IGNORED

Sony Bashing and "Why would anyone buy a PSP?"

Gabriel

This is in a thread about the Nintendo DS. Plus, I saw a comment in some other thread about how Sony can't even be brought up on these forums without someone coming in and starting to talk about Nintendo. Instead of derailing other discussions, I figured I'd post my thoughts in a new thread so we could already be a train wreck off the tracks.

The Nintendo DS is the best handheld system right now. Not only does it kick the PSP's ass in game selection and quality, it's also backwards compatible with the massive library of Game Boy Advance games, which are also excellent.

Why anyone would buy the PSP, which has one good game (Lumines), a game we all played 4 years ago in much better form (GTA: LCS), an assload of crappy sports games ported over from consoles and 3x as many movies as there are games for it is beyond me.

As a sidenote, I too am 15. I own most of the consoles, ranging from the Atari 2600 to the Nintendo DS, including some of the more 'obscure' ones these days like the Jaguar, Vectrex and systems to that effect.

984887[/snapback]

You know, the DS certainly has a lot of crappy ports of GBA games. A big chunk of the library consists of GBA games with touchscreen support shoehorned in. As for your comment of "a game we all played 4 years ago in much better form" the DS's flagship title is Mario 64 DS which is little more than a spiffed up port of a near 10 year old game.

Then there's Wario Ware, which I've previously gotten in trouble for stating my opinion on. But I'll say it again, I really don't understand how anyone could have fun occasionally drawing hashmarks, tapping the screen, or repeatedly drawing circles accompanied by graphics ripped from NES games. There's nothing engaging. And there's certainly nothing eye catching. The game has no depth at all.

Then there's Nintendogs, which I have to admit that I've never understood Tamogotchis or any kind of virtual pet. I've played the thing. In my mind it's not a game. It's not even an entertaining toy. Now, if you could raise the puppies, grind them up into hamburger and start a burger joint, then that might be an entertaining simulation.

Another thing is that the PSP gets a lot of negativity from the Nintendo freaks because of it having "nothing original". Yet the Nintendo fiends rave on and on about sequels and ports like Mario 64 DS, Mario Kart DS, Advance Wars Dual Strike. Hell, its incredibly funny when the Nintendo fanboys rant about how the PSP gets old game collections like Namco Museum, and in the same breath rave about the DS getting Final Fantasy 3. How old is that game anyway? 15 years or so? Hell, someone in another forum I frequent was bashing the PSP and Midway for releasing Midway Arcade Treasures Extended Play, while simultaneously saying everyone should run out and buy a DS because of Final Fantasy IV (which is only a GBA game, and one that is on it's third release).

Here's a run down:

Can I play Ridge Racer on the DS? Yes, but the DS version sucks dead dog balls. The PSP version is a better game in every respect.

Can I play Lumines on the DS? Presently, no. I hear it's coming to the DS in the future. I'm happy the game is going to get some more exposure. I really don't see how it will work on that tiny screen though.

Can I play Metal Gear Ac!d or Lord of the Rings Tactics on the DS? No. While the tactical RPG genre is well represented on the GBA, the only tactical game so far on the DS is Advance Wars. I love classic games. But there are times when you feel like playing something that seems like its from the mid-90s SNES era, and sometimes you don't. And whereas Advance Wars DS is a three time remake, MGA and LotRT are fresh, new from the ground up games which just happen to have familiar names.

Can I play Namco Museum on the DS? If I want to play the GBA version, and I have done that quite a bit. However, the PSP version of Namco Museum is just worlds better. Rally X Arrangement and Pac Man Arrangement have become fast favorites. And I can't play those on the DS.

Can I play Midway Arcade Treasures on the DS? Only if I want to play the atrocious GBA version. I just got this one for my PSP today, and let me tell you, it kicks much booty. I see myself playing a lot of Wizard of Wor.

Can I watch movies on the DS? I suppose I could watch those kidvid things they sell in stores, but I'm talking about real movies. Presently I only have Star Trek: Nemesis and Spider Man 2, but they've already come in handy when I had to work a lot of overtime.

Can I listen to MP3s on the DS? Not without resorting to the dubious 3rd party borderline pirate stuff. I've got my PSP loaded with about 200 songs and I listen to it every day going to and from work.

Can I use the DS as a jump drive? I tend to carry decent sized files ranging from 3 to 20 megs on my PSP to and from work. While a regular pendrive/jumpdrive would probably be more convenient, the PSP can do it and I take the PSP everywhere anyway. The DS could do this as well, if I wanted to resort to greymarket items, which I really don't.

So, there's why someone would buy a PSP. It has a mix of the old while having some original and cutting edge titles which are worth playing. And, beyond that, it can do other things which make it worth the investment. Yes, it's double the price of the DS, but it's WORTH double the price.

Sounds like you got stuck with a PSP and are trying to make yourself feel better. :D

But really, This is a Classic Gaming site. Do you expect anyone here to like the PSP's majority of 3-D games over the large selection of 2-D games that the DS has? As far as the movies and MP3 playback, The GP32 does it better and cheaper and the manufacturer isn't constantly trying to lock you out.

Someday I would love to get a PSP again (I sold the first one because I never used it). Popolocris looks really good and there are a few other RPG's coming out in the future that I would like to play. There just aren't enough good games to warrant another $250 investment. I was looking forward to LOTR Tactics but I hear it stinks.

This is in a thread about the Nintendo DS.  Plus, I saw a comment in some other thread about how Sony can't even be brought up on these forums without someone coming in and starting to talk about Nintendo.  Instead of derailing other discussions, I figured I'd post my thoughts in a new thread so we could already be a train wreck off the tracks.

The Nintendo DS is the best handheld system right now. Not only does it kick the PSP's ass in game selection and quality, it's also backwards compatible with the massive library of Game Boy Advance games, which are also excellent.

Why anyone would buy the PSP, which has one good game (Lumines), a game we all played 4 years ago in much better form (GTA: LCS), an assload of crappy sports games ported over from consoles and 3x as many movies as there are games for it is beyond me.

As a sidenote, I too am 15. I own most of the consoles, ranging from the Atari 2600 to the Nintendo DS, including some of the more 'obscure' ones these days like the Jaguar, Vectrex and systems to that effect.

984887[/snapback]

You know, the DS certainly has a lot of crappy ports of GBA games. A big chunk of the library consists of GBA games with touchscreen support shoehorned in. As for your comment of "a game we all played 4 years ago in much better form" the DS's flagship title is Mario 64 DS which is little more than a spiffed up port of a near 10 year old game.

Then there's Wario Ware, which I've previously gotten in trouble for stating my opinion on. But I'll say it again, I really don't understand how anyone could have fun occasionally drawing hashmarks, tapping the screen, or repeatedly drawing circles accompanied by graphics ripped from NES games. There's nothing engaging. And there's certainly nothing eye catching. The game has no depth at all.

Then there's Nintendogs, which I have to admit that I've never understood Tamogotchis or any kind of virtual pet. I've played the thing. In my mind it's not a game. It's not even an entertaining toy. Now, if you could raise the puppies, grind them up into hamburger and start a burger joint, then that might be an entertaining simulation.

Another thing is that the PSP gets a lot of negativity from the Nintendo freaks because of it having "nothing original". Yet the Nintendo fiends rave on and on about sequels and ports like Mario 64 DS, Mario Kart DS, Advance Wars Dual Strike. Hell, its incredibly funny when the Nintendo fanboys rant about how the PSP gets old game collections like Namco Museum, and in the same breath rave about the DS getting Final Fantasy 3. How old is that game anyway? 15 years or so? Hell, someone in another forum I frequent was bashing the PSP and Midway for releasing Midway Arcade Treasures Extended Play, while simultaneously saying everyone should run out and buy a DS because of Final Fantasy IV (which is only a GBA game, and one that is on it's third release).

Here's a run down:

Can I play Ridge Racer on the DS? Yes, but the DS version sucks dead dog balls. The PSP version is a better game in every respect.

Can I play Lumines on the DS? Presently, no. I hear it's coming to the DS in the future. I'm happy the game is going to get some more exposure. I really don't see how it will work on that tiny screen though.

Can I play Metal Gear Ac!d or Lord of the Rings Tactics on the DS? No. While the tactical RPG genre is well represented on the GBA, the only tactical game so far on the DS is Advance Wars. I love classic games. But there are times when you feel like playing something that seems like its from the mid-90s SNES era, and sometimes you don't. And whereas Advance Wars DS is a three time remake, MGA and LotRT are fresh, new from the ground up games which just happen to have familiar names.

Can I play Namco Museum on the DS? If I want to play the GBA version, and I have done that quite a bit. However, the PSP version of Namco Museum is just worlds better. Rally X Arrangement and Pac Man Arrangement have become fast favorites. And I can't play those on the DS.

Can I play Midway Arcade Treasures on the DS? Only if I want to play the atrocious GBA version. I just got this one for my PSP today, and let me tell you, it kicks much booty. I see myself playing a lot of Wizard of Wor.

Can I watch movies on the DS? I suppose I could watch those kidvid things they sell in stores, but I'm talking about real movies. Presently I only have Star Trek: Nemesis and Spider Man 2, but they've already come in handy when I had to work a lot of overtime.

Can I listen to MP3s on the DS? Not without resorting to the dubious 3rd party borderline pirate stuff. I've got my PSP loaded with about 200 songs and I listen to it every day going to and from work.

Can I use the DS as a jump drive? I tend to carry decent sized files ranging from 3 to 20 megs on my PSP to and from work. While a regular pendrive/jumpdrive would probably be more convenient, the PSP can do it and I take the PSP everywhere anyway. The DS could do this as well, if I wanted to resort to greymarket items, which I really don't.

So, there's why someone would buy a PSP. It has a mix of the old while having some original and cutting edge titles which are worth playing. And, beyond that, it can do other things which make it worth the investment. Yes, it's double the price of the DS, but it's WORTH double the price.

984998[/snapback]

Tactical RPGs, MP3s, movie viewing? Sounds like someone needs to buy himself an N-Gage. Then yo could even play your tactical RPGs online on the bus.

Tactical RPGs, MP3s, movie viewing?  Sounds like someone needs to buy himself an N-Gage.  Then yo could even play your tactical RPGs online on the bus.

I keep on waffling on whether to buy a N-gage or not. I'm a pen & paper RPG fan who has played Rifts for a long time, so the Rifts game for the N-gage really attracts me.

But, you know, that screen is sooooo tiny.

I've had a QD, Rifts: Promise of Power, High Sieze, Pathway to Glory: Ikusa Islands, and System Rush in my virtual cart several times. I need to get a cell phone, and it makes a certain amount of sense to add to my videogame and Rifts obsessions while I'm at it.

Hell, as I was typing this I filled the cart again. I just can't convince myself to check out and have a new $50 bill to pay every month for the next two years.

Instead of derailing other discussions, I figured I'd post my thoughts in a new thread so we could already be a train wreck off the tracks.

984998[/snapback]

See - now there's a good idea. There's quite a few threads on here that could benefit from a simple "This is a thread to bash XX" subject, instead of pretending to be a review or rational discussion ;)

the DS's flagship title is Mario 64 DS which is little more than a spiffed up port of a near 10 year old game.

You spelled nintendogs wrong. I may not be a huge fan of the game but it is the DS flagship title. Actually I'm not a fan of mario 64 on the DS either, the D pad just doesn't work.

And there is one genre you just our right ignored, the platformer. And lets face facts the psp has yet to get one decent platformer, and when you play as many as I do that's a problem. While the DS has many great platformers, and even lots of decent ones. The psp platformer line up looks bleak sadly. Death jr was crap, but even the future daxter game looks terrible. The one tecmo is making looks at least somewhat servicable, but just not worth the 250$.

While were on price, you say it's worth the 250$. But I know for a fact I would never use even half of the things it can do. Why? I want a game machine, not a crappy portable movie player. I already have a portable dvd player and a nice one at that. I could never imagine watching a movie on such a small screen. Keep in mind games don't bother me because they were tailor made for the small screen. Movies on the other hand were not.

The bottom line is, which one you like is just a matter of taste. In my opinion the psp is uncomfortable and has nothing worth spending 250$ on and 50$ for games. I would never buy the movies, and it's to big to be a decent mp3 player. That's my opinion and nothing more. If you love it don't let any bad press on here get you down. After all I have had to read how terrible the game cube since I got one. But that doesn't stop me from enjoying it. Not that I think any oen nay saying is stopping you from enjoying your psp. Just remember, threads like this never solve anything. When the matter is just opinions nothing gets solved.

Bah...

Both the DS and the PSP are good systems, but the DS has a bigger library for the moment. For entertainment on the go (and a very multi-functional system) the PSP is a sure bet. For the oddity and the love of touching, go with the DS. Touching IS good...oooo, sorry about that.

Price point, anyone? If you can't quite afford the PSP due to it's price tag, the DS is a good investment. Battery life will cost you in the PSP..the DS has much better battery staying power.

You really can't go wrong with either system, you know. They are both top of the line and will provide much satisfaction for the gamer on the go.

Steve (just my two cents..okay, 25 cents) :D

Tactical RPGs, MP3s, movie viewing?  Sounds like someone needs to buy himself an N-Gage.  Then yo could even play your tactical RPGs online on the bus.

I keep on waffling on whether to buy a N-gage or not. I'm a pen & paper RPG fan who has played Rifts for a long time, so the Rifts game for the N-gage really attracts me.

But, you know, that screen is sooooo tiny.

I've had a QD, Rifts: Promise of Power, High Sieze, Pathway to Glory: Ikusa Islands, and System Rush in my virtual cart several times. I need to get a cell phone, and it makes a certain amount of sense to add to my videogame and Rifts obsessions while I'm at it.

Hell, as I was typing this I filled the cart again. I just can't convince myself to check out and have a new $50 bill to pay every month for the next two years.

985017[/snapback]

The problem is right now Nokia's support is a little up in the air. A while back Nokia said they'd be focusing on TV and MP3 on their phones for the next little while. However, they also have at least 5 games still slated for release, and are still planning on making the N-Gage games playable on more of their phones. It's probably a pretty weird time to buy one right now unless you're really sure you don't mind the possibility of support ending some time in the near future.

You really can't go wrong with either system, you know. They are both top of the line and will provide much satisfaction for the gamer on the go.

The reality is, though, that the DS is outselling the PSP in every territory and the gap is widening. People complain about the developer support the PSP is getting now - well, just wait. It's only going to get worse.

The problem is once a system starts to lose momentum, it almost never gets it back. It becomes a vicious cycle. People aren't buying so developers won't commit, and that makes people less likely to buy which in turn makes it less worth it for developers.

Nintendo has several built-in advantages in the handheld arena, but the one that I think most people forgot about before these two systems were released is first-party development. Where is Sony's equivalent of Nintendogs? Sony has no experience making portable games and if third party developers abandon the PSP (and they were never all that interested in the first place), there is no way Sony's own games can carry that platform.

I don't own either of these systems but it seems to me that the battle is basically already won for the DS and lost for the PSP. You can tell me I'm being premature or whatever, but I think if you buy a PSP at this point, you're paying $250 for a dead-end system. In 1996 you probably would have told me I was premature in saying that about the Saturn; in 2000 you would have told me the same about the Dreamcast. But this is what happens when one system steals all the momentum and takes both consumers and developers with it.

Handheld history is littered with failed attempts at unseating Nintendo in the handheld market, often by powerful competitors with more powerful hardware. The PSP is just another one of them.

Edited by spacecadet

I don't keep a steady eye on the psp games coming out but I have noticed that that there aren't many. Even fewer games that look good are being made. By far the best looking game to come out for the psp in a long time is the pardise game, that martial arts game. It looks down right cool, a game I know I would buy if I had a psp. But then again I was tempted to buy that dynasty warrior game and I don't even have a psp. Maybe I just liek hack and slashes.

But the other games are just more parts, mainly of games that were never meant to be played with only one analog stick in the first place. (Katamari and star wars battle front 2 are you kidding me?) Very few games feel like they were meant to be on the system. Maybe once that happens we could see the thing shine. And I'm sure it isn't helping sales that sony put the con in all of its demo units. A game that lacks one redeaming quality. Maybe if the morons but something put a game in the system people might actually want it would be more appealing.

Battery life will cost you in the PSP..the DS has much better battery staying power.

See, I do have both systems. And I notice this little bit about the battery gets said quite a bit. So far, IMX, it's not really true. Both get about 6 hours off of a full charge. The DS tends to last a few minutes longer, but it's only about 15 to 30 minutes, not the hours longer which often gets implied.

Hmmm, I honestly can't say about the PSP as I've never owned one, just listening to my friends who have had one and by what they have implied. I would happily own either system if I had the money to buy one or the other and be quite satisfied myself.

Now, I do think the PSP is a better-looking system, but looks don't sell a system......do they?

Steve :)

The reality is, though, that the DS is outselling the PSP in every territory and the gap is widening.  People complain about the developer support the PSP is getting now - well, just wait.  It's only going to get worse.

At this point I think the PSP is up against Malibu Stacy.

For those who don't understand that, there's a Simpsons episode where Lisa gets a talking Malibu Stacy doll (Barbie for those who still just don't get it). Lisa is initially excited, but finds that Malibu Stacy's voice chip has been programmed to only spout off dumb blonde stereotypical drivel. Lisa is outraged, and this being the Simsons, finds the creator of Malibu Stacy, convinces her to make a new and better doll which will be a better role model to young girls, and gets the new, superior product on Toys R Us Shelves.

In panic, the makers of Malibu Stacy need a gimmick. So, they make a new Malibu Stacy package with a hat.

The launch date comes and Lisa's doll is on display in Toys R Us. The crowd of young girls (and Mr. Smithers) comes rushing in to buy the new doll. Suddenly, someone rolls the new Malibu Stacy with her hat in front of Lisa's doll. Lisa tries to convince them that its the same old Malibu Stacy as before, and the crowd responds...

"But she has a new hat!"

That's really how the Nintendo DS and Nintendo's overall portable empire feels to me. Its the same old thing, with a new hat.

For years, people have claimed what they wanted in a portable was color graphics on a large high quality screen with a backlight. They wanted the power of a big console in a portable. The only thing the PSP didn't deliver on was compatibility with PS1 games. I'd wager you however much money you would want that Nintendo would never have done the frontlit GBA SP or even made the screen on the DS as good as it is had not Sony been coming down the road with the spectacular screen the PSP has. The PSP clearly shows that portables can and should be MUCH better than what Nintendo has been peddling all these years.

But Nintendo has a new hat.

Gabriel, while I do agree with you on certain points, and yes, the PSP is a totally original idea, perhaps the hat's a little deeper than you give Nintendo credit for. You have to admit it was a great idea to come up with a dual-screen with one of them being able to be influenced by your "touch", then to utilize games around that premise.

Sales are the final verdict of a product's "floatability", and the DS is very popular. I know the underdogs of the portable gaming world need a chance, but Nintendo has consistantly done well in their portable gaming market. Now, before you scream "fanboy!!!", I admire Sony for their products and have supported them firmly in the past with their release of the PS1. I even had a PS2, and enjoyed that system as well.

However, I still find the DS original, savvy, and surprising, with a great slew of games to satisfy gamers from all genres.

Just my take on it.

Steve

But Nintendo has a new hat.

985112[/snapback]

Well, to be fair, your comparison is backwards. If you follow it through, Sony uped the ante on the game Nintendo was already playing by simply making the screen bigger and throwing in "new hat" features like Mp3 and PS2 graphics. Nintendo went and designed a new layout type (dual screens) and a new method of control for a mainstram device. I mean, the PSP is a really advanced GBA as far as gaming ability goes. None of this is me saying the PSP is bad, just that I don't think the analogy works at all. I mean, wouldn't the company trying to rethink the product be Lisa Lionheart?

Edited by Atarifever

Gabriel, while I do agree with you on certain points, and yes, the PSP is a totally original idea, perhaps the hat's a little deeper than you give Nintendo credit for. You have to admit it was a great idea to come up with a dual-screen with one of them being able to be influenced by your "touch", then to utilize games around that premise.

Sales are the final verdict of a product's "floatability", and the DS is very popular. I know the underdogs of the portable gaming world need a chance, but Nintendo has consistantly done well in their portable gaming market. Now, before you scream "fanboy!!!", I admire Sony for their products and have supported them firmly in the past with their release of the PS1. I even had a PS2, and enjoyed that system as well.

However, I still find the DS original, savvy, and surprising, with a great slew of games to satisfy gamers from all genres.

Just my take on it.

Steve

985116[/snapback]

No. I really only try to scream "fanboy" when someone is sounding like a fanboy.

I personally don't see anything useful about the dual screens, and have found it either a curiousity or an outright hindrance in the games I've seen. However, I can't deny that people ARE buying the thing. I don't know why.

But, then again, everyone is mystified why PSP movies are selling so well. So there's bewilderment on both sides.

True. I'm mystified easily, anyway. :D That movie thing has always piqued my curiosity. I think it would be cool to take them with you. However, since most of my transit time is driving and not waiting around somewhere, I don't think I would enjoy the movie as much as, say, taking a few-hour plane ride or something like that.

On a sidenote: Oh, come on, Kirby's Canvas Curse is a BLAST to play on the dual screen!!!

Ahem, I'm done now. :)

Steve

I've got both. Right now I'm playing the DS more. Just more games that I like (Mario Kart, Castlevania, Advance wars, Animal Crossing, Kirby, trauma center, nanostray etc....) Lots of fun games IMO. And the backward compatability helps too.

Right now the only thing I really like on my PSP is Lumines and emulation. There are a few games that interest me that are out or on thier way. I want Namco Battle, and Katamari Damacy, harvest moon, lemmings and a few others are on thier way. The PSP library is starting to pick up.

My DS gets a good hour and a half more than my psp in the battery department but that could be due to some emulators running the system overclocked. And maybe its just mine but my PSP loses a its charge if it sits there for a week or two. And no its not in sleep mode.

-Tim

Edited by pmpddytim

Gabriel, not to start shouting "FANBOI!!!!111" at you, but some of your comments regarding the DS indicate to me that you've spent very little time with the system and are determined to not like it. Have you played Trauma Center? Castlevania DS? Feel the Magic? Or even Nintendogs or Animal Crossing? I'd suggest spending more than a few minutes with each of those games and trying to look at the system with a bit more open of a mind. There's a good reason why the DS is spanking the PSP in sales right now, and "gimmicks" aren't the reason. The PSP, while being one sweet piece of hardware, really isn't bringing anything new to the table that enhances portable gaming. I think it's clear right now that the vast majority of gamers want games to play on their system instead of movies to watch.

My two cents:

DS, very cool system, I like the dual display and the touch screen. Some VERY good old-school type games. Overall very well done but my only gripe is that its pretty out-dated when compared to:

PSP, awesome screen, best looking graphics from a handheld ever. The problem? Most games are garbage except lately the PSP is finally starting to show a little life with games like GTA, X-Men, Namco collection and Legend of Heroes.

Different systems but so far the unique DS is my favorite. The PSP has way to many ports for my tastes at the moment.

This is in a thread about the Nintendo DS.  Plus, I saw a comment in some other thread about how Sony can't even be brought up on these forums without someone coming in and starting to talk about Nintendo.  Instead of derailing other discussions, I figured I'd post my thoughts in a new thread so we could already be a train wreck off the tracks.

You know, the door swings both ways. Sony fanboys are always derailing nintendo threads.

Then there's Nintendogs, which I have to admit that I've never understood Tamogotchis or any kind of virtual pet.  I've played the thing.  In my mind it's not a game.  It's not even an entertaining toy.  Now, if you could raise the puppies, grind them up into hamburger and start a burger joint, then that might be an entertaining simulation.

You may not like it, but it's still a brilliant game and appeals to alot of people.

Another thing is that the PSP gets a lot of negativity from the Nintendo freaks because of it having "nothing original".  Here's a run down:

Can I play Ridge Racer on the DS?  Yes, but the DS version sucks dead dog balls.  The PSP version is a better game in every respect.

Can I play Lumines on the DS?  Presently, no.  I hear it's coming to the DS in the future.  I'm happy the game is going to get some more exposure.  I really don't see how it will work on that tiny screen though.

Let's see... trauma center, Kirby Canvas Curse, Animal Crossing, Meteos, Pac 'n roll, Pac Pix, Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble, Yoshi Touch and Go. I don't see anything like these on the PSP and even though Mario 64 is old, it's yet to be beat on the PSP.

Just like you dont care for nintendogs, I don't care for Lumines. But if I did, it'll be coming for the DS anyways. Ridge racer? Sure it's good on the PSP, but we are only talking one game here.

Can I watch movies on the DS?  I suppose I could watch those kidvid things they sell in stores, but I'm talking about real movies.  Presently I only have Star Trek: Nemesis and Spider Man 2, but they've already come in handy when I had to work a lot of overtime.

Do I want to? When the built in speakers have crap sound and my money is much better spent on DVD's that can be played in any DVD player. Including the DVD portable player I have?

Can I listen to MP3s on the DS?  Not without resorting to the dubious 3rd party borderline pirate stuff.  I've got my PSP loaded with about 200 songs and I listen to it every day going to and from work.

Do I want to? I have MP3 Players that are far more functional, smaller, and convenient. I can think of far better things to fill those expensive memory sticks with besides MP3's (like homebrew's and emulators).

Can I use the DS as a jump drive?  I tend to carry decent sized files ranging from 3 to 20 megs on my PSP to and from work.  While a regular pendrive/jumpdrive would probably be more convenient, the PSP can do it and I take the PSP everywhere anyway.

Do I want to? When a pendrive/jumpdrive is far more convenient (and smaller) than lugging a +$200 dollar item (unless I'm trying to impress my friends). Plus that free's more space on the more expensive memory sticks for other things (see above).

So, there's why someone would buy a PSP.  It has a mix of the old while having some original and cutting edge titles which are worth playing.  And, beyond that, it can do other things which make it worth the investment.  Yes, it's double the price of the DS, but it's WORTH double the price.

Double the price, double the features I could care less about. Plus developers have yet to work out the issues of one analog stick. (see battlefront). At least nintendo is making attempts to take advantage of the extra's (touch pad and 2nd screen). As for the UMD's, they are probably selling like hotcakes because they are far less expensive than actual PSP titles.

Anyways... The PSP is a nice system. It just has alot of stuff I consider unecessary and sadly I gained no interest in the games until the prices on some started to drop (or more technically went on clearance). At least the DS games are more affordable. I'd have to say until lemmings and harvest moon come out I have more interest in emulators on this thing than that stuff they call games that they charge more than some console "games" that are much higher quality.

Edited by Shannon

Here's hoping that gift card I'm getting for Christmas is enough to purchase a Mario Kart DS bundle!! *hope hope hope hope*...well, I can dream, can't I? :)

As far as the other electronic "doo dads" that were mentioned (like the Tamagotchi), I'm such a kid with stuff like that I purchased one when they were first available, and would like to get one again. I've also purchased Furby's in the past....no accounting for taste, I know, but hell, I love that type of stuff.

Animal Crossing for the Gamecube kept me fascinated for hours. I suppose since it's such a simple concept, it really appealed to me. Nintendogs when I owned it entertained me to no end. I guess my expectations are just low..lol ;)

Steve

Edited by classicgamingguy