IGNORED

Finally got a DS

narutofan

It is awesome and blue.  I'm going to eb on monday to get some games for it! :D

991039[/snapback]

can you play it now? Or did you buy the system without any games (that would

drive me crazy!). When I bought mine in June I started collecting games for it about

a month or so in advance so that when I got the system I had a 3 games already

(plus mine came with Mario 64 and Metroid hunters demo too).

One thing I recommend, get the screen protectors for both screens right away.

Toys R Us is having a sale on videogames right now.  I picked up the GBA Final Fintasy 1&2 (on the same cart) for $10.  They also had GBA F-Zero for $10, as well as a few other games.

991087[/snapback]

They also have "Feel the Magic" for the Nintendo DS for 10 bucks, so that is a good

deal. I picked up Polarium from TRUS about 2 months ago for 15 bucks and at that

time they had Atari Retro Classics (which is considered a shit game, so I didnt get it)

for only 10 bucks.

Get Tony Hawk's American Sk8teland! The price just dropped to thirty bucks, and it's an excellent game; even better than Vicarious Visions' already impressive Game Boy Advance T-Hawks. There's an online mode too, if you ever feel like competing against other players from around the country.

JR

I got a silver DS for Xmas. It came with the Metroid Prime: Hunters (?) Demo and I tried out various GBA carts. With the Namco Museum you can switch the screen orientation so that Dig Dug is correct on the Y-axis - of course you have to rotate the DS to then play it. Anyhow, I'm looking to get some cheap DS games, so thanks to everyone for the info (the only one I saw under $10 was Snood 2 at Best Buy). I'd like to get the Atari Retro collection even though some people didn't like it and the Space Invaders title. I saw Zoo Keeper in GameStop the other day, but it wasn't an update of the original title as far as I could tell from the box. I don't know anyone else around who has one so the wireless stuff has thus far gone untried.

You'd get a wider variety of answers from www.metacritic.com, but the general consensus is that it's not a good game. It's very much like those choose your own adventure books, where you're presented with a situation and have three choices as to how you'll handle it. Choose wrong, and the date ends prematurely. Make all the right choices, and you get, well, sprung.

JR

I got a silver DS for Xmas.  It came with the Metroid Prime: Hunters (?) Demo and I tried out various GBA carts.  With the Namco Museum you can switch the screen orientation so that Dig Dug is correct on the Y-axis - of course you have to rotate the DS to then play it.  Anyhow, I'm looking to get some cheap DS games, so thanks to everyone for the info (the only one I saw under $10 was Snood 2 at Best Buy).  I'd like to get the Atari Retro collection even though some people didn't like it and the Space Invaders title.  I saw Zoo Keeper in GameStop the other day, but it wasn't an update of the original title as far as I could tell from the box.  I don't know anyone else around who has one so the wireless stuff has thus far gone untried.

991675[/snapback]

zoo keeper is a bejeweled clone, it's actually a lot of fun for a simple puzzle game (I

prefer it to for example Polarium) but if you dont have many DS games I would only

recommend ZK if it is cheap.

I got the wife a candy pink DS from Japan - so now we can play head to head games round the household :) Games I'm playing right now:

Animal Crossing WW

Mario Kart

Lost in Blue

Nanostray

she's loving Bubble Bobble Revolution (Japanese), Trauma Center, and Bust a Move.

I just got a red DS with Mariokart for Christmas. I also received Castlevania, Metroid Pinball, Sonic, and Kirby:CC as gifts.

I'm really enjoying playing the DS. I think the games are a lot of fun. However, as much as I like the games, I can't help but feel a bit like I'm just playing a slightly upgraded Gameboy. True, Kirby is a blast and is unlike anything else I've ever played but it just seems like aside from the touch screen, the DS isn't really much of a leap over the Gameboy Advance. Now, I'm not griping. I really like the DS. I guess I just don't see what all the fuss is about. I like the touchscreen and Wi-fi connectivity. I do wish the screens were larger and I'm a bit disappointed that it's not more advanced 3d-wise (wasn't expecting PSP quality). Regarding games, Metroid Pinball, Castlevania, and Sonic seem a lot like their GBA counterparts (MP is A LOT like Pinball of the Dead). Granted, I haven't played very far into any of the games yet.

Am I missing something? Perhaps, I fell too much for the hype. It's a great little system but I can't help feel like I'm already getting a very similar experience out of the Gameboy Advance.

Anyone else feel the same? For those that disagree, what games have made you feel like the DS is a whole new experience? Maybe I'm playing the wrong games. I don't have the Metroid Prime Hunters demo...is that pretty impressive, 3d-wise?

One more thing: I'm sure I'm coming off like a 3d freak that is expecting the DS to do things it wasn't designed to do. I really enjoy 2d games, as well. It's just that I feel the GBA was already doing 2d games like Castlevania and Sonic very well.

Edited by ClassicBoy

Am I missing something?  Perhaps, I fell too much for the hype.  It's a great little system but I can't help feel like I'm already getting a very similar experience out of the Gameboy Advance.

992698[/snapback]

The problem is that you have mostly 2D games, and the 2D games on the DS don't look much better than they do on the GBA (except better sprite animation, etc.). I think the new Viewtiful Joe game on the DS has pretty nice graphics, as does Mario 64 DS, but most games don't really push the graphics hardware much. And when they try to (as in most racing games on the system), the results are pretty bad, especially when you can compare side-to-side with the PSP (Ridge Racer or Burnout Legends, for example).

As developers continue to work with the DS's hardware and capabilities, I'm certain we will see games that push the graphics hardware more than most games currently do (and do it at a better framerate). I personally am still waiting for a good 3D action RPG (a la Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance or Diablo) and some decent first person shooters. Metroid Prime: Hunters demo has pretty nice 3D graphics and detailed textures (probably the best textures I've seen on the DS so far), but I'm worried that if the focus is on multiplayer, that the single-player experience may get the short end of the development stick.

I just got a red DS with Mariokart for Christmas.  I also received Castlevania, Metroid Pinball, Sonic, and Kirby:CC as gifts.

I'm really enjoying playing the DS.  I think the games are a lot of fun.  However, as much as I like the games, I can't help but feel a bit like I'm just playing a slightly upgraded Gameboy.  True, Kirby is a blast and is unlike anything else I've ever played but it just seems like aside from the touch screen, the DS isn't really much of a leap over the Gameboy Advance.  Now, I'm not griping.  I really like the DS.  I guess I just don't see what all the fuss is about.  I like the touchscreen and Wi-fi connectivity.  I do wish the screens were larger and I'm a bit disappointed that it's not more advanced 3d-wise (wasn't expecting PSP quality).  Regarding games, Metroid Pinball, Castlevania, and Sonic seem a lot like their GBA counterparts (MP is A LOT like Pinball of the Dead).  Granted, I haven't played very far into any of the games yet.

Am I missing something?  Perhaps, I fell too much for the hype.  It's a great little system but I can't help feel like I'm already getting a very similar experience out of the Gameboy Advance.

Anyone else feel the same?  For those that disagree, what games have made you feel like the DS is a whole new experience?  Maybe I'm playing the wrong games.  I don't have the Metroid Prime Hunters demo...is that pretty impressive, 3d-wise?

One more thing:  I'm sure I'm coming off like a 3d freak that is expecting the DS to do things it wasn't designed to do.  I really enjoy 2d games, as well.  It's just that I feel the GBA was already doing 2d games like Castlevania and Sonic very well.

992698[/snapback]

I don't know if you're missing anything. Graphically, it's a bit of an upgrade over the GBA, but what are we talking here, 32X-N64 type difference? I don't know how big that difference is graphically. However, if you've played Kirby and "don't see what all the fuss was about" then perhaps it's not your thing. It is entirely posssible not to like Touch Screen games, and if that's the case then you just got a PSP with lower graphical abilities, a smaller screen size, a longer battery life, and a lower cost. Given that it was a present, the last one wasn't even an advantage to you. Maybe you'd be happier with a PSP.

Edited by Atarifever

I just got a red DS with Mariokart for Christmas.  I also received Castlevania, Metroid Pinball, Sonic, and Kirby:CC as gifts.

I'm really enjoying playing the DS.  I think the games are a lot of fun.  However, as much as I like the games, I can't help but feel a bit like I'm just playing a slightly upgraded Gameboy.  True, Kirby is a blast and is unlike anything else I've ever played but it just seems like aside from the touch screen, the DS isn't really much of a leap over the Gameboy Advance.  Now, I'm not griping.  I really like the DS.  I guess I just don't see what all the fuss is about.  I like the touchscreen and Wi-fi connectivity.  I do wish the screens were larger and I'm a bit disappointed that it's not more advanced 3d-wise (wasn't expecting PSP quality).  Regarding games, Metroid Pinball, Castlevania, and Sonic seem a lot like their GBA counterparts (MP is A LOT like Pinball of the Dead).  Granted, I haven't played very far into any of the games yet.

Anyone else feel the same?  For those that disagree, what games have made you feel like the DS is a whole new experience?  Maybe I'm playing the wrong games.  I don't have the Metroid Prime Hunters demo...is that pretty impressive, 3d-wise?

One more thing:  I'm sure I'm coming off like a 3d freak that is expecting the DS to do things it wasn't designed to do.  I really enjoy 2d games, as well.  It's just that I feel the GBA was already doing 2d games like Castlevania and Sonic very well.

992698[/snapback]

I love the DS, but in some ways I agree with what you are saying. My fav

games right now Mario and Luigi and Mario Kart while alot of fun are only

a step up from the GBA, they arent going to graphically blow you away.

personally I feel the Metroid Hunters demo is sort of boring and plain, but

from what Ive seen of the actual game it looks great, will it be up to Quake 4

standards, fraid not, but it does look impressive.

Basically the GBA is a suped up SNES level of graphics, and the DS is more like

the N64, and the N64 so that is what you are getting. The "hype" around

the DS is that there are ingenius games that use the DS's unique features.

If those type of games are not your thing and you want console style on your

handheld, then your best bet is to sell the DS and buy a PSP, altho I would

give it more of chance. I almost brought back my DS in June and got a PSP

but now I am so glad I didnt!

992698[/snapback]

I love the DS, but in some ways I agree with what you are saying. My fav

games right now Mario and Luigi and Mario Kart while alot of fun are only

a step up from the GBA, they arent going to graphically blow you away.

personally I feel the Metroid Hunters demo is sort of boring and plain, but

from what Ive seen of the actual game it looks great, will it be up to Quake 4

standards, fraid not, but it does look impressive.

Basically the GBA is a suped up SNES level of graphics, and the DS is more like

the N64, and the N64 so that is what you are getting. The "hype" around

the DS is that there are ingenius games that use the DS's unique features.

If those type of games are not your thing and you want console style on your

handheld, then your best bet is to sell the DS and buy a PSP, altho I would

give it more of chance. I almost brought back my DS in June and got a PSP

but now I am so glad I didnt!

993008[/snapback]

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I'm beginning to think that my perception that the DS isn't much more than a souped up Gameboy is probably wrong. I think it may just be a matter of me having games that are predominantly 2d. I checked out the video demos of Metroid Prime Hunters over at Gamespot. Those demos definitely look cool and look like they are running on better-than-N64 hardware. That's good enough for me. I've been around long enough to still get geeked out over a handheld that's N64 level capable. I only wish that Nintendo would capitalize on this a bit more like they have replicating SNES's best games on the GBA. I'd love to see more N64 gems like Zelda Ocarina of Time, Rare's Goldeneye, etc. ported to the DS along with the new, innovative touch screen titles.

I'm not interested in a PSP. It looks fantastic but I already have a PS2 and don't take portables "out and about" much. If I'm going to spend $50 on a game, it will almost always be a console game. I also like that, traditionally, handhelds offer an experience you really can't get on the consoles. Such as the fantastic 2d titles that are no longer produced for consoles but are still being released for the GBA. It doesn't seem to me that the PSP offers a much different experience than playing a PS2. That's kind of why I was excited about the DS...it was to be an experience that other systems couldn't deliver. After more thought, I do think it delivers on this promise...and probably will continue to deliver better and more unique games as more developers wrap their minds around it's capabilities.

I don't know if you have this game yet, but a game I really thought made great use of the touch screen was trauma center under the knife. Although it's 2-d (and I think it was actually a GBA agme first) phoenix wright is a great DS game that is made much quicker and more intuitive by using the touch screen. Although you really don't need to use it.