IGNORED

Popular Colecovision Games

Mostly play CV in emulation, but Smurf Rescue is what I tend to play the most of.

While I think Smurf looks beautiful for it's time, don't you find it less than challenging?  I mean even on level 4, it's very very easy.

Actually, Level 4 is the only level that's even challenging enough for me to handle, with the birds and bats not only moving fast, but also doubling back to get me from behind. And sometimes, because the arrangements of the obstacles in the cave and field zones are so random (you can even change the arrangements by having Smurf briely go back to the screen he left and then return), the bird and bat movements can get you in a place you don't want them to get you.

The thing I don't like about CV Smurf is that the difficulty doesn't increase as you play (except if you're playing Level 3, where the third time around brings the game difficulty up to Level 4), whereas the Atari 2600 version DOES cause the difficulty to increase as you continue, up to Level 4.

Anyway, as much as I enjoy playing this game over and over, the overall game does make me wish Gargamel could have been included as an enemy on the very last screen, where Smurfette awaits -- even if he appears no bigger than Smurf-size!

Mostly play CV in emulation, but Smurf Rescue is what I tend to play the most of.

While I think Smurf looks beautiful for it's time, don't you find it less than challenging?  I mean even on level 4, it's very very easy.

Actually, Level 4 is the only level that's even challenging enough for me to handle, with the birds and bats not only moving fast, but also doubling back to get me from behind. And sometimes, because the arrangements of the obstacles in the cave and field zones are so random (you can even change the arrangements by having Smurf briely go back to the screen he left and then return), the bird and bat movements can get you in a place you don't want them to get you.

The thing I don't like about CV Smurf is that the difficulty doesn't increase as you play (except if you're playing Level 3, where the third time around brings the game difficulty up to Level 4), whereas the Atari 2600 version DOES cause the difficulty to increase as you continue, up to Level 4.

Anyway, as much as I enjoy playing this game over and over, the overall game does make me wish Gargamel could have been included as an enemy on the very last screen, where Smurfette awaits -- even if he appears no bigger than Smurf-size!

967312[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more. Before I even bought a Colecovision, I was drooling over screenshots of Smurfs -- it just looked so advanced for its time, like a pre-Super Mario Bros. When I first played it on MESS I was really blown away. I enjoyed the music and the bright colors and the attention to detail, and likewise I could only play on Level 4. But once I finally beat it, there was no thrill left in the game, and it became too easy. I'm assuming the game is so easy because it was aimed at kids?

I was hoping they could've done more. I would've liked more obstacles, and the possibility of retaliating -- perhaps against Gargamel. Although, I guess I might've been asking too much of a game that came out so long ago. I've found BC's Quest for Tires to be a much better platformer.

Super Donkey Kong Jr (thank you CPUWIZ)

Space Invaders Collection (thank you opcode)

966387[/snapback]

never saw these games for the COLECOVISION.

971715[/snapback]

Space Invaders Collection is available here in AA Store... :)

Eduardo

• 3 years later...

Found this old thread and I think it is the time for an update: my best of list today (not in order):

River Raid

Mouse Trap

Subroc

Lady Bug

Donkey Kong Junior

Turbo

Popeye

Q*bert

Antarctic Adventure

Wing War

Miner 2049er

Time Pilot

Space Panic and Pepper II are both new in my collection - both looks interesting but

I had no time to play these games until today...

BTW: is Slurpy a fun game?

Edited by Mister VCS

These are the games I always go back and play:

HERO (the 2600 version is just as good)

Tarzan

Wargames (you need to get used to the keypad)

Ladybug

Tutankham

Miner 2049er

Jumpman Jr.

Choplifter

Quest for Tires

Smurf Rescue

Antarctic Adventure

2010 is pretty good too.

Wargames is a fantastic game once you get used to the keypad and know what to click on. You need the overlay to see what to press.