IGNORED

Froggo Games, the worst 3rd party company ever?

HP Atari King of Michigan

Apart from Mythicon I can't think of any games companies that released 100% pure crap.

997043[/snapback]

Did Ultravision produce anything worthwhile? Froggo gets blamed for Karate (well, they should be blamed for resurecting it), but Ultravision programmed it. The database just lists Karate and Condor Attack as being Ultravision's sole titles and either of those would make Starfox look good.

I think that Bermuda Triangle and L-5 also kick ass. Journey Escape is at least mediocre. So that's a 4 out of 8 record, not too shabby.

How about this vote for worst publisher: Mystique and/or Playaround

998189[/snapback]

Cathouse Blues is almost playable, and does have somewhat original gameplay, so I wouldn't label Playaround as producing absolute total garbage. Though I'll admit it's close.

Mythicon is probably the worst.

As for Apollo, I think the best bets there are Spacechase and Lost Luggage. Spacechase is head and shoulders above the rest of their titles, though.

Data Age's games are okayish. Frankenstein's Monster and Airlock are worth a play or two here and there.

Activision probably made the most good titles before having a dud, and Starpath has a good cream to crap ratio (Killer Satellites must have been made on a Monday).

CBS is also a good bet, as is Imagic. If you can put up with stuff like Blueprint and Fire Fighter (decent games as it is), you'll probably like any of CBS or Imagic's other games, too.

US Games were renowned for some nice graphics in their games such as Gopher, Squeeze Box and Piece of Cake but the games themselves were pretty repetitive. Commando Raid was a fun game despite the awkwardness of the gun controls but games such as Sneek & Peek, Name This Game and Space Jockey were pretty boring.

Apollo had a couple of Turkeys with Skeet Shoot in particular and although the graphics of most of their games were bland some of the games actually possessed potential. Infiltrate was one of those games for their was a certain strategy employed in it. Mythicon's three games though were indeed garbage but I still believe that Data Age should have the crown ;)

Other than Warplock and Sssnake, the rest of Data Age's library is not bad at all.

Airlock is one of my favorite games with a fun victory screen and there has already been a lot of praise for the great Frankenstein's Monster.

Encounter at L5, Bermuda Triangle, Journey Escape are all fair to good.

Bugs is pretty bad too, but not as bad as Mythicon's trio of crapola.

Now leave Data Age alone ! ;)

Airlock is all but unplayable and Encounter at L-5 is a total joke.  Journey Escape is boring and Bermuda Triangle lacks imagination.  Yes Frankenstein Monster is a really good game but it is the only decent one they released ;)

1000750[/snapback]

I agree that Airlock is total horseshit. I would like to find Frankenstein's Monster though.

Airlock is all but unplayable and Encounter at L-5 is a total joke.

1000750[/snapback]

Why is it a total joke? I don't understand why game selection #1 doesn't seem to keep score, but the control scheme is interesting and unique. To be sure, the game could have used some play-testing and adjustment, and it probably needs paddles to really be played properly, but it's hardly hopeless. Odd that there's no "you got blown up" sound, though. Even my 1K minigame managed that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Lee: "What if I gave you share of screen credit? How about if I put into the contract that this was written by the both of us?"

Austin: (pause) "I don't want my name on that piece of shit!"

If they did, it's no wonder none of the writers turned up. Usually, they just figured out ways to make their own stuff even worse (the 3 Mythicon games are the same crummy game).

After a lot of thought on the subject wouldn't it be fair to say that Froggo were the worst pirates of 3rd party companies ever? ;)

They might have licensed their stuff, in which chase they wouldn't be pirates (and it would probably have been a lot cheaper to license something from Ultravision than Activision). But if they were pirates, it would seem fair to say they were the worst. Other pirates at least had taste.

there are a few data age games i like, but most of them are just plain crap

crap includes

encounter at L5

sssnake

and other non namables cus im tired:)

ps mythicon suks 2, starting a 2600 collection i was happy to find froggo and mythicon games cus they looked rare, then i looked them up and they were only uncommon, so i played them and they sucked. :( i do like sea hunt by froggo though :)

• 1 month later...

i like seahawk it reminds me of a weak defender or chopper command.sorcerer not that bad either i like its funky music.i own 3 data age games,journey escape which a great game to get talking about when you have friends over,bermuda triangle which is a other weak defender clone,and airlock which is the worst of the bunch but strangely i will throw in a play often.i guess am open mind to most games and give them a fair chance but i still think e.t is the worst game but i will pick up at some point to have in the collection.