IGNORED

Whohoo & oh F#@k!

Gaztee

Hiya Guys,

Well I finally got to play my 5200 today, well sort of! I got an adaptor which I mamnaged to plug in to my PC & I tuned the PC so I got a nice snowy (sometimes very flicky!) B&W screen. Well at least Iknow it works ok & wow what is it with the joysticks man their mad. I hope you get used to them with practice :D Anyhoo, definatley gonna get myself a nice new tv to play it on when I go to Vegas in March. Might even see about getting it modded for s-video. :cool:

Anyhoo then look what i gone & dun :sad: the huge great beast slipped in my hand & broke the joystick cover #@#@#@#@#@! Can i get a spare one from somewhere???

Cheers

Gaztee

:twisted:

PS Does Pitfall 2 on the 5200 have one or two levels in the game??

post-760-1134519982_thumb.jpg

... wow what is it with the joysticks man their mad. I hope you get used to them with practice :D

It takes a little while to find the right hand positions. But IMO, they're pretty good devices once you know how to handle them.

Anyhoo then look what i gone & dun :sad: the huge great beast slipped in my hand & broke the joystick cover

:_(

Edited by JB

just check ebay, i noticed they have had a lot of Joysticks for the 5200 on there lately.

Edit: scratch Ebay, just go to best Electronic web site and see if they have the back cover, yeah i just reread your post and realized you were not talking about the Joystick casing.

RA

Edited by Retro Archaeologist

the huge great beast slipped in my hand & broke the joystick cover

982124[/snapback]

/action smacks Gaztee with a large trout ;)

Personaly, if it was me, I'd fix it, as I'm not that much of a purist. But that's me. To that end, Plastic Fusion is an amazing product that would be good for this. For both glueing the shards together and for filling. JB Weld (original, not quickset) is good too, albeit harder to work with. (I've never used the quickset one myself so I don't know how it compares).

Now be more careful next time before we come and take it away from you. :P

Edited by Artlover

but wait, this says you're in the UK? Are you really buying NTSC equipment (re: Vegas)?
Yup I am in the UK & yes I intend to buy a HDTV in Vegas, mainly to play my 5200 as it has the NTSC socket on it. Your tv's are a hell of a lot cheaper than here in the UK & the technology is at least 6 months ahead & as HDTV is a worldwide standard, I figure I get the best of both worlds :D

action smacks Gaztee with a large trout
So that was why nobody at work talked to me today! Gee thanks man :cool:

Now be more careful next time before we come and take it away from you.
my bad will be more careful in future, honest :ponder:

Plastic Fusion is an amazing product
No idea what this is, but my guess is I'd end up with more stuck to me than the 5200!

Cheers

Gaztee

• 3 months later...
but wait, this says you're in the UK? Are you really buying NTSC equipment (re: Vegas)?
Yup I am in the UK & yes I intend to buy a HDTV in Vegas, mainly to play my 5200 as it has the NTSC socket on it. Your tv's are a hell of a lot cheaper than here in the UK & the technology is at least 6 months ahead & as HDTV is a worldwide standard, I figure I get the best of both worlds :D

action smacks Gaztee with a large trout
So that was why nobody at work talked to me today! Gee thanks man :cool:

Now be more careful next time before we come and take it away from you.
my bad will be more careful in future, honest :ponder:

Plastic Fusion is an amazing product
No idea what this is, but my guess is I'd end up with more stuck to me than the 5200!

Cheers

Gaztee

Well, I bought myself a nice 15" HDTV from Fry Electronics in Vegas, got back today (Sat) and it works a treat. The box fitted snuggly in my suitcase, so now I can have retro-gaming on my State of the art LCD HDTV whohoo :cool: And as an added bonus the adaptor that runs the TV accepts 240v, so no need for a setdown converter ;)

Gaztee

Actually, the analog format of HDTV (Y Pb Pr) should be pretty much standard with the refresh rate being the only variable, and MPEG 2 is standard, but the way that the HDTV is broadcast over RF is not a worldwide standard. The ATSC system in the USA broadcasts over 8VSB modulation, and digital cable TV in the USA uses QAM modulation, while the UK is using COFDM for its digital TV. Without getting into the flame war that is 8VSB vs COFDM, I will just say that they are completely different, not only technically, but also logistically as in where you put the broadcast antennas.

But the set you got may not even have had an ATSC tuner, if it's only 15 inches.

And consider yourself lucky if it works fine with 2600 and ColecoVision games. 2600 games have variable scan line counts, and some LCD TVs don't like that. The ColecoVision apparently has a slightly wrong scanline count (I have a 15" LCD which doesn't like it), but that's a problem with the chipset and will cause every game to not work.

But IMO, they're pretty good devices once you know how to handle them.

This statement says more about human adaptability than it does about the 5200 controller's (awful) design.

Yes. They lock onto whatever they use first, and refuse to let it go when something new rolls along, regardless of which one's actually better.

Some of them even come back to attack people 3 months after the fact for saying as much.

If the top is acrylic, which I think it is, you can get acrylic cement to bond it.

It is called IPS WELD ON. Use # 4 (which has the consistency of water) or if you like gel, the "Sweet 16" is a good choice too.

You may have to look around some to find it. Plastics manufacturing shops, and machine shops may be able to get you some.

#4 is used to glue all those neat little acrylic display stands and card holders you see on countertops and restruaunt tables, etc.

It is easy to work with, depending if you have a clean break, and if you use it right, you may not see the seem at all.