IGNORED

Star Wars Dark Empire Hack 2600

ILA2600

This is my first game hack, I hacked the Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back game, to be a version of Dark Empire, from Dark Horse Comics, I changed the snow speeder to a V-Wing air speeder, and I changed the At-At's to World Devastators!!!, I wanted to change the background colors to represent Calamari, but could'nt figure it out!!,let me know what you think about the hack!

This is the final version of Dark Empire!

Star_Wars___Dark_Empire.bin

Edited by ILA2600

Thank you Lord Helmet, :D I plan on doing more, can some one help me find the backgroung graphics to the Empire Strikes Back for the atari 2600, or change them for me, and post it for me, I need the bottom ground area Brown, the area where the walkers are walking can stay blue, the mountain area needs to be gray, and the sky a light blue color, if any one can help me I would really apriciate it, thank you!!!

Edited by ILA2600

Sky Colour at offset 3639

Mountain Colour at offset 3640

Walker Area at offset 3641

Bottom Ground at offset 3642

In hex with defaults

0E37:$4E $8E $8C $60

With your colours

0E37:$AC,$09,$88,$22

Edited to add the source in case someone wants it for more hacking...

command line

dasm.exe ESB.s -f3 -oESB.bin

Builds an identical binary to original.

esb_mod.bin

ESB.zip

Edited by djmips

Sky Colour at offset 3639

Mountain Colour at offset 3640

Walker Area at offset 3641

Bottom Ground at offset 3642

In hex with defaults

0E37:$4E $8E $8C $60

With your colours

0E37:$AC,$09,$88,$22

Edited to add the source in case someone wants it for more hacking...

command line

dasm.exe ESB.s -f3 -oESB.bin

Builds an identical binary to original.

Thank you djmips, I'm new to hacking, could you please tell me what program to use to do the editing, I have Hack-O-Matic][, Hex Editor, and Bit Hacker, I get easily lost when it comes to hex stuff?, and thank you for helping me!!!

982883[/snapback]

Thank you djmips, I'm new to hacking, could you please tell me what program to use to do the editing, I have Hack-O-Matic][, Hex Editor, and Bit Hacker, I get easily lost when it comes to hex stuff?, and thank you for helping me!!!

982955[/snapback]

I haven't used any of those tools. Maybe someone else can help?

One of my first attempts at hacking a 2600 cart was "The Empire Strikes Back" too! :)

I tried to change the AT-ATs into the smaller Scout Walkers. I had it looking pretty decent except the flashing portal thingy that you can shoot to destroy the walker would show up in an area that used to be occupied by the larger AT-AT graphics.

And since I know nothing about Z80, I gave up pretty quickly. Maybe I can find the roms and posts it here for some advice...

I have a new atari game hack, it's a hack of Asteroids called : Star Wars Escape From Hoth, I changed the asteroids brown, and put crators in them changed the small ship ( Player 1) to look as closly to the Millenium Falcon ( Light Gray) ( Not an easy thing to do!), changed the O symbol for shields to look like the rebel emblem on Lukes Helmet ( The Red one ), changed the satalite to a Star Destroyer (Light Gray), and changed the small UFO to a Tie Fighter ( Blue) I worked very hard on this hack please let me know how you like it!!! :D

scroll down please

Edited by ILA2600

I have a new atari game hack, it's a hack of Asteroids called : Star Wars Escape From Hoth, I changed the asteroids brown, and put crators in them changed the small ship ( Player 1) to look as closly to the Millenium Falcon ( Light Gray)  ( Not an easy thing to do!), changed the O symbol for shields to look like the rebel emblem on Lukes Helmet ( The Red one ), changed the satalite to a Star Destroyer (Light Gray), and changed the small UFO to a Tie Fighter ( Blue) I worked very hard on this hack please let me know how you like it!!! :D

984993[/snapback]

Thats pretty fun!! You need to add one more pixel to the left side of falcon but aside form that it's one of the more intresting Asteroids hacks I've tried.

One of my first attempts at hacking a 2600 cart was "The Empire Strikes Back" too! :)

I tried to change the AT-ATs into the smaller Scout Walkers.  I had it looking pretty decent except the flashing portal thingy that you can shoot to destroy the walker would show up in an area that used to be occupied by the larger AT-AT graphics. 

And since I know nothing about Z80, I gave up pretty quickly.  Maybe I can find the roms and posts it here for some advice...

983540[/snapback]

Thats a neat idea Jerky, you can try it again, just erase the top portion of the At At's, and use the leg areas to do the Scout Walkers, you could animate the Scout Walker walking, and still have it small! it could'nt hurt to try it!!, anything is posible!! :)

Edited by ILA2600

I tried to change the AT-ATs into the smaller Scout Walkers.  I had it looking pretty decent except the flashing portal thingy that you can shoot to destroy the walker would show up in an area that used to be occupied by the larger AT-AT graphics. 

And since I know nothing about Z80, I gave up pretty quickly.  Maybe I can find the roms and posts it here for some advice...

983540[/snapback]

Thats a neat idea Jerky, you can try it again, just erase the top portion of the At At's, and use the leg areas to do the Scout Walkers, you could animate the Scout Walker walking, and still have it small! it could'nt hurt to try it!!, anything is posible!! :)

985114[/snapback]

Here it is the final version of Star Wars Escape From Hoth, I re did the graphics to the Falcon, and made the asteroids shades of Gray, and Brown, this will be my final version,enjoy!!!!

Star_Wars___Escape_from_Hoth.bin

Edited by ILA2600

Thats a neat idea Jerky, you can try it again, just erase the top portion of the At At's, and use the leg areas to do the Scout Walkers, you could animate the Scout Walker walking, and still have it small! it could'nt hurt to try it!!, anything is posible!!  :)

985114[/snapback]

Well, here is what I pretty much had before I gave up. I created lame versions of the Scout Walkers. And when I saw it shooting from areas that were filled by the original graphics, I gave up.

Here is a screenshot and the .bin

post-4659-1135309085_thumb.png

Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back: Crappy Scout Walker Attack!

AT_ST.BIN

• Like 1

And for anyone who wanted to have this game on a real Parker Brothers cart then here's your Star Wars: Dark Empire label I made using images form the origanl 1991 comic I have. :cool: Then I colored the sky and even drew the V-Wing from the Star Wars Ship's blueprints page and color it to macth the old Star Wars Parker Brothers art work.

post-5587-1135452724_thumb.jpg

Edited by Atariboy2600

here's a snapshot of Star Wars Dark Empire!!

990092[/snapback]

Cool. I like to play it someday once I get a pc that Im not on linux.

BTW did you like the Parker BRothers label I made?

990185[/snapback]

I'm glad you like it , I love the Parker Brothers Label you made, and the Atari cart version too, they look very OFFICIAL!, I wish I could find some one to put these games on carts for me! :thumbsup:

Edited by ILA2600

here's a snapshot of Star Wars Dark Empire!!

990092[/snapback]

Cool. I like to play it someday once I get a pc that Im not on linux.

BTW did you like the Parker BRothers label I made?

990185[/snapback]

I'm glad you like it , I love the Parker Brothers Label you made, and the Atari cart version too, they look very OFFICIAL!, I wish I could find some one to put these games on carts for me! :thumbsup:

990428[/snapback]

Well it also helps that Im a huge Star Wars fan and to show you how much here's some links of my Star Wars art works.

My Paper Millennium Falcon

Tiny Toon Meets Star Wars.

Star Bored: A Tiny Toon/Star Wars Parody.

Star Bored: A New Joke traler.

Wicked paint job on that mini-Millenium Falcon! Working with cardboard isn't a typical modelling medium, but that turned out really well.

I've bookmarked your topic here; I'm eager to try out the hacks contained within. The World Devastator still looks a bit odd, but I never read the DE comics, so I've never envisioned how a 2600 version might look.