IGNORED

Return of Heracles

neopeius

I hosed down the concrete foundation for an addition to our house for a whole month and in reward got the $30 Return of Heracles advertised in Antic magazine in the summer of '84.

The author said that 9500 was a good score.

The author said that 9650 was the highest conceivably possible.

I got a 9726.

Anyone else remember this gem?

I hosed down the concrete foundation for an addition to our house for a whole month and in reward got the $30 Return of Heracles advertised in Antic magazine in the summer of '84.

I got a 9726.

985067[/snapback]

Was this also you?

http://forums.feixaq.com/viewtopic.php?p=1...b15203ca3c05caa

Well Return of Heracles is one of my all time favorite Atari 800 games along side Star Raiders, Archon, Joust, and Wizard of Wor. Having the ability to play this game on the Atarimax 1 meg cart was a dream come true.

One thing I used to do when a good friend and I played it... we would take Asclepius (the healer) and let him be in the room when the dogs attacked the Stag, thus becoming the new stag when the other died.

So now you have a character that can heal other characters with one turn, AND now instead of moving 8 spaces in a turn can move like 11 to 14 spaces (really fast).

Later you get Asclepious to move the rock where Thesus' awesome sword and armor are and now you have the ultimate cleric of myth and legend!

The only thing funnier was when we let Hercules become "Stagcules". Now that was one pissed off deer!

I got a 9726.

985067[/snapback]

Was this also you?

Well Return of Heracles is one of my all time favorite Atari 800 games along side Star Raiders, Archon, Joust, and Wizard of Wor. Having the ability to play this game on the Atarimax 1 meg cart was a dream come true.

One thing I used to do when a good friend and I played it... we would take Asclepius (the healer) and let him be in the room when the dogs attacked the Stag, thus becoming the new stag when the other died.

So now you have a character that can heal other characters with one turn, AND now instead of moving 8 spaces in a turn can move like 11 to 14 spaces (really fast).

Later you get Asclepious to move the rock where Thesus' awesome sword and armor are and now you have the ultimate cleric of myth and legend!

The only thing funnier was when we let Hercules become "Stagcules". Now that was one pissed off deer!

986615[/snapback]

That is awesome stuff. Made me laugh out loud which hurts as I'm sick.

That FAQ is indeed mine. I posted it to Gamefaqs.com in 2001 and it's cool that someone propagated it. I keep hoping I'll one day impress someone with my high score, but I must admite I've never thought of doing the fun things you did.

Gideon

• 2 weeks later...

I got a 9726.

985067[/snapback]

Was this also you?

986615[/snapback]

That is awesome stuff. Made me laugh out loud which hurts as I'm sick.

That FAQ is indeed mine. I posted it to Gamefaqs.com in 2001 and it's cool that someone propagated it. I keep hoping I'll one day impress someone with my high score, but I must admite I've never thought of doing the fun things you did.

Gideon

987144[/snapback]

Actually I was impressed. And I got a lot of good hints off that FAQ you wrote.

I think that many in the Atari world have not heard of this game. And in truth, I would not have heard from it if my friend did not show it to me on a worn out disk.

So what do you play these days?

Ever thought of joining the high score club to see how you'd fare? Granted they play some weird games, but what a great way to get to know some new games too.

Ever thought of joining the high score club to see how you'd fare?  Granted they play some weird games, but what a great way to get to know some new games too.

993858[/snapback]

Maybe, but honestly I am usually pretty bad at computer games, especially the quick reflexes type. We'll see--I'm trying to get my system back up and running. The disk drives fell into a coma and my wife can't get the SIO cable to work to save all of our disks.

Thank you for enjoying my FAQ. Return of Heracles is one of the best games ever made.

• 15 years later...
On 12/18/2005 at 6:53 PM, neopeius said:

I got a 9726.

9749, but it used judicious use of state saving in Altirra instead of waiting for the RNG deities to shine.

• Like 1