IGNORED

Atari Emulation on a Handheld?

Fallout_002

I had an emulator on my Pocket PC. The guy was not that great, actually I think there was no GUI, but I was able to run some games and do some basic code.

I don't have taht pocket pc again, but I would google it. It should not be that hard to find.

I'm curious about the GP2x emulator for the atari 800. I know it's not complete and that the author trashed his GP2x.

How complete is it?

What's missing?

Currently the only good emulator is for the gp32.

There is one for the PSP but it has no file selector so is virtually useless.

Dunno of any others.

I'm curious about the GP2x emulator for the atari 800.  I know it's not complete and that the author trashed his GP2x.

How complete is it?

What's missing?

Dunno of any others.

985242[/snapback]

I just got a gp2x for xmas and I picked up a SD card today and plan on trying out later. I'll report back. One thing I've gleaned from the forums is that the analog stick control for the 5200 emulation isn't there yet. I really hope the gp2x becomes the 'premier' handheld emulation platform. I hope to port a few SDL emulators to it soon once I get my dev environment setup on my linux box.

My guess is that it's based off of the Atari800 emulator so as far as compatibility that is a probably a good comparison.

~telengard

I'm curious about the GP2x emulator for the atari 800.  I know it's not complete and that the author trashed his GP2x.

How complete is it?

What's missing?

Dunno of any others.

985242[/snapback]

Well, I got a new GP2X unit and all is well with this one.

The a800 port has been updated and has just about everything you need. Awesome!

Portable Alternate Reality? :)

The MAME and Sega Genesis emus absolutely F*ING ROCK as well!

Nice!  I've been outta town for a week and away from my alternate universe (the internet) and exposed to the real world.  :lol:

Does that emulator also support artifacting.

989990[/snapback]

Sure does. It has the blue/brown CTIA/GTIA modes that Atari 800win does. I just loaded up Autoduel and Lode Runner, and they looked good.

This GP2X is kicking serious emulation ass!!

Nice!  I've been outta town for a week and away from my alternate universe (the internet) and exposed to the real world.  :lol:

Does that emulator also support artifacting.

989990[/snapback]

Sure does. It has the blue/brown CTIA/GTIA modes that Atari 800win does. I just loaded up Autoduel and Lode Runner, and they looked good.

This GP2X is kicking serious emulation ass!!

990103[/snapback]

Heh, I wonder how hard Ultima III would be to play on the gp2x. ;)

I agree it's really turning out quite well. If they fix the joystick issues I will be soo sooo happy.

~telengard

Heh, I wonder how hard Ultima III would be to play on the gp2x.  ;)

I agree it's really turning out quite well.  If they fix the joystick issues I will be soo sooo happy.

~telengard

990122[/snapback]

If you made a custom keymap for a800 probably pretty easy :)

And the joystick issues have been fixed (at least those I knew of before).

This unit (and the one I had before) have decent working sticks. The stick cover however is hateful to the finger. I fixed that in short order tonight. Now it's quite nice.

post-5887-1135747036_thumb.jpg

I just need to find a black one now ;)

Nice. Can you say a bit more about the unit itself? Questions:

How bad is the analog-only joystick? (probably similar to the Zodiac I would think)

How is battery life? I've heard that certain kinds of rechargeable AAs are the best.

Does the unit feel sturdy in the hand?

Does anyone have some pics comparing it to GBA, DS, PSP, etc?

Thanks!

How bad is the analog-only joystick? (probably similar to the Zodiac I would think)

The joystick is digital not analog. It is pretty decent once you break it in a bit and get used to it. It has a larger dead zone and throw then you'd initially expect, so it takes a little getting used to. A Dpad might have been a better choice, but the stick works well enough. I do hate the cover on it though. Ouch! I also found control and responsiveness hugely improved when I took the stock top off and fashioned that little ball top for it.
How is battery life? I've heard that certain kinds of rechargeable AAs are the best.

I've only used rechargeable AAs with it so far. I'd have to guess that I'm getting 3.5-4 hours from a set. I'm using the Radioshack IC3 2000mAh NIMH 15 minute rechargeables that I initially bought for my Phoenix.
Does the unit feel sturdy in the hand?
Yes it does. The build quality is surprisingly good. Case is solid and the buttons have a nice feel to them. Keep in mind this isn't the same level of polish as a PSP. Though it does compare build quality wise to the DS

It does pick up skin oils and fingerprints worse than anything I've ever seen. Ten times worse than the PSP. I had to immediately coat the entire unit with Novus plastic polish. That fixed that nicely :)

I'll see if I can post some pics of all three of them together for comparison.

It does pick up skin oils and fingerprints worse than anything I've ever seen.  Ten times worse than the PSP.  I had to immediately coat the entire unit with Novus plastic polish.  That fixed that nicely :)
I'll see if I can post some pics of all three of them together for comparison.

990482[/snapback]

Wha??? I can't imagine anything attracting more grime and filth than the PSP. I'm pretty clean, but I disgust myself whenever I play the PSP for any length of time. Ugh.

I'd love to see those comparison pics.

So ..... the verdict: is it worth $180?

Edited by Flojomojo

I'd love to see those comparison pics.

Here ya go

post-5887-1135814497_thumb.jpgpost-5887-1135814503_thumb.jpg

post-5887-1135814510_thumb.jpgpost-5887-1135814517_thumb.jpg

post-5887-1135814524_thumb.jpg

As a bonus you can compare them all to a Tivo remote since they don't stand up nicely together on their own ;)

So ..... the verdict: is it worth $180?

Like many things - it's an individual decision - but for me, absolutely. However I will quote myself:
I highly recommend the GP2X at this point.  With the caveat that this machine is for enthusiasts - NOT for the rank and file PSP/DS/GB crowd.  Users will need to be able to read and follow directions, and be prepared to do such things as firmware upgrades.  It is not - nor is it meant for - Joe Consumer.

But damn it's a blast!  :cool:

990489[/snapback]

Right now, I've got some very nice usable emulators for: Atari 800/XL/XE, C64, Gameboy (+Color), Genesis, MAME, TurboGFX. I'm going to try out NES/SNES stuff next. Honestly, I would have bought it just for the A8, Genesis and MAME ports that exist (even in their early development days) now.

There are also initial Lynx, Neogeo and NGP (and others) ports now.

Also, I would recommend the following sellers to GP2X buyers: UK/Europe - GBAX and US/Canada Dynasim

Edited by remowilliams

For me it would be worth it alone just for the a800 emulation. The Gamepark handhelds and the dreamcast are the only consoles to get worthy a800 emulators. In fact I'd love my gp32 more if it wasn't for the craptastic joystick and the screen has a yellowish tint and smudges easily. Supposedly the screen can replaced with something clearer. I'm not sure what I want to do with the stick. But a800 emulation runs just a tad slow on it, so I think the GP2x will do just fine.

Besides there is a nice looking PS1 emulator in the works for it as well.

Genesis, snes, tg16, and colecovision emulators sure would be nice as well. Mame looks really good. How is the sound on it? I know the initial releases they said the sound was foobared.

Luckily it uses the same type power supply as the GP32 so I'm pretty much good to go. Yet another incentive to get one.

Edited by Shannon

For me it would be worth it alone just for the a800 emulation.  The Gamepark handhelds and the dreamcast are the only consoles to get worthy a800 emulators.  In fact I'd love my gp32 more if it wasn't for the craptastic joystick and the screen has a yellowish tint and smudges easily.  Supposedly the screen can replaced with something clearer.  I'm not sure what I want to do with the stick.  But a800 emulation runs just a tad slow on it, so I think the GP2x will do just fine.

Besides there is a nice looking PS1 emulator in the works for it as well.

Genesis, snes, tg16, and colecovision emulators sure would be nice as well.  Mame looks really good.  How is the sound on it?  I know the initial releases they said the sound was foobared.

Luckily it uses the same type power supply as the GP32 so I'm pretty much good to go.  Yet another incentive to get one.

990557[/snapback]

Sounds is actually very good IMO. I think it was the headphone jack that was an issue in the beginning. Either L/R swapped or loose or something like that. The MULE theme sounds great. :)

~telengard