IGNORED

Reaxion A8 release

TMR

Okay, it's been delayed for an age so... well, sod it, time for release and here's a little pitch;

REAXION

Ninety nine levels of puzzle action each tougher than the last, featuring spiffy graphics and a soundtrack jointly by C64 heroes Adam "Sack" Hay and Sean Connolly (one of the composers behind System 3's Turbocharge and Flairsoft's Elvira). Should happily run on any PAL machine with 64K of memory.

Want to play? Well you can't! Just kidding... head over to www.cosine.org.uk to get it, as well as Reaxion Plus/4 which was also released today. Happy new year an' all that. =-)

Edited by TMR

You know, I am a bit twistet about this game, because it is exactly as (I thought in the past) it will be...

It looks good for an A8 Game and it plays well.

But the C64 game shows more "love in detail".

F.E. the music fades in the C64 version and the FX on the Title Screen are "someting impossible" while on the A8 standard FX are used.

OK. For a first Game-project on the A8, it really looks nice and rounded up.

:thumbsup:

BTW: Happy new year to everyone

well done jason! love the msx and the professional style... another finished game... hehehe... next should be boinxx or venus...

991980[/snapback]

Well, it goes without saying i'm looking forward to both but i'll say it anyway; i'm looking forward to both. =-)

You know, I am a bit twistet about this game, because it is exactly as (I thought in the past)  it will be...

F.E. the music fades in the C64 version and the FX on the Title Screen are "someting impossible" while on the A8 standard FX are used.

991950[/snapback]

The music fading is handled by the drivers supplied by Sean Connolly and Glenn Rune Gallefoss on the C64 versions, RMT either lacks that feature or it's too well embedded in the documentation - me not being a sound man, i don't know sound hardware or indeed the bulk of the software on either platform so i don't add the fades.

The "impossible" effect on the C64 titles page is based on an Ikari crack intro from 1988 (specifically, the top one on this page), the colours are merely the background, sprite and sprite multi colours (using horizontally expanded multicolour sprites) and the sprite definitions moved with a loop. It's actually a lot easier to do than the raster fest on the A8 titles page (three splits per scanline) or the chroming on the Plus/4 version (that was the hardest, raster timing on the 264 series is... interesting with two badlines per character) because it doesn't require any precise raster timing. It was used on the C64 version because i was in a hurry to finish the game for a deadline and too lazy to time rasters.

Next time the music'll fade because i'll get someone who knows sound to have a look at the RMT driver (or possibly persuade a certain person to write a sound driver, that's how the 264 and VIC soundtracks were done) but also next time there won't be a comparison point; the next main project (there are two sub-projects on the go as well) is going to be an action game and planned to be only for the Atari. But that's all i'm sayin' about it for now, no name, no description and therefore no nagging to get it done. =-)

Very stylish! Bravo!

Ta very much. =-)

Do you want exclusive download on your site and distribution through Cronosoft or is it OK to have this game on other sites?

992085[/snapback]

We have a policy regards distribution; the service Cronosoft offer is putting the game onto a tape or disk, labelling it, printing an inlay and sending it out and that's what the reasonable amount of money charged is for, not for the game itself. In other words, as long as, like your site or Fandal's, no money is taken for the download then we're more than happy to see it on other people's sites. A link to www.Cosine.org.uk would be very much appreciated on the entry itself and the real names you'll need are Jason Kelk for code and graphics, Adam Hay and Sean Connolly for music. =-)

You know, I am a bit twistet about this game, because it is exactly as (I thought in the past)  it will be...

OK. For a first Game-project on the A8, it really looks nice and rounded up.

:thumbsup:

BTW: Happy new year to everyone

991950[/snapback]

It looks to be a great game, I wouldn't worry about if the C64 version has a few "tweeks" that seem better, Atari 8-bitter fans have their own unique/better titles in the works too. When A8 Space Harrier gets released it will have all kinds of goodies that blow away any C64 version (if one exists). There are a few other games in dev. too that will give A8 fans some vindication from years of bad A8 ports of C64 games back in the day, becuase anything that comes out now is out of love for the machines and not to make a quick buck in Atariland off another poor port of a C64 game. Besides, we still have Lucasfilm games and A.R.: The City which all blow away the C64 versions! Not too mention that the time for C64/A8 wars is over; both are great machines and both deserve top-notch software. This game (Reaxion) is a good example of top-notch software.

Edited by Gunstar

This game Reaxion is really, really good. It is sort of a mindbender in that the puzzles get a little tough and I don't think I can do it, but then there I go somehow and do it. The time limit keeps the tension and excitement high. It is very colorful and the music is good. Nice work!

PS: This would be a good one to put on a cart and sell on AtariAge webshop!

PPS: I wonder would it run on cart in 400/800?

PS: This would be a good one to put on a cart and sell on AtariAge webshop!

992414[/snapback]

i'm very much a tape and disk type person (the U.K. leant more towards tape than any other format) so it hadn't even crossed my mind during development but since release i've had a couple of similar suggestions made so... lets call it a maybe for the moment whilst i work out if the game'll run from cartridge for a start, i don't even know how Atari carts work!

PPS: I wonder would it run on cart in 400/800?

992414[/snapback]

The uncompressed OBX the assembler throws out is around 32K, so a 400 version is out of the question but i seem to remember not going past $C000 so a stock 48K 800 should be able to run it unless i assigned above there for the decruncher's buffers... i'm fairly sure i didn't, but i'd have to check - lots of flitting back and forth between versions to get the releases complete, y'see!

Is there a way to skip to a level?  Just curious...

992432[/snapback]

No, i've always been a fan of pure, linear games so i never add that sort of feature - i'm also far too used to having my work cracked and trained on the C64 and levelskip is something the crackers tend to put in...! =-)