IGNORED

An Idea someone?

emkay

This version has built in sid2pokey player and it plays real sid through it.

Unfortunately it will be removed in the further releases due to eating a lot or rastertime (also the title sound isn't very interesitng, though).

995727[/snapback]

Are you joking? The tune isn't interesting?

Hm... I was pretty happy, to see a title tune with better pokey usage in a game...

And you are telling me, it will be removed?

To me it is the most interesting tune ever on a single POKEY:

Balanced sounding, creamy melody, a great (long awaited tune played on the A8) Jarre adaption aswell ...

Why does it use "too" much rastertime? The title looks working perfectly?

This version has built in sid2pokey player and it plays real sid through it.

Unfortunately it will be removed in the further releases due to eating a lot or rastertime (also the title sound isn't very interesitng, though).

995727[/snapback]

I also disagree! Emkay is right!! I like the title music very much. You know why? Because it's not overloaded with peep-sounds, pseudo-bass and the melody works out well, the sound is harmonic etc.

so please do us all a favor and let the tune in there :-)

but even more important: Create a version which is running on a real atari!!! :-) Okay don't take it to serious, I know the game is still under heavy development, but testing on the real thing regulary might be a good idea *g

\twh

Ok - the music isn't so bad AS IS, but it's no good for the title screen of fighting game. Maybe for GAME OVER. One more reason is that this game requires now 256kB of extended memory to run. Getting rid of sid2pokey player and some other strange things will bring surely down all the requirements.

Well, putting sid music to game isn't really that bad idea, but there are some more important problems to solve. It was some kinda experiment.

Edited by miker

Ok - the music isn't so bad AS IS, but it's no good for the title screen of fighting game. Maybe for GAME OVER. One more reason is that this game requires now 256kB of extended memory to run. Getting rid of sid2pokey player and some other strange things will bring surely down all the requirements.

The tune isn't "not bad" .... it is a precious diamond in the POKEY sound history....

The tune itself is perfect for that game aswell.

Well, putting sid music to game isn't really that bad idea, but there are some more important problems to solve. It was some kinda experiment.

995817[/snapback]

The goal should never be to put SID music onto the A8. But, especially SID2POKEY show the right and only direction, where real POKEY-music is to find.

@emkay:

Wanna hear much better sid converson?

You call this better...hm

It's ok. the bass sounds more interesting. But the tune isn't balanced and the "flute" is extremely off, by a wrong timing.

In the YAKF tune, almost everything is perfect. It sounds as it was done for POKEY & not played in a register emulation.

Here's a sample of sid2pokey routine.

It exists only as the procedure linked with a tune, unlike SIDplayer. Maybe in future...

(Note: all the FX-es in "Yie Ar..." doesn't play under this one)

You can switch subtunes with SPACE (if there are any).

sid2pokey.zip

Edited by miker

btw...why was the msx left out in the final TQA & madteam version of mental age?

995840[/snapback]

Yes, It's interesting question...

Musics in older (preview) version of Mental Age gives totally different atmosphere to this game. Msx from "Joe Ripper" is pretty darksome. I like it. ;)

So, why it was changed?

Here's a sample of sid2pokey routine.

It exists only as the procedure linked with a tune, unlike SIDplayer. Maybe in future...

(Note: all the FX-es in "Yie Ar..." doesn't play under this one)

You can switch subtunes with SPACE (if there are any).

997351[/snapback]

Spikerhoek has the same problem as I described. The bass is "pressureless".

Why does it work in the YAKF tune.... :?

I think, it must be in the bassnotes that are "fast" played in an instrument on and on. (perhaps a special vibrato).

It's like programming drums with different tones and the frequency-changes are fitting perfectly together... so the ears realize the bass better.

on the SID you generally use the square (pluse) wave - but the SID gives fine control over the duty-cycle of the wave so sweeps are used a lot to give sounds with a lot of different textures.

if any of you folks use an apple mac then get SIDplay on there - it have live register viewing and a speed option so you can slow the music down and watch the registers. has been a help for me at times.

I've always thought martin galways music does suit the atari very well because it has bass sounds that are very sharp and have a lot of punch to them and a lot of the time he uses bass sounds like that to compensate fot the lack of drums.

Edited by sack-c0s

I've always thought martin galways music does suit the atari very well because it has bass sounds that are very sharp and have a lot of punch to them and a lot of the time he uses bass sounds like that to compensate fot the lack of drums.

997448[/snapback]

It's a sad thing that Galway never used the A8 for making music.

I think, the Green Beret song will sound as good as the YAKF.

But, if he was doing some experiments, would he have the chance to to make such a tune?

Actually, the SID2POKEY is the first and only thing (I know) that uses the 16 bit resolution for the main voice plus 15kHz for bass notes...

TMC gives the possibility of using 16bit, but no such tune is done

We only can imagine, what could be possible.

Edited by emkay

Well, it uses 15kHz low-pass filter only when it's needed. :)

997560[/snapback]

Using 16bit with 1.79MHz clocking makes it possible to use another voice with 64/15kHz switching without interfering the 16 bit voice.

The result is a very balanced sounding with 3 channels for music (using a "4th" digivoice is possible though)

Imagine a tune with a 16 bit voice plus some cool guitar solos by 15kHz filter in one tune...

:ponder:

Edited by emkay