IGNORED

Is there a PGR type game on PS2?

Lost Monkey

I have been addicted to the style of Project Gotham Racing since Metropolis Street Racer on the DC... is there a (good) clone of PGR on the PS2?

The XBOX games are great, and one of the few reasons for me to have an XBOX, but I would like see what else is out there in a similar vein...

If there are any on the GCN let me know too...

I have been addicted to the style of Project Gotham Racing since Metropolis Street Racer on the DC... is there a (good) clone of PGR on the PS2?

The XBOX games are great, and one of the few reasons for me to have an XBOX, but I would like see what else is out there in a similar vein...

982380[/snapback]

It depends on what you like about PGR. The unique aspects of PGR (e.g. the kudos system) are not really replicated in any other game and that's what made the original MSR so special. There also aren't that many online racing games.

But if you're just looking for a semi-realistic racing game, I mean GT4 is probably even better than PGR. If you want online, there's always Midnight Club 3 (though it's much more arcade-like than PGR).

But there's no game that has really the exact same combination of features, and definitely none that have something like the kudos system.

Oh forgot one series. If you like the "acradey" aspects of racing. check out the burnout series 2 and after on the XBOX. They are some of the better arcade racers out there and the sense of speed is quite good.

Shame EA took over and now releases a version each year... :x :x :x

Am I the only one who finds the Gran Turismo series has become really boring? I loved the first two, when the whole idea of buying a car and earning cash to fix it up was new. But GT4 in particular really dissappointed me. It was essentially the same as GT3 only with more cars. The AI was still pathetic, the races were still boring and there was no online play. On the other hand, you had Forza which did everything GT did only better, with intelligent AI, more customisation, and brilliant online play.

Neither are anything like PGR though... I'm not sure if I'm enjoying PGR3 more than 2 yet.

Edited by IronMongeR

Am I the only one who finds the Gran Turismo series has become really boring?

983135[/snapback]

Has become boring? It was that way right from the start for me.

JR

983139[/snapback]

I would have to agree there... the 1st GT really turned me off, even though the car selection and models were astounding at the time.

Sega GT was really disappointing to me as well... I found both games (Sega GT and GT) to be more like work than play...

That's not to say that I don't like realism - I really liked Test Drive Lemans on the DC - I just don't groove on the "you have to win so many races with the shitmobile first" type of format...

On second thought, it's not really having to start off small and "work" for the cars that I don't like, it is the presentation... for example, with R4 you get to choose a car, and as you win, you get upgraded during the cutscenes between races - I LIKE THAT - it is a reward... with GT, you have to go through all this other shit which (again) to me feels like work...

The reason I like the kudos system is because of how it rewards you for driving on the edge without falling off - kind of like the burn meter in Burnout (which I also like a lot)...

I love "sim" racing, and right now FORZA is the clear champion. Jump online if you'de like.

As for the king of non sims, in my opinion its burnout. Great physics for an arcade racer, but not silly physics. AWESOME sense of speed when driving through oncoming traffic. ACTUAL traffic on the streets, but still a racing game. Then finally add on online and crash mode for even more hours of fun. We play crash mode a ton.

Again, its a shame EA got their hands on it though.... :x :x :x :x

Am I the only one who finds the Gran Turismo series has become really boring?

983135[/snapback]

Has become boring? It was that way right from the start for me.

JR

983139[/snapback]

I would have to agree there... the 1st GT really turned me off, even though the car selection and models were astounding at the time.

Sega GT was really disappointing to me as well... I found both games (Sega GT and GT) to be more like work than play...

That's not to say that I don't like realism - I really liked Test Drive Lemans on the DC - I just don't groove on the "you have to win so many races with the shitmobile first" type of format...

983146[/snapback]

See, I feel the opposite way. I don't like Gran Tourismo or Sega GT either, but I don't mind unlocking hidden goodies as long as the journey is as rewarding as the destination. It's FUN earning new cars and races in Burnout and even Mario Kart DS, but in games like Gran Tourismo, it's a total drag. The cars feel like you're steering a cow through a cornfield! When I press right on the controller, I want my vehicle to respond RIGHT NOW, not two seconds later. Maybe it's more "realistic" that way, but if I wanted that kind of realism, I'd drive a school bus.

JR

...if I wanted that kind of realism, I'd drive a school bus.

:lol:

I've never been a big fan of the "realistic" sim-style racing games.

A friend has one of the Project Gotham games on his XBOX and I enjoyed that, but for me no racing game has ever compared to Burnout 2. (I look forward to getting Burnout 3, assuming I get the XBOX for Christmas... no 'Cube version!) I eventually got the original Burnout when I saw it for $10 and ended up selling it... no comparison when I was already used to Burnout 2!

From what I've heard, Burnout 3 is by far the best in the series, which is saying something, considering how good 2 is.

:lol:

I've never been a big fan of the "realistic" sim-style racing games.

A friend has one of the Project Gotham games on his XBOX and I enjoyed that, but for me no racing game has ever compared to Burnout 2. (I look forward to getting Burnout 3, assuming I get the XBOX for Christmas... no 'Cube version!) I eventually got the original Burnout when I saw it for $10 and ended up selling it... no comparison when I was already used to Burnout 2!

From what I've heard, Burnout 3 is by far the best in the series, which is saying something, considering how good 2 is.

983659[/snapback]

Burnout 3 is good, but clearly has EA touch for good or bad. Revenge is even better and deeper IMHO. If you get an XBOX/PS2/PSP its worth looking into if you like Burnout 2. Im a HUGE fan of burnout 2 and love 3 and revenge. BTW, EA pretty much took over after 2 so we can look forward to a new burnout every year. So far that seems to be the case at least. :sad: :| :)

I like both sim type and arcade racers but wind up playing arcade ones much more often. I loved MSR on the DC but couldn't into Sega GT or F1 Ferrari(whatever that was called, can't remember)as much. In all honesty, Indy 500 on the VCS is still my favorite racing game.

Edited by joeybastard

Burnout 3 is good, but clearly has EA touch for good or bad. Revenge is even better and deeper IMHO. If you get an XBOX/PS2/PSP its worth looking into if you like Burnout 2. Im a HUGE fan of burnout 2 and love 3 and revenge. BTW, EA pretty much took over after 2 so we can look forward to a new burnout every year. So far that seems to be the case at least.  :sad:  :|  :)

983924[/snapback]

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, unless they start screwing around with the formula. There's already talk that they're thinking of adding tuning and car customization options, which is not only a desperate attempt to pander to the "pimp my ride" crowd but completely misses the point of an ARCADE-STYLE racing game. In the end, the whiners will get their way, and Burnout will make a hideous transformation into yet another boring, bloated simulation. Fortunately, I always have Burnouts 3, Legends, and even Revenge to fall back on when that happens.

JR

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, unless they start screwing around with the formula.  There's already talk that they're thinking of adding tuning and car customization options, which is not only a desperate attempt to pander to the "pimp my ride" crowd but completely misses the point of an ARCADE-STYLE racing game.  In the end, the whiners will get their way, and Burnout will make a hideous transformation into yet another boring, bloated simulation.  Fortunately, I always have Burnouts 3, Legends, and even Revenge to fall back on when that happens.

JR

983990[/snapback]

That is typical EA treatment though. "Pimp my ....." That and shipping less than full sequels. Not much different between 3 and Revenge... Oh well something else will come along by someone else.

Well, I give you points for being a TD Le Mans fan, which I still think is one of the best racing games ever made and virtually nobody has even played it. The amazing thing about TD Le Mans is you really could do the full 24 hour race if you wanted to! But otherwise, that's one of the few games where the opposing drivers have realistic AI - they will block you, they will sit back if you block them, some drivers are aggressive, others passive, etc. And I remember being absolutely awed seeing 24 cars on the track all at once - on the Dreamcast!

The PS2 version of this game that they eventually released, called Le Mans 24 Hours, had watered-down physics and less realistic graphics. So a lot of people played it, dismissed it as a lightweight game, and never considered that the DC release was basically a different game.

But as for the GT series, I actually *like* "driving the shitmobile". I think that's what GT fans actually buy the game for. I can drive supercars in any racing game, but there's nothing more fun to me than trying to beat a vintage Ford GT40 with a souped up PT Cruiser. I mean, come on! You just can't do that in any other racing game.

I think the GT series does need a revamp, but I hope it never loses its status as a "car library". I thought GT3 was a major disappointment because the number of cars was drastically reduced from GT2. And I do enjoy having a lot of stuff to unlock.

The reason I like the kudos system is because of how it rewards you for driving on the edge without falling off - kind of like the burn meter in Burnout (which I also like a lot)...

983146[/snapback]

I do like the kudos system too. The problem with PGR3, though, again is that they've drastically reduced the number of available cars from the previous version. And all that's left are supercars. That's not fun to me; I like to drive cars that are basically attainable, and use them to beat cars I could never afford. It's goddamn class warfare when I race.

I also just could never get the kudos system to work well with any of the supercars. It's too tough to do a controlled drift in a Saleen S7 or whatever. Put me in a Mini Cooper and I can rack up kudos points till the cows come home; and endless chain from start to finish at almost any race. I just can't do that in the supercars. That's one of the big minuses to the kudos system; you're rewarded with better cars as the game goes on, but it actually gets tougher to rack up kudos points as a result.

Burnout 3 is good, but clearly has EA touch for good or bad. Revenge is even better and deeper IMHO. If you get an XBOX/PS2/PSP its worth looking into if you like Burnout 2. Im a HUGE fan of burnout 2 and love 3 and revenge. BTW, EA pretty much took over after 2 so we can look forward to a new burnout every year. So far that seems to be the case at least.  :sad:  :|  :)

Yeah, Burnout Revenge is definitely better than 3. But these are both very different games to 1 & 2. So I guess the best Burnout game is 2 and 4.

I've tried them all on all platforms and I've stuck with Burnout 2 on the Gamecube (because the control is so good) and Revenge on the Xbox (as it's graphically next gen)

That said, the first game is still surprisingly good, and visually still pretty impressive.