IGNORED

New Adventure II 5200 demo

Cafeman

If I do put them in, there won't be many.

I'm working on this right now -- without actually removing any mazes or screens (which I've done before already!), I have a couple alternative ideas... if they yield me at least a couple hundred bytes then that should be pretty good!

Back to work ...

• 4 weeks later...

Quick -- what does a magnet look like? I can't find a pic of the 2600 one and I'm tired of using placehold art ...

wanna draw me one? 1-player, 1-color, can be single or wide... gotta be tonight though... if not, I'll manage.. :)

post-37-1147911533_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cafeman

Quick -- what does a magnet look like? I can't find a pic of the 2600 one and I'm tired of using placehold art ...

wanna draw me one? 1-player, 1-color, can be single or wide... gotta be tonight though... if not, I'll manage.. :)

Here's one...let me know what you think (large size is for review, small one is actual size...)

post-5114-1147912304.png

post-5114-1147912407.png

Reminds me of Tron! What do you think of this one:

Heh. I was trying to do the tips of a horseshoe, where it turns up at the ends.

Yours is good! Can you make it that round when it's oriented vertically? I guess it doesn't need to rotate, though. I didn't think of that. =)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wowowowowowowowow, I am waiting for this game, but I want to ask for new things on this project, there's lack of updates on the website.

I'm helping test it, so I can tell you that's because the updates are going into the game. :)

I've had a lot of flashbacks to when I was in grade school while testing Adventure II - it captures much of the feel of the original, especially the well-designed mazes, the graphics, and the behavior of the dragons (although their behavior is more interesting now). I think if Atari had written this game, they wouldn't have gotten it right. It took a serious fan to make this.

One great new thing about Adventure II is the number of variations of the game - every time you select the next game number, you'll find a bigger, different map to learn with more vicious monsters to boot. It's like the way the maps change between variation 1 and 2 in the original, only with a lot more elaborate maps and characters (and therefore a lot more room for variation). That in itself should keep this game interesting for a long, long time.

I don't know how Ron keeps finding space to cram more features in, but every new beta he sends out has more stuff in it...

My excitement to finally play Adventure II continues to grow, even with the delays! The game is looking great. This is just a thought, but would it be possible to add in a small extra to those who preordered? Nothing major, maybe like an insert signed by the team & numbered in the order that the preorder that was placed? :D

I'm helping test it, so I can tell you that's because the updates are going into the game. :)

I don't know how Ron keeps finding space to cram more features in, but every new beta he sends out has more stuff in it...

If there is one single thing I'm impressed with, it's just how much I've crammed into the game. 32K? I wouldn't be surprised if the game is 100K if I hadn't used compression. I've run out of ROM memory 20 times and found ways to reclaim it many times. This is part of the reason the progress slowed down, but after spending 4 years off-and-on working on this game, I don't want to rush it at the very end and eliminate stuff I'd planned from the beginning, such as beaucoup de mazes, background and character animation, different difficulty levels, alternate characters, rankings, power-ups and plenty of screens with unique colors. I've got all those in, and for over a month I've been tweaking.

5200 coding just kicks my butt over and over. So much potential to crash the game when the timing of VBI actions and main code routines clobber each other!

I've never played the oft maligned Indenture, but one of the things that Maurice Molyneux once told me is that it introduced too many screens. Well, Adventure II has 91 screens (some are repeated with different colors -- castle maze screens and the towers/ramparts for example).

Quick memory lesson: Say that there are 60 unique screens. 60 screens * 960 bytes for each "Antic 4 graphics mode" screen = 56K uncompressed, and that's just screens, no code or characters or sounds! But the game fits in 32K and I'm still filling the last couple hundred bytes.

But anyway, you won't see all the screens in every game variation. You can pick small/medium/vast mazes for any difficulty setting. The problem with any adventure game is once you learn where to go, some of the mystery is gone. That's why I wanted a Minotaur which can (if he grabs you) change the hedge maze layout (in advanced variations). That can really throw you for a loop at first. You go south from the castle and .. it's a different screen now!

If you want a quick and easy game with little frustration, play on Beginner Small. The Troll will only make you drop your item , not steal it. THe dragons are pretty easy to kill. There's only 2 kingdoms to deal with.

On the other side of the spectrum, say you are the master of Adventure II. Play level 22 -- the last level -- you get a different maze randomly built every time. You won't know which of the 4 hedge mazes or which of the 3 kingdom1 mazes you'll get, you won't know if the ice and dark castles have small or large mazes. Plus, the dragons don't die forever -- they revive and they're rather nasty to kill in the first place. They change color every time they revive -- I hope some gamers will have fun just seeing how many times they can kill the dragons and seeing the different appearances of each as they change hue.

Well back to work. I did a little update of the dev site yesterday FYI.

Well, you can't really compare a 4K game made for 2600 in 1978 vs a 32K game made in the 21st century for 5200. Of course Adventure II has "more" visuals and stuff than Adventure, but given the era, I think Adventure 2600 is an awesome game that is still fun today.

Well, you can't really compare a 4K game made for 2600 in 1978 vs a 32K game made in the 21st century for 5200. Of course Adventure II has "more" visuals and stuff than Adventure, but given the era, I think Adventure 2600 is an awesome game that is still fun today.

And without the original Adventure, Adventure II would never have existed :)

And without the original Adventure, Adventure II would never have existed :)

I'm with you on this :thumbsup: but I want to point out the fact that back in that era the games were programed by a single person. That's why alot of the titles were visualy challenged, it was not always the VCS system's limitations but because of the skills of the programer -and not all of them were good graphic artist in their trade -so playability was mostly the determining factor here. Besides, it's not the programers fault. they were just simply following lousy substandard proceedure set by a big company, were underpaid, worked under stress, had deadlines to meet and never got credit for their accomplishments. That's enough to discourage putting one's heart in the work (unless there's an easter egg agenda invoved)! Anyway, what i'm getting at is that the circumstances of those days produced most of what we had back then. For example: although 2600 Adventure's graphics were nothing to shout over, it's concept withstood the test of time. People still enjoy playing the basic concept. 5200 Adventure II adds more to the basic because there's more room for it, such as using the bridge horizontally and reviving dead dragons, -that don't mean it can't be done on the VCS. The horizontal bridge concept was just not possible (or thought of) with only one button to play, but what if Warren thought of using the 2nd controller's button for rotating? or maybe there was no time or space left for that,- but it is doable. Not all features at once - but selectively yes. And there are 8k adventure hacks that may fit it.

Now the visuals is another story and don't have much direct impact on the game's concept (except in the room designing of course). ADV II would not 'look' the same if all the programing and art were done alone. It may look more like VCS graphics (with alot more colors applied!) as was like-wise the case for Warren's scenario. BUT the game's concept is still there, intact! And nowadays we got hombrewers teaming up with artists who produce games on 25+ year old systems that I can see are simply WoWing us! All we can think of is "Could games like this have been possible then?" The answer is yes and no. Yes if it were all about teamwork and no because that's what was lacking then! And I believe the VCS is going to stick around for a long time as long as the right kind of people will have a passion to continue beyond it's potential given it's age. At least, it's getting possible now because the circumstances ARE different -programers, homebrewers are doing what they love to do, working at their own pace, calling the shots using all kinds of advanced resources at their disposal, getting contributors and support, praise, appreciation, fans and recongnition. They're still underpaid though. Man, I mean -- some homebrewers finance their projects out of their own pockets laboring in their work for free! But it's a labor of love --and they're hav'in a blast! :cool: :cool: :party:

Edited by espire8

This game looks great sounds great and will be great if it ever gets released jezz

is this 2006 or 1976

this game should have been done last year the technology is more then there :D

dude, the guy is making this in his spare time. Cut him some slack, real life has a way of getting in the way of the fun stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

This game looks great sounds great and will be great if it ever gets released jezz

is this 2006 or 1976

Yeah, Cafeman is really being negligent and inconsiderate, developing a great game without getting paid for it, in his spare time, at the expense of his real life. How thoughtless of him!

And yeah -- I know the game will eventually be sold. But the amount of money made on the game will be peanuts compared to the time the guy has likely put into it. It's a labour of love and we all benefit from it!

Edited by DracIsBack

is this 2006 or 1976

It's alot easier NOT being a programer and playing a finished game on your own spare time. REMEMBER: Cafeman is NOT getting paid by the hour to do this, ya know. In any event, It'll be worth the wait. :)