IGNORED

Gunfight and copy protection...

Snider-man

Some guys over on RGVC want to boycott Gunfight because they're not happy it's copy protected. Cry me a river. I fired a salvo back. If ya want to join in the fun, here's the Google link, else use your newsgroup reader:

Gunfight and Copy protection

Sic 'em or agree with 'em. Whatever.

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: Snider-man ]

His argument is that he can't play it on the Cuttlecart or Supercharger because of the copy protection. So he wants us to boycott a game he had no intention of ever buying anyway.

"I made this dub of a video. However, the dub doesn't work on my Betamax. Therefore, please boycott Sony Pictures because they're keeping me from enjoying their products for free."

What a loser idiot.

quote:

Originally posted by Snider-man:

Some guys over on RGVC want to boycott Gunfight because they're not happy it's copy protected. Cry me a river. I fired a salvo back.

Thanks Tim!

I don't know what else to say, which I haven't already said before.

I'm just tired of the discussion.

Why doesn't he rather boycott Nintendo, Sega, M$ or Sony for not giving their games away for free?

I'm not a multi-bazillion $ heavy company, I'm just happy for every 5$ I earn for one sold Gunfight and it encourages me to continue writing another 2600 game.

The downloadable game is running fine on all three emulators, that should do for evaluating, demoing and playtesting, so what are those guys wanting from me all the time?

Greetings,

Manuel

Thanks Tim!

No problem. I may be a hacker/fledgling programmer, but I know who's who and what's what. This guy just doesn't appreciate anything the programmers may provide. He wants it all. It's the same story everytime a new prototype appears. People start clamoring for the ROM dump rather than offering to pay for a copy of the cart.

The downloadable game is running fine on all three emulators, that should do for evaluating, demoing and playtesting, so what are those guys wanting from me all the time?

They want it for *free* and damn you for not providing it!

My post to them hasn't shown up yet, but I asked him what video game store he frequents that lets him open the package and fully play and test the game before he buys.

"They must go through a ton of shrinkwrap everytime you come in the store," I remember writing.

Oh yeah, and I bought a copy of Gunfight some time ago. Enjoy the fiver!

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: Snider-man ]

That is a freakin joke!!!.. I own a Cuttle Cart.. and yes.. I LOOOOOOVE having roms available for use.. but.. This (Gunfight) is a new product... with an author that has busted his ass making it ( I have looked at the coding it takes to make one of these suckers..).. If the author acually wants an individual to buy the right of usage to his intellectual property.. more power to him!!

I personally have not played the game yet.. cause I havent found the floating cash to get one... so for now I miss out.. that is the way our wonderful econimic system works!!

what a joke!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Cybergoth:

But, being an emulator author yourself now, you surely know that none of the VCS emulators is perfect yet. And you also have seen plenty of homebrew games that their creators considered to be the final version, because it worked nicely on the emulators. Some of these still had severe problems on the real hardware. So there surely is a good reason for wanting to try out a game on your own system before you buy it. But of course not haveing this possibility is no reason for boycotting the game.

My reasons for not liking your decission to keep only the Cuttle Cart owners locked out from trying out Gunfight you probably have already heard more often than you ever wanted to, so I promise not to repeat them here.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Good for you Manuel, you decided on something and are standing by it. I understand why you did it and hopefully you are getting enough royalties off your game to inspire you to write more games.

If you look at your desicion from a software point of view you offer your game as shareware for emulators, try before you buy. It looks like many people are looking for a version that doesn't expire and they will never have to purcahse, aka Cuttle Cart.

I hope all the chatter dies down and you are still excited as you was about Atari game programming. Otherwise we have lost another great game programmer.

Due to all the chatter on my services, hopefully I can own your games as well one day if I manage to buy them somewhere other than your publisher.

I stand behind you Manuel, and hope the chatter stops and you program many more great games. My hat is off to you

If some game not work on SuperCharger or Cuttle Card, this is no reason for me that I don't buy it.

If it work good on Emulator you can test it, and if the game is fine for you, you can buy it.

Many games work not on Super Charger (all over 4k, and some others too not). But this is no reason not to buy them.

This is for me more reason to buy them, because I like to see them on a real console, and not only on Emulator.

So there are many out, who not boycott any game which don't work on Emulator or Super Charger. All who boycott have no idae how many work it is, to write a game and sell it. So respect all, who can write games and I hope for all Writers, that many fans and people buy the games.

PS: I don't buy Gunfight, because I don't like the game. But this is only a reason for me, so anyone else can buy it, if he love it, and I hope that many buy it.

Maybe I will buy it in the future, or if I get it on ebay. But not in the moment.

I have buy some homebrows. And I have never look, if they work on Super Charger or not. This is a stupid thing for me. If the game is great, I buy it, if I don't like them, I don't buy them.

It looks like some people that want something for nothing need to look up the definition of 'Capitalism' in a dictionary.My next order/purchase from Hozer Vidio already has Gunfight at the top of the list...

You know what makes me mad? When I can't run my CD-Rs on my mod-chipped PSX. I say we boycott Sony as well. How dare they deny me my access to free games...Er...I mean, I'm just playtesting these games to see if I want to buy them. Yeah, that's it.

Now the Gunfight boycott thread has also poped up on rec.games.vectrex and is used there against the 2600 community.  

Wow. The Atari/Colecovision/Intellivision arguments of the 80s meets the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube arguments of today. "Atari RuLeZ! Vectrex DrOoLZ!" Sheesh. Whatever guys.

As my pop used to say, "You can't argue with someone who's right." No sense in giving these RGVC dolts even more ammo. I'm dropping out until this dies back into oblivion....again. Sorry you have to go through this again, Manuel. On the bright side, the Futurama heat seems to have been taken off of me!

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: Snider-man ]

Homebrew programmers are champions. That's all there is to it. It takes a long time to perfect a 2600 game, and you guys are the best.

I hate that someone like this is annoying you guys - it's not fair at all.

Homebrew programmers should be highly encouraged, not annoyed by such stupid people. I fully support your decision (If only I had the cash to back it up - rest assured, I will buy them as soon as I can).

quote:

Originally posted by Eckhard Stolberg:

But of course not haveing this possibility is no reason for boycotting the game.

What makes me so angry is, that he demands everybody to "Boycott Gunfight".

If he doesn't like the protection, ok, that's his decision, but trying to stop others from buying a homebrew is extremly unfair!

I never heard about this until now, thats' absolutely disgusting! heck, these guys spent $$$ on a Cuttlecart, it's not going to cripple them to pay the few dollars for a REAL game cart once in a while.

Gunfight rules, it's easily one of the best 2 player games I've played on the VCS (and that's not because I drew the label )

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

I never heard about this until now, thats' absolutely disgusting! heck, these guys spent $$$ on a Cuttlecart, it's not going to cripple them to pay the few dollars for a REAL game cart once in a while.

IMO, the only problem this guy has is, that he wants to put all games he owns away and play them on CC instead. Nothing to say against that.

But just because there is no working dump available and he isn't able or to lazy to dump Gunfight he starts accusing Manuel. That's sad, very very sad.

Hi there!

I just have to say that I'm overwhelmed by the positive feedback here, even from people I have had - let's say *hot* - discussions in the past. Thanks guys! It's really a pleasure to be here amongst such nice people.

I've to especially thank Eckhard Stollberg for speaking up to my defense, most of all since I know he does not like the copy-protection himself (for reasons I can partially understand).

In the meantime I've heard enough pros and cons in that discussion to feel uncertain about it myself. It's just - at one point - as Junie said - I decided to stick with my descission.

I've not yet decided how to release my next game, but you can be sure I'll not waste my precious few free hours to work on copy protection schemes crap. My goal (as usual :-)) is rather trying to create the best VCS game ever made.

Just to proove that, here's an actual (yet unplayable) demo BIN of Star Fire!

Greetings,

Mnauel