IGNORED

Sony Bashing and "Why would anyone buy a PSP?"

Gabriel

I found out that you actually CAN resize the screen, although it's not mentioned at all in the instruction booklet. Simply press the select button while playing any game, then the square button. The game will switch from an ugly, stretched wide-screen format to its standard resolution and aspect ratio. It makes Joust a whole lot more fun to play, that's for sure!

JR

I found out that you actually CAN resize the screen, although it's not mentioned at all in the instruction booklet.  Simply press the select button while playing any game, then the square button.  The game will switch from an ugly, stretched wide-screen format to its standard resolution and aspect ratio.  It makes Joust a whole lot more fun to play, that's for sure!

JR

991444[/snapback]

That's good to hear. I figured there had to be a way to do it. Although I just tried it and can't get it to work.

I must admit that I'm baffled at why you seemed so against this disc when in another thread you said the Target plug-and-play-in-in-a-big-cabinet would be worth $30 or $40 (as a separate plug in play instead of with the cabinet and cheap tv) when those are ports, and equally not pixel perfect, and fewer games to boot.

I picked up my copy of Arcade Treasures and have to agree with most of the posted criticism/concern. The package is filled with generally good ports; they're just not the best versions available out there. Defender left me wanting to return to the A8 version, I still haven't figured out the control scheme for Toobin', and Klax on the Lynx still can't be beat. It sure is nice to have all of these great games on one disc, though.

PSP movie gripe: Sony (or a clever 3rd party) needs to come up with an accessory that allows the PSP to be attached to the back of an airline seat. I took mine with me on a plane trip to California, and could only stand to watch about 1/2 hour of any given show before either my hand or neck would cramp up.

I found out that you actually CAN resize the screen, although it's not mentioned at all in the instruction booklet.  Simply press the select button while playing any game, then the square button.  The game will switch from an ugly, stretched wide-screen format to its standard resolution and aspect ratio.  It makes Joust a whole lot more fun to play, that's for sure!

991444[/snapback]

Wait, really?

I was really looking forward to Midway Arcade Treasures: Extended Play when it was first announced. But, as the release date approached, I never quite felt comfortable with the fact that so many screens in the previews had the game images stretched to fill the PSP's 480x272 screen (as I had said in this thread on the Gaming Age forums). When some early buyers confirmed that most games had forced widescreen stretch, I decided to hold off on the purchase (at least until I could try it for myself). I always liked the fact that Namco Museum Battle Collection had it as an option among several other screen modes, rather than forcing it as the only screen mode.

If this is correct, and games can be switched to their original resolution and aspect ratio, then this is going back on my list of games to get!

That's good to hear.  I figured there had to be a way to do it.  Although I just tried it and can't get it to work. 

This is way too weird. Now I'M having trouble getting the trick to work! Before, I swear I could just pause the game and press the square button to switch the screen size, but now I have to pause the game, then press square and down on the D-pad together. If it doesn't work the first time, try rapidly pressing both keys together until the screen size changes.

Would someone else with the game test this out for me? I'm able to change the screen's size this way, but if you're having problems getting the trick to work with your version of the game, I'd like to know.

I must admit that I'm baffled at why you seemed so against this disc when in another thread you said the Target plug-and-play-in-in-a-big-cabinet would be worth $30 or $40 (as a separate plug in play instead of with the cabinet and cheap tv) when those are ports, and equally not pixel perfect, and fewer games to boot.

991466[/snapback]

Compatibility with a real television screen helps. The fact that the Big Arcade Games unit includes Robotron: 2084, Satan's Hollow, and Root Beer Tapper without the teeth-grindingly long load times is another point in its favor as well.

JR

This is way too weird.  Now I'M having trouble getting the trick to work!  Before, I swear I could just pause the game and press the square button to switch the screen size, but now I have to pause the game, then press square and down on the D-pad together.  If it doesn't work the first time, try rapidly pressing both keys together until the screen size changes.

That seems to be it. It seems to require you press down on the D-Pad and Square simultaneously while paused.

This is way too weird.  Now I'M having trouble getting the trick to work!  Before, I swear I could just pause the game and press the square button to switch the screen size, but now I have to pause the game, then press square and down on the D-pad together.  If it doesn't work the first time, try rapidly pressing both keys together until the screen size changes.

That seems to be it. It seems to require you press down on the D-Pad and Square simultaneously while paused.

991583[/snapback]

Does it save the screen preference so you don't have to repeat the whole song and dance every time you play?

For me the PSP is like the Xbox in the sense, that I decide to ignore it due it's high price and the fact that non of their games interest me, until a game that does interest me appears...

The only reason I bought an Xbox was for Pyschonauts, which I ended up buying for PC, and I'll only buy the PSP when the Katamari game is out, with my luck if I buy it now, it will end coming out on DS as well... :P

The reason why there is such a conflict between DS and PSP owner is that they have different kinds of games and different players...

It's the never ending clash between raw power and innovation...

The reason why there is such a conflict between DS and PSP owner is that they have different kinds of games and different players...

It's the never ending clash between raw power and innovation...

991766[/snapback]

I don't know why there's such a conflict. I like both systems for different reasons. Most of the attacks, on this messageboard at least, are from hardcore DS fans who can't even start a DS-centric topic (see favorite DS game of 2005 thread for example) without throwing their jabs at Sony for whatever reason. Apparently even though the PSP and DS are completely different systems and are barely even in competition with each other, they somehow feel that the PSP is the bane of their existence. You don't really see this kind of attitude on PSP-centric threads; I don't think hardcore PSP fans are really all that threatened or concerned by the existence and sales of the DS.

And you throw in your own jab with "It's the never ending clash between raw power and innovation" as if hardcore PSP fans are simpletons who like flashy graphics and don't care about innovation. And as if most games on the DS are innovative instead of just gimmicky mini-games. There are some great games on the DS that make very cool use of the touchscreen, but there are also weak puzzle and platform games that simply use the touchscreen as a sort of mouse control (usually poorly in the case of platform games), and some truly wretched attempts at 3D racing games (Mario Kart DS notwithstanding). On the other hand, Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble is an excellent DS game and something I would like to see more of. It plays to the system's strengths and even manages to do some nifty cell-shaded type graphics and 3D.

as if hardcore PSP fans are simpletons who like flashy graphics and don't care about innovation

I have met quite a few psp owners and many they fall in to the flashy simpleton catagory. Now that's not to say all psp fans are of course, I just happen to have met many people like the ones you described.

And as if most games on the DS are innovative instead of just gimmicky mini-games. There are some great games on the DS that make very cool use of the touchscreen, but there are also weak puzzle and platform games that simply use the touchscreen as a sort of mouse control (usually poorly in the case of platform games)

A lot of the games actually are inovative, mainly the ones that aren't are the games made by ubisoft, EA or some small developer no one has ever haard of. And which platfomer games are you talking about that had really bad mouse control? Are you talking about the mario 64 and rayman games? The main reason the control in those games aren't very good is because they were never meant to be DS games. But maybe you're talking about games I don't know about so could you elaborate?

Edited by sega saturn x

A lot of the games actually are inovative, mainly the ones that aren't are the games made by ubisoft, EA or some small developer no one has ever haard of.  And which platfomer games are you talking about that had really bad mouse control?  Are you talking about the mario 64 and rayman games?  The main reason the control in those games aren't very good is because they were never meant to be DS games.  But maybe you're talking about games I don't know about so could you elaborate?

992121[/snapback]

Gimmicky Games:

Yoshi Touch & Go

Whac A Mole

Trace Memory

Pac-Pix

Pokemon Dash

Lost in Blue

Feel the Magic

Dragon Booster

Also, to a lesser extent, the goofy touchscreen controls in games like Castlevania, Nanostray, and Spider-Man 2, where it's just there so that they can say they integrated touchscreen controls into the game.

Bad Racing Games:

ATV: Quad Frenzy

Burnout Legends

Need For Speed Underground 2 & Most Wanted

Asphault

Ford Racing 3

Ridge Racer DS

3D Platforming games with bad touchscreen control:

Super Mario DS

Rayman DS

Hmm, I can only think of Mario and Rayman for the platforming games, I could have sworn there were more.

But, anyway, then you add in the bad movie license games and spruced-up GBA ports, and the DS has a ton of shovelware or simply games which will keep your interest for a little while but then the fun wears thin.

That's not to say the DS is a bad platform, not at all. But I'd rather play some of the ports on the PSP than many of the games above.

A lot of the games actually are inovative, mainly the ones that aren't are the games made by ubisoft, EA or some small developer no one has ever haard of.  And which platfomer games are you talking about that had really bad mouse control?  Are you talking about the mario 64 and rayman games?  The main reason the control in those games aren't very good is because they were never meant to be DS games.  But maybe you're talking about games I don't know about so could you elaborate?

992121[/snapback]

Gimmicky Games:

Yoshi Touch & Go

Trace Memory

992195[/snapback]

Now that's being silly. All you did was call every touch screen game you could think of a "gimmicky" game. Touch and Go is an arcade score based game and would not work well at all on any other system. It's the most fun I've had with a game in years, and I would hope someone on Atariage would see why chasing high scores in simple well designed games would be good. As for Trace Memeory, it's a point and click adventure. Without a mouse, this type of game has always been done poorly on every other system. It works flawlessly with the touch screen. Unless "gimmicky" has taken on the meaning of "well designed", then I think maybe you need to either spend more time with those games (i.e. anytime) or you need to find another word to describe what you think is wrong with them.

Edited by Atarifever

What I find hilarious is that Sony accusses Nintendo of being gimmicky when they "invented" the Eye-Toy, and the PSP is full of gimmicky things like 3D glasses, giant speakers, keyboards that makes it the ugliest and less portable console ever....

Wanna bet the PSP2 will have a touch screen as well? :P

None is better than the other, but it's seems that Sony is always critizing Nintendo and then copying them if they succeed...

They both got ONE thing wrong, who cares how innovative or powerful a portable console is if it's too damn big!

That's why the Game Boy Micro is my favorite, it's the smallest in the market, and just as good as a GBA...

Now that's being silly.  All you did was call every touch screen game you could think of a "gimmicky" game. Touch and Go is an arcade score based game and would not work well at all on any other system.  It's the most fun I've had with a game in years, and I would hope someone on Atariage would see why chasing high scores in simple well designed games would be good.  As for Trace Memeory, it's a point and click adventure.  Without a mouse, this type of game has always been done poorly on every other system.  It works flawlessly with the touch screen.  Unless "gimmicky" has taken on the meaning of "well designed", then I think maybe you need to either spend more time with those games (i.e. anytime) or you need to find another word to describe what you think is wrong with them.

992205[/snapback]

By "gimmicky," I mean games that are relying on the novelty of the touchscreen (ie: the gimmick) rather than putting great gameplay first.

Please note that I left out games like Nintendogs, Kirby Canvas Curse, and Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble, which means I did not just pick every game I could think of that uses the touchscreen.

There's Tak.

992230[/snapback]

Tak doesn't attempt to use the touchscreen for movement, though. Just the camera.

Edited by cryptik76

By "gimmicky," I mean games that are relying on the novelty of the touchscreen (ie: the gimmick) rather than putting great gameplay first.

992280[/snapback]

So, by that definition what makes Yoshi and Trace Memory gimmicky? Try to beat all of the high scores in Touch and Go and tell me it's less deep than, say, Tetris or Lumines. It isn't a platformer, it's a high score game, that's what it is, not a result of it being some kind of "tech demo". Why does everyone think that the fact that it only has score as a goal somehow makes it shallow, while everyone faints everytime they look at Lumines or Meteos?

Sound like he needs to change his definition of gimmicky..

Touch and go sounds like it falls in the realm (style) of games like tetris, lumines, zoo kepper. Yet it's only fault is it uses the touchpad? A unique feature of the DS?

How is that gimmicky? Because it cannot be played on a PSP?

Now Wach -a- mole. Now that's gimmicky. :lol:

The thing is the touch screen is a legitimate feature it would be a gimmick if the games didn't need it, once you can play trauma center without a touch screen give me a call. Some games use it poorly, yoshi touch and go isn't one of them. The game is controlled only by touch screen, and it's controlled well at that.

I can't comment about trace memory since I haven't gotten to play my copy yet, I have been swamped with good DS games since x-mas so It hasn't even been opened. But from what I ahve seen of the game (which is a lot) the game also looks like it uses the touch screen well.

God, are all of you stupid, or just really stubborn? I already explained myself, that by "gimmicky" I mean games that rely on having a unique control scheme rather than having a solid gameplay foundation.

You don't have to agree with me that the games I listed are gimmicky, that's the beauty of free will, you're allowed to have your own opinions.

This is the last thing I will say on the subject. Feel free to commence with yet more empty-headed PSP bashings and praising that Nintendo released the highly innovative Yoshi's Touch and Go, which is essentially a decade-old game with touchscreen control tacked on and marketed as as new product.

I'm not a troll, I don't wish to start a flame war, because I have no time for such things. But it seems like none of you can stand any opinions that disagree with your own. So much negativity on this board...

I'm out. Atariage, so long.