IGNORED

MS's answer to Blue-Ray

Famicoman

I think that they should have come out with their own disc type. I'm guessing that that would save some money, but the would sell it for even more.

I had a feeling Sega would make an appearence here/ Are we predicting the future?

Sega Master System: XBOX

Sega Genesis: XBOX 360

32X: HDD

Sega Cd: HD DVD Drive

I was thinking more like the "3600" mod, where there wasn't any room for the DVD-ROM drive, so the guy just left it to the side of the system. As if the thing wasn't already stupid enough.

That's what MS gets for pushing the release this far forward. Now no publisher will want to require it (after all, the only PS2 game requiring the hard drive is FFXI, which was sold with it), even when Microsoft eventually builds it into newer units.

And all the people who paid through the nose and waited in lines to get a 360 last month will be stuck with an ugly box that probably won't match any dimensions of the 360.

Although it could be amusing if a 2-disc game is designed so that it can use both drives to avoid disk swaps.

In the Peter Moore interview I am certain he said it was for movies only... if that is so, then what's the big deal? Nobody will buy it and nobody will care.

How many people complained about the 360 being expensive already on these boards alone? Imagine if they added a couple of hundred extra dollers just for the HD DVD drive.

As an early adopter myself, I see no reason to worry.

In the Peter Moore interview I am certain he said it was for movies only... if that is so, then what's the big deal? Nobody will buy it and nobody will care.

995215[/snapback]

Yep, movies only. What's the point of this? I really dont see HD being the standard until the next gen anyways. Why wouldn't this support games too?

Edited by shep

It seems to me that a better parallel would be that add on device to the 3DO to allow it to play MPEG movies.

995222[/snapback]

Bah. Y're no fun.

995215[/snapback]

Yep, movies only. What's the point of this? I really dont see HD being the standard until the next gen anyways. Why wouldn't this support games too?

995274[/snapback]

Presumably to avoid market splits.

Not that the developers are likely going to be very gung-ho about the HD add-on anyways. "We can make a DVD game that all 360 owners can play, or make an HD-DVD game that one tenth of all 360 owners can play... hmmm..."

I am really on the fence with this.

On one hand, I love it. I was very disappointed that the 360 had no HD drive to begin with, I know that the limits of 9 gigs was going to create problems, and I am disappointed that for a system touted as the beginning of the "HD Era", all I have is analog connections for video. Now all of my wants are available and that's good. I figure, at some point, the drive may be used for games no matter what MS says so I'll count that as a good based on hope alone. Plus, it should be cheaper than a standalone HD DVD unit so I can have my HD DVD's and save some cash.

On the other hand, I can't get excited. It's not the money that bothers me or the fact that this comes after the system release, it the uncertainty of the format. I can't help but think that HD DVD may not last. On the other side of the coin, even though the PS3 can forcefully penetrate the market with Blu Ray, and I will have a PS3, will it be enough to make it the dominant format? Even with so much support, I just don't see a clear cut winner in this. I do know, the consumer isn't the winner.

I have read so many thoughts on this on the net, at so many different sites, and it seems to be a split down the middle on this decision and the whole Blu Ray/HD DVD thing. I have read so many negetive things about Microsofts decision and I don't blame MS for not delaying the 360 based on this new format. All I can think is, ya know this is really Toshiba and Sonys fault. Both promised new drives for 05, niether delivered. No agreement on a single format could be reached, so both decided it was best to force the decision on consumers. I am all for a new format as I feel DVD quality as it is sucks, but I am not for 2 formats. I think I may sit this out for a while. While I have no preference for a new format, I do prefer to only support one. Until it seems one will be more dominant, I can wait.

I am really on the fence with this.

On one hand, I love it. I was very disappointed that the 360 had no HD drive to begin with, I know that the limits of 9 gigs was going to create problems,

I don't think 9GB is an immediate concern, given that most(all?) developers are still using single-layer disks.

I would say typically 3 gig - 5 gig...at least that what my Xbox says when I back-up.

But HD graphics will make the files much bigger on the new generation of consoles.

995757[/snapback]

Pssssst, we're talking about the 360. :P ;)

I wouldn't compare it to the 32x or Mega CD, considering it primarily for movies atm. I think Microsoft just want the 360 to have the capability incase the format does take off. Which I don't think it will. People in general have only just gone from VHS to DVD and that change took about 10 years.

Lot's of developers have been complaining that because all models for 360 games require texturing for both standard and hi-def outputs that a standard DVD isn't sufficient.

This could be a massive oversight; rumor has it that Halo 3 will be shipped on four discs.

Moreover, previous Xbox games installed to hard drive and that won't be an option now, unfortunately as the ownership is split. I really have some reservation on the 360 at the moment.

Anyone think that the launch line-up was a little weak?

Nah, a normal game is 1-2 gigs.

995667[/snapback]

How do you figure?

Ignoring dummy space (and how I know), they have all been over 4g.

995738[/snapback]

Really? Most Xbox games I've seen hover between 2-3 gig. That's not even dual layered DVD. Although there have about about 3-4 DVD9 titles in the last month. Total of about 7-10 that I've seen.

As for the Blue Ray/HDVD. Sounds like we have another VHS format war on our hands. Thanks Sony and Toshiba. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't compare it to the 32x or Mega CD, considering it primarily for movies atm.  I think Microsoft just want the 360 to have the capability incase the format does take off.  Which I don't think it will.  People in general have only just gone from VHS to DVD and that change took about 10 years.

995773[/snapback]

In general, the conversion happened about 5 years ago.

My measuring stick is retailer stock of VHS tapes. They stock what's in demand, and for the last 5 years finding any given title on VHS has been damn near impossible.

In general, the conversion happened about 5 years ago.

My measuring stick is retailer stock of VHS tapes. They stock what's in demand, and for the last 5 years finding any given title on VHS has been damn near impossible.

995892[/snapback]

Yeah you're right, the actual transitional period has been about 4-5 years.

Personally, I'm not interested in HD-DVD or Blue-Ray, and I'm sure the same can be said for the masses, who will ultimately decide what's successful.

Really?  Most Xbox games I've seen hover between 2-3 gig.  That's not even dual layered DVD.

995884[/snapback]

Again, I thought we were talking about the 360 here. :ponder:

If everyone really insists on talking about xbox, then many games arn't even 1 gig (some aren't even 200 megs, look at Crazy Taxi 3).

To get back onto the 360 front. Pretty much everything is bigger then DVD5. High 4g to low 7gig range so far. DVD9 isn't going to provide much room for expansion when the programmers start figuring it out and making bigger and better games. Unless we're still going to be seeing multi-disc games with swapping required (or dvd 14/18 flippie discs).

I agree that game makers aren't going to jump on using it. Lets face it, not many people are going to buy it, especialy considering it costs as much as the 360 does. So game makers arn't going to support it because there won't be a market (as has been mentioned, look at PS2 HD kit & FFXI).

As far as movies. Maybe. Some how, MS is actually undercutting HD-DVD unit prices by about $200 from what the first round of of stand-alone HD-dvd players are estimated to be priced at. I get the feeling it's a Sony type plot between Toshiba & MS to force the HD DVD format into the market. Shame really. Blu-ray is so much better. Only reason HD DVD will probably win out is because of all the darned bardwards compatability nutz. :roll: