IGNORED

Solar Plexus officially released!

Jess Ragan

http://www.atariage.com/store/product_info...products_id=336

Solar Plexus is now available for your Atari 2600 game system! An eight page instruction manual is included with the game, featuring handy tips, an exciting storyline, and a full color illustration created by Nathan Strum and myself.

The game itself was inspired by the 2600 release Solar Fox, as well as the more obscure Fairchild Channel F game Dodge It. You zip around the screen, grabbing fuel pods while trying to dodge a deadly fireball. The better you get, the more determined it becomes to destroy you. Keep a steady hand on that joystick and you might just live long enough to see its final, most dangerous form!

Fans of twitch gaming should really enjoy Solar Plexus, and at just twenty dollars, nearly every fan of the Atari 2600 can afford it. Pick up a copy today, and make the holidays even happier for that classic gamer in your life!

JR

Sadly too many homebrews I need at the moment, not enough money, so only had 4 or 5 in my basket and the Holiday cart. This wasn't one that made it, because I don't know if it runs in PAL properly. Jess? If it does, I'll defo consider getting it after Xmas.

I don't know for sure.  It's a good question, though... anyone know how I can test the game for PAL compatibility?

Send me the ROM to try out on my CC2? ;)

Actually one way you could at least see from a perspective POV would be to fire up X26 and boot the ROM in both NTSC and PAL mode (you can choose which to inact within the options).

I highly suspect you would need to change the colour palette. Your comments suggest there is no PAL support currently heh. So it'll either look funny colour wise, or worse, roll or flicker a lot.

You can download the game from my web site, which should be listed in my signature. In the meantime, I'll definitely try setting X26 in PAL mode and running the game that way.

JR

EDIT: Oh yeah, those colors are definitely crazy. Anyone got a conversion table I can use to fix them?

Edited by Jess Ragan

Thanks!  So, are we going to see an official cartridge release of The Ooze?

JR

978544[/snapback]

Yes! The game is solid, but needs one more round of spit 'n polish. I plan to get the release canidate up this weekend for more intense playtesting. Gotta sort out the level progression and overall difficulty issues.

Since this has come up, how does one start the process? I want to package Ooze, the source code and the development notes all together in the box, along with some introductory Batari Basic information links. The idea is to play the game, see how the game was made and hopefully encourage more people to write games!

Originally, I was going to ask these questions a coupla months ago, but decided to let the compo run it's course first. Partly for the comments and a reality check on the game itself, and partly because I didn't want to be seen as vote whoring.

Now that's it's all over, I'm eager to start getting a cart going.

Well, in my case, I just designed an instruction manual with OpenOffice and created a cartridge label along with illustrator Nathan Strum. I sent everything to AtariAge editor Albert Yarusso, and he did the rest. It was a breeze, and it took less than a week for the game to be released after the cartridge art and manual were completed. It didn't cost me a penny out of pocket; all the publishing expenses were handled by AtariAge.

If you're going to package the game in a box, with a CD-ROM, it'll take a little more work. I don't know who makes 2600 boxes... Atari Age might, but you'll need to talk to Albert to verify this. If you want to include the source code with the package, I'd suggest copying the data to some miniature CDs; something that would easily fit in the box along with the cartridge and instructions. You'd have to foot the bill for this, but if you're intent on including the source code with the game, this is probably the best way to do it.

JR

Well, in my case, I just designed an instruction manual with OpenOffice and created a cartridge label along with illustrator Nathan Strum.  I sent everything to AtariAge editor Albert Yarusso, and he did the rest.  It was a breeze, and it took less than a week for the game to be released after the cartridge art and manual were completed.  It didn't cost me a penny out of pocket; all the publishing expenses were handled by AtariAge.

If you're going to package the game in a box, with a CD-ROM, it'll take a little more work.  I don't know who makes 2600 boxes... Atari Age might, but you'll need to talk to Albert to verify this.  If you want to include the source code with the package, I'd suggest copying the data to some miniature CDs; something that would easily fit in the box along with the cartridge and instructions.  You'd have to foot the bill for this, but if you're intent on including the source code with the game, this is probably the best way to do it.

JR

980357[/snapback]

Thanks, that helps a lot. Perhaps a box is too much, but putting the goodies on a CD is an excellent idea. I could make a nice set and just send 'em to AA for shipment with any carts they happen to sell. Drop one of those in a sleeve and it can go right in with the cart and manual.

• 1 month later...