IGNORED

Atari 26,52 & 7800 converter For Jaguar

atari1970

Has Anyone ever thought How Nice it would be to Have a converter to play all atari 26,78 & 5200 Games on the jag? I Think that this would be a great idea. i dont think it would be that far fetched. we already have the 2600 converter for the 5200 so why not build off of that. just a thought.

Has Anyone ever thought How Nice it would be to Have a converter to play all atari 26,78 & 5200 Games on the jag? I Think that this would be a great idea. i dont think it would be that far fetched. we already have the 2600 converter for the 5200 so why not build off of that. just a thought.

990504[/snapback]

Did you use the search button above? i swear i asked that question a year or 4 ago on this site.

There would be a catch. There would have to be two converters or 2 cartridge slots the converter for the Jaguar. The shape of the 5200 cartridges are different then the 2600 and the 7800. The 5200 was able to play 2600 games because of the shape of Converter being put in. The converter has to a big slot for some of the 2600 games, unlike the 7800 model I have. The 5200 games wasn't able to fit in a 7800, so atari was rumored to have a atari 5200 adapter for the 7800 before Jack took over.

IF it is possible, there is the question of Jaguar Controllers could work on those games, or the controllers of the older systems can work with the jaguar. Also there is the price of making a converter.

Edited by 8th lutz

Programmers, is it or isn't it possible to create an emulator that contains all the 5200 games playable, and have it all fit onto 1 Jaguar CD, or Cart?

I only ask about the 5200 because it's my favorite of the 8-bits and well, lets be real the Jaguar controller is freakin perfect for this application.

990504[/snapback]

It would be best if some one rewrite classic games for the Jag or use emulators for the 2600, 5200 and the 7800 (if there were any) a converter would be too much work for anyone to make. There are not alot of Jag programmers out there but Matthias is working on a classic game Reversi (Othello on the 2600). :) look here Reversi!

Oh one more classic game is on the way! look here GORF! :lust: the 80's! :love:

Edited by walter_J64bit

If you're talking about a hardware thing, then it's not worthwhile. No matter how cheap you could make the thing, it would still be substantially more expensive than just buying an actual system.

A software emulator is a lot more feasible.

--Zero

990504[/snapback]

It would be awesome to have! I don't know how easy it would be to implement, though.

A hardware method (implementing the actual chipsets) would ideally be the best in terms of speed and compatibility, but as Ze_ro pointed out, it would be very expensive to produce. It would almost certainly cost more than buying up a used 2600, 5200, or 7800 console to play your games on. If someone managed to accomplish this, though, then it would be a great benefit, if only to have the convenience of playing all those games on a single system.

Software emulation would make for a more affordable solution, especially if the product were released on CD. The only real obstacle here is getting the emulator to be both fast and compatible. I'd probably be willing to sacrifice some amount compatibility with complex and/or obscure games, as long as many of the most popular and fun titles are working.

Even though there were two separate 2600 emulator projects in the works, I wonder if 5200 or Atari 8-bit computer emulation might be easier? I'm not an emulator programmer, but it's my understanding that even though the 2600 is a "simpler" system than the 5200 (or ColecoVision, NES, SMS, etc.) , it has a lot of complex timing-related issues that make it much more difficult to emulate than the 5200 and other later 8-bit systems. That, and the presence of the numeric keypad on the Jaguar controllers, would sway my vote towards getting 5200 emulation up and running on the Jaguar above 2600 or 7800.

My personal view is who cares if it costs more than a used 7800,5200,2600 console. It is the whole idea of the hardware adaptor that is awsome. One system for ALL your Atari carts? Hell ya.

992527[/snapback]

Yeh would be nice.

990504[/snapback]

It would be awesome to have! I don't know how easy it would be to implement, though.

A hardware method (implementing the actual chipsets) would ideally be the best in terms of speed and compatibility, but as Ze_ro pointed out, it would be very expensive to produce. It would almost certainly cost more than buying up a used 2600, 5200, or 7800 console to play your games on. If someone managed to accomplish this, though, then it would be a great benefit, if only to have the convenience of playing all those games on a single system.

Software emulation would make for a more affordable solution, especially if the product were released on CD. The only real obstacle here is getting the emulator to be both fast and compatible. I'd probably be willing to sacrifice some amount compatibility with complex and/or obscure games, as long as many of the most popular and fun titles are working.

Even though there were two separate 2600 emulator projects in the works, I wonder if 5200 or Atari 8-bit computer emulation might be easier? I'm not an emulator programmer, but it's my understanding that even though the 2600 is a "simpler" system than the 5200 (or ColecoVision, NES, SMS, etc.) , it has a lot of complex timing-related issues that make it much more difficult to emulate than the 5200 and other later 8-bit systems. That, and the presence of the numeric keypad on the Jaguar controllers, would sway my vote towards getting 5200 emulation up and running on the Jaguar above 2600 or 7800.

992479[/snapback]

There is a 5200 emulator for the Jag but it's not download :sad: 5200!

I don't know what's ongoing project. :?

My personal view is who cares if it costs more than a used 7800,5200,2600 console. It is the whole idea of the hardware adaptor that is awsome.

There's nothing awesome about it, beyond the geeky "look what I can do!" aspect. In every other respect it's a ridiculous, impractical solution.

If you want a single box that can play 2600/5200/7800 games, that's what emulation is for.

Why discuss about a topic that has been discussed alot of times before?

If you really want to have a emulator for the jaguar, then the only thing to do is build it for yourself

992760[/snapback]

Ooohh, someone get this fellow some milk. Miaw!

Ok isn't it time to shout at Carl again?? He has the VVCS thing at about 40% complete. He (as far as I am aware) has no itention of finisheing this project becasue he doesn't know enough about the 2600? So wouldn't it be an idea to get some of the people behind STella emulator together with Carl & get this finished??

One of the main reasons I bought a jag in the first place was the idea of playing updated 2600 Classics. Now that has happend to a small degree, I would love to play my 2600 games on my Jag. Now anyone for Kaboom! ???

Gaztee

:twisted:

Quite frankly, I'm quite happy with my 7800 system that plays 2600&7800 games and I'm quite happy with my Atari 8-bit computer that plays 800/xl/xe games and 5200 games (via rom image). If an adapter or emulator were made for the Jaguar, I'd much rather have it be for the Lynx. Lynx games rock and it would have the distinct advantage of being able to play all those great Lynx games on a big screen. If anyone is going to make any adapters/converters or emulators for the Jaguar, I'd hope the Lynx or even the ST is the focus rather than systems that already have multiple systems to play the games on (2600/7800=7800; Atari 800/5200=800, not to mention emulators for all of the above on PC's, DC's, PS2's, Xbox's and unix&Mac systems) The Lynx would be the way to go...

The Lynx would be the way to go...

Wasn't there some sort of comlynx being designed for the Jag, so that you could link them together?? WOuld this have allowed Lynx games to be played on a big screen? Or is it like the PSP + PS2/3 link??

I have to agree that it would be good to play Lynx games on a big screen & also have a decent version of Checkered Flag on the big cat :D

Gaztee

:twisted:

The 5200 was able to play 2600 games because of the shape of Converter being put in.  The converter has to a big slot for some of the 2600 games, unlike the 7800 model I have.  The 5200 games wasn't able to fit in a 7800, so atari was rumored to have a atari 5200 adapter for the 7800 before Jack took over.

The 5200 was able to play 2600 games because the 2600 adapter was actually a 2600 that used the 5200 as a pass through for a power supply.

I hate to be a downer, but could the Jag realistically emulate a 2600 at

full speed with sound? Wouldnt some compromises need to be made?

I dont see the Jag emulating a 5200, 7800 or Lynx at all.

Dont get me wrong, the Jag can do some pretty impressive things, but

it doesnt really have much cpu horsepower with it's wimpy 68000 for

much emulating.

Edited by kevin242

I hate to be a downer, but could the Jag realistically emulate a 2600 at

full speed with sound?   Wouldnt some compromises need to be made?

I dont see the Jag emulating a 5200, 7800 or Lynx at all.

Dont get me wrong, the Jag can do some pretty impressive things, but

it doesnt really have much cpu horsepower with it's wimpy 68000 for

much emulating.

993005[/snapback]

First off, 2600 emulation has already been started in the Jaguar VVCS (Virtual VCS that was close to half complete) that Carl at Songbird has the rights too, and from what I recall, it already had a few games up and running proving it could easily be done. Secondly I've seen a lot of amazing things done on systems, despite nay-sayers saying it was impossible due to power. Who say's the majority of emulation has to center around the "wimpy" 68000 in the first place? Not to mention that the ST line had/has emulators for the 8-bit line, if the ST can do that, with any small success at all, the Jaguar could easily do it, which covers the 5200 power-wise and would also mean the 7800 isn't that far out either, as well as the Lynx. But I don't have the knowlege&skills to try, so if no other programmer ever attempts it, we'll never know who's right, will we? Besides, we are talking about the possiblity of emulator AND hardware adapter/converters, which would naturally have the proper hardware on board. That's all the 5200's 2600 adapter is; a 2600 plugged into the 5200 and the 5200's 7800 adapter would hve been the same thing.

If Nintentdo can make the Super Gameboy for the SNES to run gameboy games, then something similiar could be done with the Lynx and Jaguar. It is COMPLETELY possible, the problem occurs with feasability due to limited resources, since Nintendo had tons and the Jag community has very little. But if someone wants to do it bad enough, it can be done.

Edited by Gunstar

• 2 months later...

Emulation entirely in software would be the way to go.

But, I feel the Jaguar would be too slow to do anything other than the 2600, and even that would be a struggle, especially since you have to spend probably 5x or more due to having to do cycle-precise emu for the CPU and graphics.

I can remember using an 800 emu on the ST, I think it ran at about 25% the speed of a real machine.

I don't understand what the point would be. Aren't there already more than enough platforms for playing 2600 games? I guess it would be cool for about five minutes to see the old games running on the Jag, but it wouldn't be worth the considerable effort that would be needed to finish the extant emulators. Maybe that's one reason they're still unfinished.