IGNORED

Sega CD Games On Jaguar CD

atari1970

Has AnyOne Ever Tried To Play A Sega CD Game On The Jag CD?(what does it do) I Have Always Dreamed That Some Day I Could Play Sega CD's On The Jag Cd. Does Any Know What would have to be done to Allow the jag cd to play sega games? I Have Heard that the sega cd games are very easy to copy. I Know that the jag cd can handle playing the sega cds. I Also know that the jag cd and the sega cd games have a ecription code. There is not very manny jag cd games out there. someone needs to break the ecription code so we can play sega cds on the jag cd. sega and atari have been very close in the past look at the plug ends on the old sega and atari 2600 systems. There has to be a way. if anyone else out there feels the same way let me know. i would love to here from you. :?:

Can't happen.  It's like a Sega Dreamcast playing Playstation one games.  Bleem does not count.

986361[/snapback]

Why Cant it Happen? There Cant be much to a sega cd game. If they can be copyed why cant the jag play them? whats stoping them from playing on the jag cd?

986370[/snapback]

They do not speak the same language. Period.

Although Atari and Sega had a strong relationship, There is good chance that the Jaguar Cd Had some type of way to prevent it from happening like running it without some type of device like Bleem for DreamCast. Although both have an Encription code, both most likely have different codes. Even if It works by making Sega Cd Games themselves can't go on a jaguar cd, There has to be a lockout

code. Putting them on a disc that works for jaguar shouldn't unless the code was

made for Jag CD.

Here's the thing: it is very unethical in terms of trademarks and Copyrights if is

possible. Game companies that exists today from the Sega Cd period might care. I see why you want sega cd games on Jaguar Cd: so you can play games like Shining force cd. What would happen if other jaguar owners may want rare games for sega Cd for that you make for Jaguar Cd by copying rare games? There had been homebrew games that are the same the arcade games and changed names of these games to prevent a chance of a lawsuit that released or haven't been sold but being downloaded instead.

Edited by 8th lutz

I Know all about the copyright laws. but that olny takes affect if you go to sell the item. i just want to know if someone out there can make the sega games play on the jag cd. i have a lot of sega cds but dont want to get a sega cd. It works by making Sega Cd Games themselves can't go on a jaguar cd, There has to be a lockout

code. Putting them on a disc that works for jaguar shouldn't unless the code

was made for Jag CD.

Here's the thing: it is very unethical in terms of trademarks and Copyrights if

is possible. Game companies that exists today from the Sega Cd period might care. I see why you want sega cd games on Jaguar Cd: so you can play games like Shining force cd. What would happen if other jaguar owners may want rare games for sega Cd for that you make for Jaguar Cd by copying rare games? There had been homebrew games that are the same the arcade games and changed names of these games to prevent a chance of a lawsuit that released or haven't been sold but being downloaded instead.

Trust me in Trademarks and copyrights were involved in a couple classes I took.

I am no lawyer by they are important in what ever you degree is based in.

986412[/snapback]

1) Different Hardware

2) Completely Different Hardware

3) Nothing like each other bar one CPU

4) COMPLETELY DIFFERENT HARDWARE

5) THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MACHINES

theres 5 points to get started with :)

I don't think the Jag has sufficient power to be able to emulate the MegaDrive sufficient speed to play it's games. It's like asking why can't you put C64 games on an 800XL.. yeah the tapes will fit, they sound the same in a stereo, but they are NOT the same machine.

Memory addresses different, physical hardware is different.

Oh and copyright.. that is still valid even if you copy for free, that is STILL a breech of copyright and ILLEGAL.

The only way to do this would most liley require a bootloader cart with extra hardware in from a megadrive (which is most likley custom and Sega arn't going to sell you unless you want to by 100,000's of units)...

although with enough effort it would be technically possible in some fashion it is NOT going to happen without a big commitment an R&D team and magic.. so no not gonna happen

Has AnyOne Ever Tried To Play A Sega CD Game On The  Jag CD?(what does it do) I Have Always Dreamed That Some Day I Could Play Sega CD's On The Jag Cd. Does Any Know What would have to be done to Allow the jag cd to play sega games? I Have Heard that the sega cd games are very easy to copy. I Know that the jag cd can handle playing the sega cds. I Also know that the jag cd and the sega cd games have a ecription code. There is not very manny jag cd games out there. someone needs to break the ecription code so we can play sega cds on the jag cd.  sega and atari have been very close in the past look at the plug ends on the old sega and atari 2600 systems. There has to be a way. if anyone else out there feels the same way let me know. i would love to here from you.  :?:

986334[/snapback]

It's not a game but is a Sega CD, the Sega's CD+G it's compatble with the JagCD CD+G mode! I have one and it works just fine!

eBay

Edited by walter_J64bit

It's not a game but is a Sega CD, the Sega's CD+G it's compatble with the JagCD CD+G mode! I have one and it works just fine!

CD+G was a common format that many karokee players did and still do use.

I thought it was funny that you mentioned Sega CD's on the Jaguar. I have often listened to the "Eccho the Dolphin" soothing tracks on the JagCD. Actual game did not work of course.

And then I thought about this:

Most of the emulation modules through computing and gaming required a module that was practically the emulated system in it's own right. I mean think about it, the BEST I have ever seen a system do as far as emulating another system without (that was a peer system) was roughly half. Look at Virtual PC for the Mac and you'll notice this. A ghz Mac can manage about a 500 mhz PC.

But look at these awesome examples of added hardware making emulation possible on a peer system:

Spectre GCR: A cart with Mac roms plugged into a ST allowed for a Mac Clone that was faster than the actual system at that time!

VCS emulators : For Coleco Vision, Intellivision, and 5200. A module that you plugged Atari joysticks into, and the game module. The only thing the little module was lacking was power and video out, which it got through the cartridge port of the system it was connected to.

Gameboy emulation for SNES and Game Cube.

NES Emulation for the SNES.

So in this spirit, I was thinking the Sega CDx would be a interesting candidate for a "module" for the Atari Jaguar. :)

http://gameconsoles.com/images/Cdx.gif

Find a way to have it plug into the Atari Jaguar cartridge Port for power, and to tap into the Jaguar's Video to use the television, and there you'd have the ability to "play Sega CD's and cartridges on the Jaguar." :D

Now THIS one I believe to be the most likely idea if you want to make a Jaguar do this.

• Like 1

And then I thought about this:

Most of the emulation modules through computing and gaming required a module that was practically the emulated system in it's own right.  I mean think about it, the BEST I have ever seen a system do as far as emulating another system without (that was a peer system) was roughly half.  Look at Virtual PC for the Mac and you'll notice this.  A ghz Mac can manage about a 500 mhz PC. 

Ummm no it can't.. I have a 1.5GHz Powerbook.. the PC emulation on it is aweful and painfully slow. I would say it's just about the P166 speed of things if it's lucky with eth CPU running at 100%

But look at these awesome examples of added hardware making emulation possible on a peer system:

Spectre GCR: A cart with Mac roms plugged into a ST allowed for a Mac Clone that was faster than the actual system at that time!

An Atari ST is almost identical to a Mac of the same era, I would imagine the ST possibly had more advanced custom hardware than the Mac. If a Mac of the time was essentially a 68K memory and a graphics card of some time, I would imagine the only thing needing emulation would be the gfx system. So no a masive amount of hardwork there.

VCS emulators : For Coleco Vision, Intellivision, and 5200.  A module that you plugged Atari joysticks into, and the game module.  The only thing the little module was lacking was power and video out, which it got through the cartridge port of the system it was connected to.

Again a VERY basic system, not difficult to emulate or even put all necissary bits in a cart.

Gameboy emulation for SNES and Game Cube.

NES Emulation for the SNES.

Nintendo have large R&D teams and a wad of cash to work on this, plus all the inside knowledge of how their systems work. Plus access to any and all custom designed Chips their systems may use. Probably trivial to embed older custom hardware into a small portion of modern chips.

So in this spirit, I was thinking the Sega CDx would be a interesting candidate for a "module" for the Atari Jaguar.  :) 

This would require emulation of the sega chipsets, which would involve the GPU and blitter I would imagine. as you would need to use the 68K for the main code, plus you would have to watch for any address information as the memory map for a megadrive is no doubt different.

Find a way to have it plug into the Atari Jaguar cartridge Port for power, and to tap into the Jaguar's Video to use the television, and there you'd have the ability to "play Sega CD's and cartridges on the Jaguar."  :D

Now THIS one I believe to be the most likely idea if you want to make a Jaguar do this.

At present the JagCD hardware sets the cart port to 8bit mode, reducing it's bandwidth (IRRC), this may be bypassable by a cart, I don't know.

I would say a more plausible option would be to try and emulate what you can with the GPU and DSP chips.. just how possible this is however I have no idea.

At present the JagCD hardware sets the cart port to 8bit mode, reducing it's bandwidth (IRRC), this may be bypassable by a cart, I don't know.

I would say a more plausible option would be to try and emulate what you can with the GPU and DSP chips.. just how possible this is however I have no idea.

986607[/snapback]

Hmmm, and now that I think of it, the Jag CD does not pull power through the Cart port. Bummer.

Thinking. :)

Hello!

986607[/snapback]

When the Jaguar-console is booted it checks the bitness of the inserted cartridge

(At this point it does not know that it is a CD-player, or a MPEG-card, a MemoryTrack-

or just a game-card) by reading four certain bytes from the card-address-space.

For the case of the CD-Player it detects a 8bit-thingy (which is good as the CD-Player-ROM is only occupying 8bits of the 32bit-databus ;-) ), that's the

reason why the usage of the cartridge-bus is set to 8 databits (but only if the CD-Player-ROM is booted, if a cartridge is inserted into the slot of the CD-Player

this is checked for its bitness and started anyway).

Anyhow, the software started from the CD or the cartridge inserted into the CD-Player

can set the bitness of the slot-bus as soon as it gets the control.

Regards

Matthias

I imagine you could theoretically write a program that could read the

data from a Sega cd game and then put a new Jaguar based engine on a

cart that would actually use the Sega cd data to play the game, this would

prob only be realistic for games with lots of FMV...

Hi!

Hmm if I was you, I would just visit ebay and get a cheap MegaCD unit with the games... A lot cheaper than getting a Jag with JagCD.

I also think building an emulator cart or porting the games would not only be illegal, due to copyright reasons, but in my opinion there is absolutely no reason for this to be done either.

An absolute waste of valueble time that could be used to do something new and unique on the Jag. And of course the final product if it ever got finished would cost more than you would ever spend on the original system with the games you would want to play.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't really understand why so many people seem to prefer ports of games over new original games or want to play the games of other systems on the Jag anyway.

If you want to play the Jag, then do it. If you want to play something that you consider more fun, why not just get those systems?

I mean you can pick up most of the original systems even a lot cheaper these days as a Jag and if you want emulation anyway, why not go and use a PC right away? At least a lot of the emulators for PC are working fine.

Personally I will always prefer the real system over emulation, though.

Regards, Lars.

• 3 weeks later...
I like to see "SilpHeed" for the Jaggy. :)

995719[/snapback]

If somebody could bleem it where the sega cd was actually enhanced using the jag hardware that would be great. If it couldn't be enhanced it really wouldn't be worth the effort.

A enhanced soul star, starblade, that mech game, lunar ect.. would be killer!

I also think building an emulator cart or porting the games would not only be illegal, due to copyright reasons, but in my opinion there is absolutely no reason for this to be done either.

An absolute waste of valueble time that could be used to do something new and unique on the Jag. And of course the final product if it ever got finished would cost more than you would ever spend on the original system with the games you would want to play.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't really understand why so many people seem to prefer ports of games over new original games or want to play the games of other systems on the Jag anyway.

If you want to play the Jag, then do it. If you want to play something that you consider more fun, why not just get those systems?

I mean you can pick up most of the original systems even a lot cheaper these days as a Jag and if you want emulation anyway, why not go and use a PC right away? At least a lot of the emulators for PC are working fine.

Personally I will always prefer the real system over emulation, though.

Regards, Lars.

987317[/snapback]

New original games are always the best. I think people are looking a port possiblity on the Jag so there are more games to play on it considering 1996 was the last year atari supported the jag.

Kind of like what was done with the dreamcast such as nester and dream snes.