IGNORED

Panther

~llama

I posted up all of the Panther dev disks and I think the manual about 2 years ago...

NOT an impressive system based on the spec's... sorry, one one lonely Panther sits in my office, the other kitty's are still out in the wild ;-)

Curt

I see on Atari Explorer (amazing site, btw) that there's a Panther dev system. Who has it? Any software exist for Panther?

Curt, do you have a closet full of boxed Panther consoles you'd be willing to mail me as a Christmas present? :D  :ponder:

984671[/snapback]

• Like 1

Curt - you're talking about the development system, correct? I saw the engineering drafts on Karl's AEX site but never thought they had molded any units.

I'd still love to see the cartridge design for that thing... looks like it would have been quite interesting.

Justin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm still burning with curiosity about this system. It looks from the picture on AEX like it's got a 68000 in it. What else? What kind of graphics hardware was the Panther going to be packing? Is there any way to know?

Edited by ~llama

• 2 years later...
I don't care to look it up so I'll just ask, is there any software for the Panther? Controllers even?

to my knowledge ,there is a prototype system and a developement system..... :) 3-4 games exist that i heard of,all of which are Jaguar titles.

So what about controllers? Can it use Jag controllers or something like that?

I don't care to look it up so I'll just ask, is there any software for the Panther? Controllers even?

to my knowledge ,there is a prototype system and a developement system..... :) 3-4 games exist that i heard of,all of which are Jaguar titles.

So what about controllers? Can it use Jag controllers or something like that?

i have no idea about that buddy,good question :?: ! i would like to own some Panther stuff eventually!

Yep, Cybermorph was a port to the Jaguar from the Panther... and it shows. :P

If Cybermorph is an example of what the Panther had to offer, I'm glad they chose to go with the Jaguar.

Hey it could have gone like this...

"And then in 1993 Atari was working on two game systems, the 32 bit Panther, and a 64 bit Jaguar. The Panther was slow in development, and the 64 bit Jaguar was actually ahead in progress, but Atari wanted to release a system more in step with the market with cheaper production costs.

The delayed Panther was released into the market with marginal success. It's graphics capibilities were impressive for the time, but not enough to compete with already existing and successful Sega Genesis, and Super Nintendo systems which won over by sheer number of games. Soon the 3D0 came out, leaving Atari's Panther in it's cat tracks.

Sadly, the Atari Jaguar was a promising system, with a unique graphic and sound chip and would have displayed millions of colors, but with the results of the Panther the Jaguar never saw the light of day, caged in an Atari office until Atari was sold to JTS. Only a few Jaguar prototypes have been found since. It's two games, a ported Cybermorph from the Panther system and Trevor McFur show only glimpses of what could have been in this last Atari system."

Yeh, if I was to have a last Atari system, I'll take the Jaguar any day!!! :D

Edited by doctorclu