IGNORED

I finally got an Xbox

Atarifever

After constantly finding something else (an N-Gage, all the great new N-Gage games, Donky Konga games, A DS, the whole DS and GBA library, a Saturn, a pile of cheap Dreamcast games, etc) getting in the way of my buying an xbox, my brother sent me the money for one for Christmas. I picked it up today. Unfortuately, the only ones in my hometown (where I am right now) were in the back in Wal-Mart (hidden from all the non 360 customers; by the way there are piles of them unbought here) and were the ones that came with Fusion Frenzy and Froza Motorsport. The former is something I didn't know existed on the system, a fun party game, and the latter is my last favorite type of game. Being that I only have one controller yet and no one wanting to play, the party game, although a pleasent surprise, is almost useless until I get another controller and me and my girlfriend can go a few rounds. The racing game will get almost no play. Also, my birthday is on January second, and I think my sister bought me a game, so I can't chance buying another until after then. So, right now I'm stuck with a sexy new Xbox and nothing to play on it. Also, my hometown is little Japan or somethng, as everything here is GameCube and Playstation in stores (the wal-mart store even has a very tiny Xbox section compared to the massive cube and PS2 sections), and it's nearly impossible to find any Xbox games to rent anywhere here at all. It's so bad right now that I'm playing my new 32X (which I also got for Christmas) over my Xbox. What I wouldn't give for Halo or Crimson Skies right now. Heck, I'd take Conkor.

By the way, memo to Microsoft:

I love your system, but stop being such a bunch of cheapasses. You're mega rich, why the hell didn't my pack-in games come with manuals? You guys have to have the cash for that somewhere in your money pit.

Edited by Atarifever

I beleive Fuzion Frenzy was a launch title and is a blatant ripoff of Mario Party. I found it mediocre at best...but not too bad. I've found many cheap titles off eBay for my Xbox and I reccomend looking at some ending auctions and see what you can find. I got Unreal Tournament for four bucks with shipping the other day.

Are there Canadian versions of Xbox magazines? Some Xbox mags here in the US come with coverdisks filled with demo games. I bought magazines with coverdisks when I first got my Dreamcast and my PS2. They're a good way to get some use out of a new console, and it's an easy way to find out whether games are any good before paying full price for them.

You might check out discount bins at big electronic stores and see what titles they have. There's loads and loads of games available for the Xbox, so the odds of buying a cheap game and then having your sister buy you the exact same game are fairly low. You could pick up a game that you think your sister wouldn't buy you, like Pure Pinball (with the meaningless T & A on the cover).

dude its the opposite here with walmarts (in PA) theres a very slim selection of cube ,and xbox games where as theres like 3 panels of ps2 games ,but only one for cube ,and xbox. its really lame. i have all 3 consoles ,but i enjoy my cube ,and xbox more. i bought my xbox back in august ,and i play it more than any of my other consoles. i turned away from xbox a few yrs ago because of the controller ,and the mainly pc ports along with games that appeared on other systems for the xbox. Now i got it i love it

Buy metal slug 3, imo it's one of the best games for the thing. And the game that finally pushed me to buy an x box. For me the x box has turned out to be an ok system but not a whole lot more. I got a few new x box games for christamas so play time will pick up. But if it weren't for star wars games I would never play the system. There was a good six month time spand where I didn't even turn the thing on.

You'll just have to wait until after your birthday! You wouldn't want a duplicate game, would you? :) But seriously, that's a rough situation. I'm sure you know in the Marketplace thread here on AA, you can probably find some good deals from someone here selling their old Xbox games. Way better than Ebay. :D

Steve

Buy metal slug 3, imo it's one of the best games for the thing.  And the game that finally pushed me to buy an x box.  For me the x box has turned out to be an ok system but not a whole lot more.  I got a few new x box games for christamas so play time will pick up.  But if it weren't for star wars games I would never play the system.  There was a good six month time spand where I didn't even turn the thing on.

990699[/snapback]

Time span on couch playing GTA: SA, months. Time span on couch playing Chronicles of Riddick, 2 days after I got past those stupid creatures in the tunnels. Kind of dissapointing that it's not replayable. I liked parts of the game, especially the parts where you finally have a freaking gun and some bullets.

Speaking of games without much replayability, I haven't played Metal Slug 3. I didn't know they were making side-scrolling SNES type games for the Xbox except for the ones in classic collections. I pretty much just want to play increasingly replayable versions of ripoff and original GTA, Half-Life, and Elder Scrolls games. I know many game designers think replayability is a dirty word, but I hope some will leave the dark side.

Metal slug 3 has a lot of replayability, you just have to like the genre. There are branching levels and getting a higher score in another factor. Plus it's one of the most finely tuned side scrollers ever made.

" I pretty much just want to play increasingly replayable versions of ripoff and original GTA, Half-Life, and Elder Scrolls games"

I'm sure glad you don't run the industry.

Edited by sega saturn x

I pretty much just want to play increasingly replayable versions of ripoff and original GTA, Half-Life, and Elder Scrolls games. I know many game designers think replayability is a dirty word, but I hope some will leave the dark side.

990751[/snapback]

Slow to finish = long time before next purchase.

Personally, I like the XBOX Live Arcade simple little quickies, like classic arcade games ... or candy. I think I've spent $75 on them so far ... :ponder:

Metal slug 3 has a lot of replayability, you just have to like the genre.

990810[/snapback]

The reviews I read today said it was low on replayability. Same crap in the same places for the most part. And yeah, I'm tired of side-scrollers, but I would change my mind if there was a new one where stuff was in different places.

I'm sure glad you don't run the industry.

990810[/snapback]

You better start worrying because I will. I will buy my way in for one million dollars. That should be enough. I'm sure of it.

The reviews I read today said it was low on replayability. Same crap in the same places for the most part. And yeah, I'm tired of side-scrollers, but I would change my mind if there was a new one where stuff was in different places.

Although it would be cool to see a randomly generated side scroller I just don't think it would have the same charm. Since most games with random levels tend to have all the levels be boring. It would be worth a play if done right but I don't think it ever will be, or at least not soon.

Edited by sega saturn x

Well, my sister gave me the xbox game early. It was Crimson Skies. I could not love the game more. I've played a lot of it now (I'm in the desert area and have headed for the titanium mine), and I think it's pretty much a version of Rogue Sqadron 2 with all the stuff I hated taken out and more freedom added. That's good because I loved the first few levels of Rogue Squadron and then hated the rest so bad I had to return it. This game, however, I'm liking more the longer I spend at it. Great game all around.

Edited by Atarifever