IGNORED

Rally X

sandmountainslim

Hi there!

Just buy the Pac-Man PNP joystick. It has a very nice port of Rally-X on it!! I loved the arcade game, and trust me on this, it's a great port!!

It's pretty good considering that it's just a port. A few changes have been applied though, to make it a little easier I think. So is the S-Flag blinking on the radar and there's fewer cars chasing you. Also, the music has been altered.

Greetings,

Manuel

Unless my memory is failing me, I believe the arcade version had the flashing "S" flag on the radar....although, it's been 20 years since I played it....so I could be imagioning things. I do recall that the # of cars increases after the 1st bonus level(I don't count during the bonus stage, because they don't come after you unless you've wasted a lot of time), which I believe happens on the joystick version.

That's crazy. I would rather have a 2600 version.

I played both of the demos and they look like they could be fun. The flicker is crazy in both of them, though.

980573[/snapback]

Did you play the "Rally B" demo? The flicker isn't too bad - just the car's wheels (think of it as shading instead of flicker, giving the illusion of motion and/or multicolored sprites.)

This has been updated to include the real maze. You can drive around the maze, but it's still a demo. The baddies can't kill you, they don't really know where they are going and sometimes get caught in walls, and the flags can't be picked up (and are also often in the walls.)

Also, this has 1 byte left in the 4k, so I need to update batari Basic to create 8k bankswitched binaries before I can continue work on this. Patience, grasshopper.

rallyB_002.bin

• 1 month later...
Here's a demo in batari Basic.  It will never be as good as Rally X, as there will be no radar screen and the graphics will be minimal, but it should have the gameplay elements intact.

I don't know why I didn't download that earlier--it is really neat! I would suggest that rather than have a crash car of the player's color, the flip-screen sprite be used for the flag (the "pole" would be solid but the flag part would flicker).

I wonder how well the game would play if there was a limit of two crash-cars on screen at once? I'd suggest having a flag for each crash car that would indicate whether it was on-screen, and a flag that would indicate that it had tried come on screen when there were already two there. In the latter case, the car would be invisible and harmless, and it would try to go away from the player until it was off-screen (once off-screen, the flag would be cleared so if the car again came on-screen when there weren't already two cars there it would be visible and dangerous.

Otherwise, extremely clever use of the missiles!

• 1 year later...
It is high time to bump this thread!

What ever happend to Project Rally X?

This is one I would buy on cart as soon as it was released.

WP

It might be SpiceWare's next release - we shall see.

Yep, though don't look for it until next year. I'm currently helping espire8 on Cannonfire, then I'm going to write a Mac OS X AtariVox program.

It is high time to bump this thread!

What ever happend to Project Rally X?

This is one I would buy on cart as soon as it was released.

WP

It might be SpiceWare's next release - we shall see.

Yep, though don't look for it until next year. I'm currently helping espire8 on Cannonfire, then I'm going to write a Mac OS X AtariVox program.

Good Deal!

Next year is plenty soon enough to see this baby ready to go.

WP

• 1 year later...
Did you play the "Rally B" demo? The flicker isn't too bad - just the car's wheels (think of it as shading instead of flicker, giving the illusion of motion and/or multicolored sprites.)

This has been updated to include the real maze. You can drive around the maze, but it's still a demo. The baddies can't kill you, they don't really know where they are going and sometimes get caught in walls, and the flags can't be picked up (and are also often in the walls.)

Also, this has 1 byte left in the 4k, so I need to update batari Basic to create 8k bankswitched binaries before I can continue work on this. Patience, grasshopper.

Has any more work been done on the Rally B demo?

This would be one cool little game.

Wp

• 7 months later...
As long as someone hacks the graphics into radar rat race, I'll be be happy :) I always preferred the vic RRR to the arcade RX.

Why do you prefer Radar Rat Race from Vic20 more than Rally-X?

I have played RRR (only on an emulator) and think is not that good.. (well, at least they have a clone of RX).

I think New Rally-X (arcade) has better playability.

probably because, like many 2600 arcade ports that I prefer to their arcade originals, the home version isn't trying to get my quarters. It's already got my money by getting me to buy the game, so it will let me enjoy it's gameplay without the annoyance of economy fueled difficulty. Plus, really, there were enough car things in videogamedom even back then, but now, a rat as the star of a video game is downright novel :) i always imagined him as a stainless steel rat.

• 4 weeks later...