IGNORED

SAP player for 8bit

krupkaj

So we have new ASMA archive. That's great news. But is possible to play SAP files natively on 8 bit machine? I know the POKEY emulation is decent, but the real thing is real thing. I have heard that some player was written, but I have not seen it. Maybe I have just searched on bad places.

Hi there!

So we have new ASMA archive. That's great news. But is possible to play SAP files natively on 8 bit machine? I know the POKEY emulation is decent, but the real thing is real thing. I have heard that some player was written, but I have not seen it. Maybe I have just searched on bad places.

Considering the A8 guys stole everything from the C64 scene as usual, a player would just need to load the SAP file, call the init subroutine once and the play subroutine continuously once per frame ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

Alas,

the SAP-XE player by EPI is good - but not perfect...

1) memory usage: the PC program to generate & play SAP files assumes that on a 64k Atari all 64k are available for the sounds; since this is untrue, some SAP sounds use memory locations that are unavailable on a real Atari (e.g. the I/O-ports) and thus cannot be played with the SAP-XE player (you simply cannot use all 64k on a real A8). Next the SAP-XE player requires some RAM itself and thus a few more sounds will not playback... well, you have to live with that !!

2) DIRectory: the SAP-XE player does not have a directory option; since there are approx 2000 SAP files available, try to remember all their filenames !! Well, it would be nice to have an update with a dir. option included...

3) memory requirements: the doc. file of the SAP-XE player says, that the program requires 128k RAM - untrue !! I tested this on a real 130XE computer with 128k RAM and the SAP-XE player does not work there !! In fact, the program requires 128k XRAM or a total of 192k RAM (64k RAM + 128k eXtra RAM)... Well, it would be nice to have a player for 64k or at least 128k computers (192k is a little too much)...

At the moment I am converting 1800 SAP files to the A8. so far I have downloaded all of them, renamed all of the SAP files to 8.3 filenames and tested / checked approx. 1200 files if they play correct on a real A8. Think that less than 100 files did not play (and most of them were long files, especially digitized/sampled sounds)... So, Epi`s player is really good, but I would still like to see a small update for 128k machines and of course a Dir. option included... -Andreas.

• 13 years later...

Super-Extreme-Mega-Bump.

Is the a better version of the SAP player? I can't get this one to work at all. I have tried all memory configurations, and it still only loads 1 or 2 sectors of the music file and locks up.

It's a small file ~8K

Edit: Typo.

Edited by Kyle22

On 1/5/2006 at 10:45 AM, krupkaj said:

I convert SAPs to XEXs. So I can listen to them with the real thing. A sort of limited workaround.

Unplayable SAPs could be played with Altirra and turned into a SAP-R file, which can then be compressed and turned into a native player again. There's a thread about in the Programming forum. I was about to say I'm too lazy to look it up, but it was fairly easy :

Page by page this thread turned into a marvelous SAP-R compressor and player! Next step IMHO would be to turn that player back into a normal SAP file, but that's not done yet.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

bumping this because I would love a sap player like @Xuel's pdm player for avgcart and I am incapable of writing something like that myself, even with the wealth of existing source code out there.

EDIT: Here's the latest SAPEMU, the one above is 0.2, this one is 0.3

SAPEMU3.XEX

And here's the instructions.

README.md

Edited by Mr Robot
Added latest player.
  • Like 4