IGNORED

flashback games on cart?

That'd be pretty cool! I'd love to see a cart version of all the Flashback One games(in their corrupted, edited, and nes form) in a cart we can use on the Atari 2600.

987695[/snapback]

Well, in order to get them to run on the 2600 they'd have to be 2600 games, so they could not be in their "corrupted, edited, and nes form". The original Flashback doesn't have any NEW games on it, just ports of existing 2600 and 7800 games. You'd basically have to write the games again from scrach, and nobody is going to do that to try to mimic the behavior of these games on the original Flashback. The Flashback 2, though, is a more interesting proposition since it is based on real 2600 hardware, and it includes several new games. It's a much more trivial manner to run these on a 2600 system.

..Al

It would be cool to have Save Mary on cartridge.

I guess we just got lucky getting Saboteur on cart before Atari Interactive took the rights away from everyone.

987821[/snapback]

Save Mary might already be on a few carts. One of Cousin Vinnie's reviews is on Save Mary, and it has pictures of labels that were considered for the game. His review states that although it is a 2600 game, it was originally intended for the 7800.

I guess we just got lucky getting Saboteur on cart before Atari Interactive took the rights away from everyone.

987821[/snapback]

Save Mary might already be on a few carts. One of Cousin Vinnie's reviews is on Save Mary, and it has pictures of labels that were considered for the game. His review states that although it is a 2600 game, it was originally intended for the 7800.

987961[/snapback]

Not exactly correct, it's a 2600 game that was hacked to use the 7800s cart RAM instead of including a 2600 Sara RAM chip on the cart. It was never originally intended for the 7800.

Mitch

987821[/snapback]

987961[/snapback]

Not exactly correct, it's a 2600 game that was hacked to use the 7800s cart RAM instead of including a 2600 Sara RAM chip on the cart. It was never originally intended for the 7800.

Mitch

988188[/snapback]

I have heard to same was done with shooting Arcade and actually put into a small release. I don't know how many 7800 Shooting Arcade carts where made not have I seen even one of them but the Nafj guy on ebay (the 7800 Nazi) has one but he wont even show me a pic of it or the box, as it has a box also. I would love to know how this process works\get my hands on the hacked BIN as I would like to pt Shooting Arcade on a 7800 cart and I'm sure alot of others would too. Although I do already own 2600 Shooting Arcade :) :arrow: :cool:

987821[/snapback]

987961[/snapback]

Mitch

988188[/snapback]

Actually, the deal is that there is some serendipity in the 7800 memory map that allows you to write Superchip games by using a 7800 in 2600 mode where it has some additional features that corresponds to how the Superchip works.

So I think there is a way to run superchip games unmodified but without the SARA chip on a 7800 with a 7800 cart board. From what I've been told, the EPROMs in Lance's carts are the same physical ones Atari Corp. manufactured to be put into the initial batch of production 2600 carts, which is why he doesn't have to obtain permission from Infotari since he's merely reselling the chips in a playable package. It's not a typical grey-market repro pirate affair.

If someone made a Superchip board he could use then he could sell them as true 2600 games.

Edited by mos6507