IGNORED

Have you ever found anything at a Salvation Army?

BatmiteReturns

A month ago I found an Odyssey2 and about seven boxed games at a Salvation Army. I have about the same luck at the Salvation Army as I do at Goodwill -- they both usually have nothing, but a hit now and then keeps me going back. -- RG

Thrift stores are tougher than most other avenues you will pursue.

I went to Penn near route 80. I think it was in or near Stroudsburg. Just happened to drop in this Salvation Army. Anyway, there were several Atari 2600 carts sitting there. Nothing really rare, but they were only 50 cents each. I also bought some board games for 89 cents each.

There is also a bigger Salvation Army in Paramus, NJ. This one had boxed SMS and Genesis games. I took the 4 boxed SMS games, nice condition, for $5.00 each. They were Zaxxon 3-D, Cyborg Hunter, Spellcaster, and Golvellius. I know I didn't need the Zaxxon, but the other 3 were missing from my collection. At least I think they are. If not, I do know I need the boxes since the art wasn't familiar. So, you may not find them that often, but they are there. Look at the thread of: 25 Garage Sales and I found Nothing in this message board. I gave one hell of a speech on how to acquire games.

Phil

The salvation army near me is really small, I've been in there a couple of times but they havn't had anything, about the best I've done at a thrift store was a place called savers, I found a couple of gemstix controllers burried under a pile of old computers, that's about it though.

You lucky person! I live very close to Paramus(about 2 or 3 towns away). I haven't really actually gone there yet(to the Salvation Army) and I plan on going there next week. How far do you live away from Paramus? I hope I'll find some good stuff, plus maybe you're right, I'll might find nothing.

The thrift store in my town has nothing, only some sort of computer I've never heard of. It's called the Resale Shop. There is another one in Emerson that's smaller than the one in my town, I've never been there though.

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: BlueGround Games ]

About 3 yrs ago.. I did find a 2600a (with one of the dif switches broken off/out).. no power supply... no sticks... no games.... and they only wanted $45 bucks for it!!! WHAT A BARGIN!!!! (yes.. this is a true story..from Sal Army in Alex VA off of Rte 236..)

Salvation Army has always been lean for me, too. I don't go out of my way to look in them anymore. Even if I happen to pass right by one in my travels, I rarely bother to go in.

My best finds from a Salvation Army are a loose 2600 Star Wars Arcade cartridge and, on another occasion, a loose Miner 2049er. But those finds were at least four years ago.

Ben

I've found 2 boxed games with manuals at a local Salvation Army store, Atari 2600 Ms. Pac-Man and Atari 7800 Donkey Kong. I picked them up for $3 each, not a steal but was worth it-- My first boxed games and my only Atari finds at a Salvation Army store.

Usually I find NES items at the Salvation Army stores. I recently bought 2 NES systems with 8 games, 3 controllers, 1 Light gun, power supplies and RF adapters for $25. I also got 2 controllers, 1 Light gun, Power supply and RF adapter for $6.

The best places to look while thrifting is usually Goodwill or local thrift stores. I found a Atari 2600 system with everything but no games for $3 at Backstreet Missions, a local thrift store.

At Goodwill I picked up a boxed Atari 2600 6-Switch Sunnvale with 4 boed games with manuals for $15. Recently sold the system for $74 on eBay.

I also picked up 10 loose games for 50¢ each at Goodwill. They also have had a Sega Genesis and controllers for $6 and NES for $10.

I've been looking since around Novemeber of last year, usually I am lucky to see something video game related about once a month.

I moved back to Albuquerque in February. I'd been living in a small town in northern Michigan, so naturally I was drooling at the prospect of returning to all of my old thrift-shop haunts. Talk about dried up! I did find a new four-switch VCS at one of the Goodwills here, though. (You can never have too many.) I also found a Stargate cart at this weird little gaming store called Game Zone or something like that.

Regarding the Salvation Army, I found an XE model Atari 8-bit, still in the box and styrofoam. It works like brand-new. Ten bucks. Since then, not even a Pac-Man cart to tease me. It just goes to show you how much luck's involved.

Pickings are now *very* slim at thrift stores like Salvation Army, but the carts used to flow like wine several years ago. I once walked out of a SA with TWO working 2600 jrs with all cables and a box filled with carts. All for $25. I used to be able to get carts *each* time I went thrifting - and usually I'd get at least one item my collection didn't have. Carts like Tapper, Survival Run, and even the Avalon Hill stuff came from the thrifts.

Now, I'm lucky if I come across an old forgotten Combat tucked amongst the 8-track tapes.