IGNORED

XBOX 360 Hardware Mods? When?

Shawn

Hey All,

I know nothing about modern gaming so forgive me here but when should I expect there to be a MOD CHIP for the 360? I want to get a 360 for the wife and kids cause they love the "new" games but if I'm spending $500 bucks on a console I want to get it MODed so the games get a little cheaper (wink, wink).

Will it be a while before a chip is developed for the 360 cause it's so new or are they already out, ect?

Shawn Sr.

*Sigh*.... Good God, how hard is it to pay for games? And people wonder why all the game studios are going bankrupt right now, with self-centered people just stealing games rather than pay for them. :roll:

Just wait until the game's prices drop to $19.99, then buy them. You don't have to spend $60 when it comes out.

I want to get it MODed so the games get a little cheaper (wink, wink).

983247[/snapback]

This post was all good until this came out. You just don't put stuff like this in your posts as it is going to piss people off. This sort of thing gives modders a bad name. There are so many things that you can do with mods besides steal games and people like you ruin it for everyone.

I will go ahead and answer your question. It will be a while. They JUST NOW figured out the filesystem (actually that's not bad for the age of the console.) That is just the first step. A lot of work needs to be done before any good mods can be made for the 360. The security on the 360 is said to be much better then it was on the XBox. This is also going to make it more difficult. Don't expect mods to pop us quickly as they did with the XBox. It will be a while.

I was going to point you to the answers, but Ill pass after seeing you want to steal games.... :roll:

Needless to say the big issue now is the hypervisor.

Could be a wile or possibly after the generation is over before a hardware hack is found. Right now most are hoping for a software exploit.

Edited by jeepnut24

And people wonder why all the game studios are going bankrupt right now

983257[/snapback]

Because most of the games are prized crazy insane, are utter garbage and sold by stores with a "no returns / no try before you buy" policy.

984010[/snapback]

And simple updates sold as sequels yearly at full price..... :ponder:

You know the stuff we get on PC for free or half price...

I do not think a software exploit is possible is it ?, my understanding is that the system uses an ecrypted Key pair system and a TPM module so trying to intercept the key pairs and decrypt them at the software level is not possible. Hardware might be possible but you would have to have a way to generate "trusted" keys.

RA

• 4 weeks later...

The only reason I wanted to know about backup capability is because I am just barley in the lower-middle class finance bracket and if I was to buy an 360 (however unlikely) I would not be able to afford to buy ANY games at retail. I'm a very smart person just not a very wealthy one. This is not a sob excuse, it's just the truth.

Edited by silver_surfer

I'd get a modchip to make the 360 run emulators :ponder:

Oh the looks on people's faces. Hell that was the most played stuff on my modded xbox, I played more MAME, Atari 2600 and NES on the xbox than the games themselves. The only games I really played on the xbox I liked were Outrun 2 and SNK vs Capcom.

Why would you want to mod chip a 360 ?.There are no good games to copy.I'd hope they fix all the bugs in the games and the overheating power supply before i'd worry about ripping off game companies by buying pirate games.Out of 9 people i know who bought an Xbox 360 3 of us have had faulty 360's and nearly all of us have had major crashing problems.I would not dare open up a 360 just incase you had to send it back for a repair.

Edited by Nemesis

The only reason I wanted to know about backup capability is because I am just barley in the lower-middle class finance bracket and if I was to buy an 360 (however unlikely) I would not be able to afford to buy ANY games at retail. I'm a very smart person just not a very wealthy one. This is not a sob excuse, it's just the truth.

997797[/snapback]

"If you're so smart, how come you ain't rich?" - Louis Jordan

Play cheaper, older games until you can afford it. Not having enough money is no excuse for theft.

997797[/snapback]

If you cant afford the games, don't buy the console.

It's like me saying I want a Ferrari but can't afford the insurance. :cool:

It's time's like there where I'll aggree.

Piracy. Ya know, to me, that's never been the end goal persay, but rather a perk of having the knowledge, ability and skill to do such things. A bonus to running Linux and emulation (which I honestly do).

It's this blantant wholesale piracy on demand theft being done for the wrong reasons that gives all of us a bad name, is totaly ruining the scenes for everyone, the cause of excessive and invasive protection measures and the cause of a never increasing body of international laws with increasing penalties.

It's really annoying just how many common theves are doing this stuff now a days. It was SO much different 20 years ago. The more I see, the more I actually appericate what the anti-piracy laws are trying to do and empathize with the product owners.

997797[/snapback]

If you're in the low-middle class finance bracket, then you don't need to be buying an Xbox 360... Not saying anything bad, but it's a matter of priorities. I don't own one simply because I don't have the means to 1. buy a good high-def tv to run it on, and 2. Don't have the money for the games.

Heck... I just got a PS2 for the first time about 4 months ago.

I do good to keep my PC in semi-good condition.

997797[/snapback]

If you're in the low-middle class finance bracket, then you don't need to be buying an Xbox 360... Not saying anything bad, but it's a matter of priorities. I don't own one simply because I don't have the means to 1. buy a good high-def tv to run it on, and 2. Don't have the money for the games.

Heck... I just got a PS2 for the first time about 4 months ago.

I do good to keep my PC in semi-good condition.

998975[/snapback]

Well, there's obviously only one solution - steal an HDTV to go with it! :ponder:

:P :lol: