IGNORED

Qb Special Edition - Announcement

Andrew Davie

I want my game too. Simon say his game work fine. I think he use too a PAL system. So maybe only some games work not correct.

I have never problems with NTSC games in the past (only flicker on my Jr.). I hope it will all work good by me too.

Please not stop the project.

quote:

Originally posted by JimC:

Hi Andrew,

Please don't pull the game. I still want mine, even if it's not perfect. (I'm #51)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jim. I can't let things stand as they are. But as you can imagine I've been thinking very very hard about how to solve this. I have some ideas, but things are a bit grim at the moment.

Probably I'll end up recalling all cartridges and replacing the EPROMs. That's the cheapest option I can think of. Of course that will create a new category for collectors - original buggy Special Edition, and reprogrammed Special Edition.

I'm still not sure WHY there is a bug, but am now fairly sure there IS a bug. Bugger. Well, I wanted to learn all about the 'other side' of the manufacturing process, didn't I !

Well. I've had a good look at the code and found that there WAS indeed a bug/problem which caused screen shake. I won't go into the technical details - but suffice it to say that I'm not very happy with myself.

I have fixed it already, and as a bonus I have reworked things so that it is possible to do PAL versions of Qb SE, too. Now that I know all the owners, it is possible for me to produce PAL or NTSC based on locality.

Right now I'm awaiting replies from a couple of people regarding the cost of remanufacturing another 100 Qb SE cartridges/boards/eproms. I'm not exactly sure which route I will take.

I expect to be arranging some sort of trade-in/replacement scheme, but details are to be finalised. The best option I have at the moment is to leave the current cartridges as-is, and send replacement boards with the new bug-fixed program on-board. I would also include a replacement label, so that the owners could either have a 2nd cartridge, or replace the 1st cartridge board with the new board themselves.

I really can't blame anyone than myself for this one. What I thought was an innocuous and simple last-minute change in the code has had unexpected consequences and obviously I did not check thouroughly enough. And now I'm paying.

Combined with the unexpected $2.50 per transaction charge that PayPal hit me with, this disaster throws the break-even status of Qb manufacture out the window - I will be making a VERY significant loss on this venture.

Sorry, Andrew, I didn't want to ruin your day with my bug-report some hours ago. I hope that you don't fear my future mails...

I hope that you can manage things and hope that you can change all the carts you did not ship already to the new version without extra-cost. That should be possible, shouldn't it?

Good luck and best regards,

Simon

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Davie:

Combined with the unexpected $2.50 per transaction charge that PayPal hit me with, this disaster throws the break-even status of Qb manufacture out the window - I will be making a VERY significant loss on this venture.

That's sad news, perhaps youcan make some profit with auctioning the remaining boxes.

On the positive side, you can now give others some very valuable information. Perhaps you should write down your experiences.

Well..Andrew...

If you can somehow send mine with a replaced eprom on the board then I am a go still or if you send out the fixed board and eprom seperately later, then I am still a go. Otherwise I have a hard time convincing myself to spend $60 on a game that may or may not be enjoyable on my unit at home.

So, if you decide to do the full recall, and not send out replacement boards or fix the ones you have then I may just have to relenquish #74 and make it avail to someone else.

Thanks for letting us know Andrew. Your a great guy all the same!

Well I just sent out the first five Synthcarts and then realized that there was a problem with the casing with some of them. There's a capacitor on Chris's board that snags the dust flap when used with 4 or 6 switch Atari. You have to fold the cap down after soldering on the EPROM. The problem carts work fine on a 2600 Jr, which of course is what I was doing my final testing on.

I'm probably going to have send out a few replacements too. It's hard when you don't have a QA department!

-Paul

I believe I have come up with an acceptable compromise/solution. I am ordering another 100 Qb boards to be made, but without the cases. I will also print 100 new labels. The current delivery process will continue without further delay.

As soon as the replacement boards are available (I'm ordering them immediately, as I have already fixed the bug in the program), I will be posting each SE owner a new board (and the manual, which is not included in the initial delivery). The SE owners will have the option/material to allow them to either cannibalise their existing Qb cartridge (just rip off the existing label, replace the board, reassemble cart and stick on new label), or make themselves a 2nd Qb cartridge using a spare Combat.

I believe this actually benefits everyone who has ordered, as they end up with exactly what was promised, actually more, at no extra expense to them. I am able to minimise my losses, though of course I am bleeding badly. Anyone who is unhappy with this proposal, please contact me privately and I will do my best to please.

Andrew...Sounds good to me!!!

Besides...I may get lucking and not experience any problem that to any annoying degree with the game. And when the 2nd corrected one arrives...then I will Kill a combat for it...heck...need to pick up a spare combat this weekend I guess just for the occasion.

Andrew..You really are having to go above and beyond on this. I know we all appreciate your hard work and we hope that this little snafu experience won't deter you from possibly making more games in the future.

Andrew,

I've noticed on my cart that the screen does jump a bit vertically when moving a block around, but is still quite playable. It sounds like you've already fixed the problem though...

I truly appreciate the amount of work you've put into this release and would be happy to donate some money to help offset your loss...

Cheers,

le geek

I'm with Ataripitbull. Andrew, if you need more money to cover the cost of the new boards, I'll gladly pay extra. Besides, it will be cool to have an Eprom on the board plus the original finished cart. I think it makes it even more collectable!!! (#51)

Andrew,

i just found out about this! i'm really tired but i needed to post this tonight! i know you feel you should pay for this since it was your problem. but this community is all about helping others!!

and i think it is time you should let us help you!!!

please let me know i will pay you the extra that you need for my carts and for even the pay pal fees!!! please let us help you!!

Take Care,

Rick

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Davie:

Se this is why I always use my checking account as my funding source. That way the guy getting the money doesn't get slapped with fees. Credit cards on Paypal are a double whammy. Buyers and sellers get nailed. Buyer by their credit card company and sellers by Paypal.

If it'll make a difference I'll gladly send extra $$$ to recieve a new board and label in addition to the original cart. Killing a Combat cart to make a second one wouldn't lose me any sleep.

I'm pretty sure they only charged him for the credit card transactions. I've received $75 before without a fee because it wasn't from a credit card. My understanding of the way it works is Paypal only charges the seller (the ones who get the money) fees to accept credit card transactions. Paypal balance transfers, eChecks, and accounts funded bny a checking account do not have fee charged. And I have never been charged any fees to send money, so it's only people who receive that get charged.

Paypal makes the suggestion that sellers should "include" this fee in their selling price or as part of the S&H, which is what I do. I only included the $.30 that Paypal charges every credit card transaction because the 2.9% changes depending on the price. And I charge people even if they send a money order because it is illegal to discriminate against Paypal users if that is one of your payment options. I still lose a little off this because I'm only charging $.30 but the loss isn't major.

But getting back to the topic. Would this problem of the bug make the first version a prototype?

That would seem pretty cool to have both. I'm sure most of the people who have ordered one would be willing to pay extra to get both versions, especially if you considered the first version to be a proto.

OK, I will help to a bit. I have send you to much money for the game, you can hold US$ 10 for the extra cost. And when you need a bit more in the moment you can use the rest too first, but not forever.

So I pay 10 $ more for the game. I hope that will help a bit.

I'm pretty sure I paid Andrew with funds straight from my checking account. But I've since removed my checking account from PayPal, due to all the horror stories I've heard about them. I don't mind using a credit card, but until I setup another checking account solely for PayPal use, there's no way in hell they're getting direct access to my primary account again. I've never had a problem, but I'd rather take preemptive action than one day find my checking account depleted and have to fight for months to get the money back (if ever).

Anyway, I would also be glad to contribute to some sort of fund to help Andrew pay for having to send out another 100 carts with the bug fix..

..Al

Thank you to those kind people who have offered (or sent) additional funds. I am most touched. Please, though, before taking unilateral action let me have some time to sort things out and figure out exactly what I'll be doing. I would note that I haven't actually asked for extra funds, and I am loath to do that.

I believe I have a reasonable solution which won't leave me too poorly. I have already ordered the production of 100 more boards with EPROMs. These will be delivered to me in about two weeks. To date I have delivered approximately 40 QbSE sets. That means I have 60 cartridges here with me, still.

My plan is to rip apart those Qb carts still here and replace with the new boards. I will then junk the "buggy" Qb board. Deliveries will continue once that process is complete, and everyone will get what they originally paid for. No extra funds requested/required, but of course an additonal delay.

Now, I expect that most people would rather have the original cartridge AND the new board. Those people should contact me (I will be sending an email explaining things shortly, to which they may reply). If they wish to receive both boards, then I will leave their cartridge intact, and instead include the replacement board in their package with a new label set for them to build their own 2nd cartridge. To assist in recovery of my extra costs, I would ask a small donation from these people. The thinking is, they get something additional and probably "collectible", and I manage to offset some of the disaster cost.

For reference, I have to pay for construction of 100 new boards, including materials, programming the EPROMs and assembly, then for postage from the USA to Australia of those units, and then postage to all the people of the new boards from Australia.

I have yet to "set" a price, but I am thinking that something like US$6 would be reasonable. I welcome your comments in this thread.

I would like to reiterate - under this proposal, no additonal payment is required. If you just sit back, you will eventually receive your replacement Qb. If you decide you want both, then an extra $6 will see that happen.

I believe this is a fair solution.

Andrew -

I'm a little bit confused. As far as I understood, I've ordered a copy of QB and sent in payment, but the cart hasn't been assembled yet, and naturally hasn't shipped yet.

Assuming that's accurate, I'd think you can simply wait for the new boards to arrive, and assemble the cartridge with the good chip once it arrives. Other than an extra few days waiting, I'd think this wouldn't harm me or others still waiting for the shipment in any other way.

As for your increase in costs, in no way is this meant to belittle, discard, or minimize them in any way, but wouldn't the only extra cost for the above scenario be the extra boards/printing? There wouldn't be extra packaging/shipping/PayPal charges involved.

Is everything I've written so far correct?

At any rate, about how much extra are the replacement boards/docs?

I don't know what's involved, but maybe you could set up an Amazon Honor system account or something similar to collect donations to help offset the loss.

I use Trillian (www.trillian.cc) avidly and they accept donations -it's freeware - via an Amazon Honor System payment. There was also a Sept. 11 Fund that accepted Amazon payments that way.

As far as my order goes (#86), of course I still want it, I'm willing to chip in to help your finances, and I can wait patiently. Hell, I waited 3 or 4 years for Battlesphere and never griped about that.

Steve