing, I have been asked if I will put a list of names-># on the 'net, and I think I will do that, to encourage the openness of the process and to reassure everyone that everything is above-board.

Cheers

A

Now I am very happy, I have reserved my QB Special Edition. Yes, yes, yes, I get one too. I will send the money as fast as I can.

The number is first not so importend for me. If the 78 is free I will it, but if not, the best is I get a Special Edition. As others say, my was birth 78. But only the game is importend, not the number.

Thanks to all who don't want it anymore, or don't reply to the E-Mail. Now I get one. 100 times thanks too all.