IGNORED

Your Pick for Best DS game of 2005 and why?

figgler

48 members have voted

1. 1. Your Pick for Best DS game of 2005 and why?

• Advance Wars: Dual Strike
    • Animal Crossing: Wild World
    • Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    • Kirby Canvas Curse
    • Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
    • Mario Kart DS
    • Meteos
    • Metroid Prime Pinball
    • Nanostray
    • Nintendogs
    • Pac Pix
    • Pac N Roll
    • Sonic Rush
    • Star Wars Episode III
    • Trauma Center: Under the Knife
    • Wario Ware Touched!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Well, thanks to a little Christmas bonus from my boss, I've reaquired a DS (the blue one) with the following games:

Castlevania

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

Lost in Blue (being returned)

and soon: Animal Crossing WW

Off topic a bit, my wife got me an Atari 2600 Flashback 2 (which is totally awesome!) that came with a disc of the Atari classics volume 1 and 2.

Sweet. :D

Meteos is great, Castlevania is cool, but for games that really changed the way I think and feel about DS, you simply can't knock Mario Kart.  Not only has it successfully brought Nintendo "online" at a level they've never been at before, it's redefined for me that the DS wants to make you the gamer happy by adding features.  Sony has taken the exact opposite approach with the PSP - we're going to keep screwing you and taking away the cool things you enjoyed because we're Sony and we own the hardware and we say so.

988978[/snapback]

This makes no sense whatsoever. They've added quite a few attractive features to the PSP firmware since it released:

• Web browser
  • Wi-fi photo sharing
  • Wallpaper
  • LocationFree TV
  • WMA playback
  • RSS

As a result, my PSP is even more functional now than it was the day I bought it, and all for free, too! If that's considered "screwing the gamer" then I sincerely hope more companies start screwing gamers over like this.

Or is "making gamers happy by adding features" defined as offering online play? Because if that's the case, the PSP's prospects should be making gamers absolutely ecstatic, as they have 15 online games out for PSP, compared to 3 for the DS. In fact, PSP had more online games (5) at the US launch in March than the DS has now, despite the DS being released four months earlier. They've even got voice communications enabled with an optional headset in a game that supports 16 players online. Nintendo has a lot of catching up to do.

Meteos is great, Castlevania is cool, but for games that really changed the way I think and feel about DS, you simply can't knock Mario Kart.  Not only has it successfully brought Nintendo "online" at a level they've never been at before, it's redefined for me that the DS wants to make you the gamer happy by adding features.  Sony has taken the exact opposite approach with the PSP - we're going to keep screwing you and taking away the cool things you enjoyed because we're Sony and we own the hardware and we say so.

988978[/snapback]

This makes no sense whatsoever. They've added quite a few attractive features to the PSP firmware since it released:

•  
  • Web browser

• Wi-fi photo sharing

• Wallpaper

• LocationFree TV

• WMA playback

• RSS

As a result, my PSP is even more functional now than it was the day I bought it, and all for free, too! If that's considered "screwing the gamer" then I sincerely hope more companies start screwing gamers over like this.

Or is "making gamers happy by adding features" defined as offering online play? Because if that's the case, the PSP's prospects should be making gamers absolutely ecstatic, as they have 15 online games out for PSP, compared to 3 for the DS. In fact, PSP had more online games (5) at the US launch in March than the DS has now, despite the DS being released four months earlier. They've even got voice communications enabled with an optional headset in a game that supports 16 players online. Nintendo has a lot of catching up to do.

989083[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure most people would pick great emulation above any of the things they added. And regarding the DS and online, while it's true the DS just went online and only has 3 games online, 1 is good and 2 are great games. And are already amassing huge followings, plus you have metroid hunters coming out soon. The ds is going to to catch up to the psp in online very shortly. And if the ps2 was any indication of how the head set will be used you can count on 5 games using it and 3 of them being socom.

The ds may never have web browsing but I'm just not seeing this as a huge loss. And as for bwing able to use a wall paper, fhe.

Correcting what I said earlier, only 3 PSP games were online at the US launch, not 5. So, they merely matched in their first day what Nintendo's amassed after 13 months, rather than exceeding it as I originally said.

And regarding the DS and online, while it's true the DS just went online and only has 3 games online, 1 is good and 2 are great games.  And are already amassing huge followings, plus you have metroid hunters coming out soon.  The ds is going to to catch up to the psp in online very shortly.

989098[/snapback]

I hope they can catch up soon, but PSP isn't standing still. There are a lot of major online games coming out for PSP, too.

Besides catching up in quantity, hopefully future DS online games will also start adopting some of the PSP's attractive online features, like downloadable content, voice communications, open chat (not limited to only people on your buddy list), and cross-platform online play.

And if the ps2 was any indication of how the head set will be used you can count on 5 games using it and 3 of them being socom.

989098[/snapback]

Well, right now this is true regarding the PSP, as only one game uses voice communication. Yet, that's one more than the DS has.

Quite a lot more than five online games on PS2 use the headset. I'd estimate about 80% to 90% of the ones released in the last two years do (the WWE and Tony Hawk games seem to be the notable exceptions). Even most budget releases have headset support now, and a few games even have EyeToy support for video chat!

The ds may never have web browsing but I'm just not seeing this as a huge loss.  And as for bwing able to use a wall paper, fhe.

989098[/snapback]

That's good, not everyone wants these features. But, some people do appreciate them. They are nice extras, and their inclusion is not "screwing the consumer" by any stretch of the imagination.

and their inclusion is not "screwing the consumer" by any stretch of the imagination.

It's great sony is doing this stuff really it is but in my opinion they would make a lot more fans if they just let people use emulation.

Correcting what I said earlier, only 3 PSP games were online at the US launch, not 5. So, they merely matched in their first day what Nintendo's amassed after 13 months, rather than exceeding it as I originally said.

The psp has had a big headstart in the department, not an excuse just the reason why their are so few ds games online. You can bet their will be at least 13 games on wi fi in the coming months. And with voice chat again the DS just went online. You talked something about a lot of big name releases soon. what are these games you speak of?

and their inclusion is not "screwing the consumer" by any stretch of the imagination.

It's great sony is doing this stuff really it is but in my opinion they would make a lot more fans if they just let people use emulation.

989252[/snapback]

As stated in other threads, they aren't preventing anyone from using emulation. Just don't update the firmware, or update to a version that you can safely "roll back" from.

It's also been explained many times why they keep updating the security features--to prevent pirated games from being executed. This does have the unfortunate side effect of locking out homebrew games and emulators, but that kind of goes with the territory. There is no way for the system to make a distinction between "homebrew" and "pirated" software being executed from a Memory Stick, so they have to lock out all of it.

This is nothing new. Hardware manufacturers have been trying to combat unauthorized software for years. It's just that with the PSP, its easier for them to update existing systems by updating the firmware, whereas most earlier systems usually just had their internals changed in later production runs. The side benefit of this is that new features can also be added very easily for existing users, some of which are very desirable.

But hey, if you and others here are so infuriated at Sony for doing this, then please answer these questions:

1. Are you also angry at Microsoft for pushing stealth patches to X-Box systems over X-Box Live, and deliberately and permanently banning anyone's system from X-Box Live if they detect you have a mod chip (which could potentially be used for legal homebrew/emulators, not necessarily for piracy)?

2. Are you also angry at Nintendo, who has attempted to sue and/or use bully tactics on unlicensed commercial software developers in the NES era (most of which legally circumvented the NES lockout chip), tried to sue the makers of the Game Genie for the NES and SNES (which falls squarely into the category of "letting the user do whatever he wants with his hardware," as some people are fond of saying), and recently tried to shut down makers and distributors of GBA and DS flash RAM cartridges (which, again, could potentially be used for legal homebrew/emulators, not necessarily for piracy)?

I'm curious to know your answers, and your reasoning behind them.

The psp has had a big headstart in the department, not an excuse just the reason why their are so few ds games online.  You can bet their will be at least 13 games on wi fi in the coming months.  And with voice chat again the DS just went online.  You talked something about a lot of big name releases soon. what are these games you speak of?

989252[/snapback]

What headstart did the PSP have? The system came out after the DS. If anything, it's the DS that had the headstart.

Some of the PSP online games coming out in the next few months: Untold Legends: The Warrior's Code, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, MLB '06: The Show, Field Commander, Mortal Kombat: Deception Unchained, Stacked: With Daniel Negreanu.

The DS has been a great system this year, I initially voted Castlevania, now that I have Mario Kart, I'm not sure if my vote would change!

Oh, and I can totally understand why Sony is trying to force the homebrew/emulators off their systems. For one thing, there are always people that try to do things they don't understand - therefore Sony would definately be flooded with calls from idiots who bricked their PSPs. It's really best to nip that stuff in the bud I would assume. It's always a short step from homebrew to pirated games too...

On voicechat - I think Nintendo is holding out on that one because they want to make sure their games remain friendly for kids to play. I like the change. It's nice to play against human opponents without hearing the typical xbox live type of stuff.

On voicechat - I think Nintendo is holding out on that one because they want to make sure their games remain friendly for kids to play. I like the change. It's nice to play against human opponents without hearing the typical xbox live type of stuff.

The fun of talking to the people you are playing with ends after about 8 seconds. Most of them just act like complete morons. I can't say i'm to heart broken I can't hear the other players. They only time vocie chat has helped me was when I was new to a game and I asked for what buttons did, that's really it.

They only time vocie chat has helped me was when I was new to a game and I asked for what buttons did, that's really it.

989819[/snapback]

That's annoying as hell. Play the single player before you hop online and start being a newb so you know what is going on.

I hate Xbox Live because of the idiots...kids sit there and have the dumbest conversation ever for four hours long. Little children give play by plays of every little thing they are doing plus the occasional "whoa" and "wow" thrown in there. If your not using the headset to communicate crucial team information, then shut the hell up.

Well see you've elaborated and it is somewhat of a different situation. Your case is much more acceptable. However as I am enjoying myself sniping the crap out of some Imperial trash in StarWars Battlefront II, I get annoyed by the children coming on and screaming in the mic "this game sux!!1 whats teh point of it, how do you do (insert action here),how do you do (insert action here),how do you do (insert action here),how do you do (insert action here), etc..what's this, do I shoot these guys? Is that Chewbacca? Where are we...where are the enemies?" and so forth.

Bleh. The exclusion of voice chat for the wifi was a good idea by Nintendo. You should know how to play the game IF you've done the single player modes, so button issues shouldn't be a problem. I'd prefer to play ALL my games single player for the exact reason that too much chatter irrelevent to a gaming situation pisses me off. Like "Last night I went out with such and such"...keep it to home, shut the hell up, and play the game!

There's way too much of that going on. Oh, and since I've been playing Mario & Luigi and Castlevania, I'd probably recast my vote for Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. I am having a BLAST playing this game!!

Steve

I don't have many of the above titles, but I am bloody hooked on the A.D.D. goodness that is WarioWare. Not quite evil, definately not good, and needs to lose some weight, another of my fictional heroes: Wario.

Hex.

[ Secretly suspects that the 'King of the Cosmos might be Rick James -- #!^@h ]

I bought Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble today and I'm now surprised that it's not on the list for this poll. Before I played it, I thought the touch-screen implementation in the game sounded gimmicky, but I was wrong. This game not only captures the essence of what I love about Viewtiful Joe but adds a lot of great touchscreen-based powers.

Rayman DS isn't as bad as I heard, either. Except it's so dark...

Well animal crossing gets my vote. Any game that can cause me to go out and buy extra copies is OK in my book. Not even nintendogs succeeded in that.

Mario Kart DS is a close second.

As stated earlier the wife factor really knocks it up there. Me, my wife, and son all have three seperate towns and just cant get enough of it.

I voted for Star Wars as I cannot put it down ;)

991918[/snapback]

Nice. Great game eh? I honestly think this is the best beat em up I've played in a really long time. That extra dog fight mode is just icing on the cake and if we are all lucky, they'll make a stand alone game based on the Rogues Squadron type levels

I still want to get that star wars game, but there is just no way I'm paying 40$ for it. Once it gets marked down to like 20$ I'm in because I do love a good hack and slash side scroller, and I do love star wars. (just look at my avatar :D)

I also still need to get viewtaful joe, but I know thta game will get marked down and soon because that's just what happens with the joe games. I'm in no hurry though seeing as how I still have lots to play. I haven't even opened trace memory or mario and luigi partners in time yet. Right now I'm HOOKED on phoniex right. And I think I'm on the second last stage in sonic rush, but man is it a pain. Way to many leaps of faith in that stage if you ask me. Plus I have to check in on my town in animal crossing for a few minutes every day.

Not to mention I think I'm about half way through dig dug digging strike. I would say I like dig dug the least out of the games I got for the DS for x mas. But it's still a fun game to be sure, at least a C or maybe a B-. It's a nice twist on the dig dug formula. And more fun when just playing for a few minutes at a time.

All and all I have PLENTY to play on my ds. So much so I haven't even gotten to try out sigma star saga and it's been in the bottom of the firggin thing since x-mas.