IGNORED

Name that Centipede clone!

ZylonBane

I've been driving myself nuts this weekend trying to remember the title of this Atari8 game--

It was a Centipede clone. I'm pretty sure it was an Apple II port. It played "When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again" when you started. And I seem to recall it had some really cool explosions.

I've been driving myself nuts this weekend trying to remember the title of this Atari8 game--

It was a Centipede clone. I'm pretty sure it was an Apple II port. It played "When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again" when you started. And I seem to recall it had some really cool explosions.

996094[/snapback]

Was it ZAND'S LABYRINTH? This was more like Nibbler so I may be wrong. I can't check Atarimania at the moment. It seems their site is down.

The name of that title is "Bug Attack". I LOVED that game when I used to have my Apple //e. :lust: Wasn't much of a "Centipede" clone, per-se. Of course there were a few stages that were a bit "Centipede-like" (as in there was a segmented bug you had to kill), but you had ZERO vertical movement. Was still quite the enjoyable game.

Yup, that's it! I just spent the last hour searching through the Giant List of Classic Game Programmers looking for familiar titles until I found it.

As Apple-to-Atari ports go, it's remarkably well-done. They actually converted it to use real color graphics instead of artifacting.

996094[/snapback]

Speaking of Apple 2 games, what was the Math game that was styled like pacman called where you where a frog (I think) and had to answer math questions to move around the pacman style maze? I loved that game at school when I was a kid and have only seen it once sense about 10 years ago in high school on a teachers old Apple 2e in thr back of the class room. I used to rush threw all my work just to play on his Apple..lol.. SOOO many poeple laughed their asses off at me for it, But I always thought well the jokes on you cause the 2e rocks.

Yup, that's it! I just spent the last hour searching through the Giant List of Classic Game Programmers looking for familiar titles until I found it.

As Apple-to-Atari ports go, it's remarkably well-done. They actually converted it to use real color graphics instead of artifacting.

996208[/snapback]

Indeed, this little game is a nice one! I've never seen it before. It plays exceptional well, has a good game concept and provides a lot of fun! This is why I love my atari :))

\twh

Are you sure i t wasn't Megalegs?  Im pretty sure that was an Apple II

port as well... fun game.

996347[/snapback]

I'm ABSOLUTELY sure of it, Kevin. This was one of those games I played quite often after getting home from school back when I was in GA. Even the title screen starts with the sound effect of your shooter blowing up.

Are you sure i t wasn't Megalegs?  Im pretty sure that was an Apple II

port as well... fun game.

Megalegs sucks, looks nothing like an Apple port, and has none of the unique characteristics that I described.

996364[/snapback]

geesh you really hate a Megalegs! I couldnt rem the sound effects, but I do rem the

graphics were very primitive (like the Apple II) but I guess I was wrong. I rem

liking megalegs and dont think it "sucks."

• 15 years later...

Just played it, came out in 1982, around the same time as the original 8-bit port of Centipede came out (the Glenn The 5200 Man port of Centipede came out the following year), a very good game and the graphics are quite good, a little different than Centipede/Millipede but well done, here is the ROM for it.

Bug Attack.xex

It's an excellent game, and a "games night" favourite. It's one of the few games to use the keyboard speaker on the 400/800 range for effects (Night Mission Pinball being the other one that springs to mind). Out of curiosity, does anyone know if it uses a redefined character set, or actual bit mapped graphics for game play?

15 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Johnny, I don't think you spotted that was a 15yr old post you replied to :)

I don't care how old it was. I wanted other people to find "closure" to the topic at hand.

Being that my birthday is in October, "Nightmare Gallery" has always been one of my favorites.

Easily, I could progress until the screen is filled up with tombstones. Ah, the insanity.

...I just wanted to share the love of the ongoing shrieking when the gunner dies, but you can't stop playing.

Sounds like the climax of this thread should be in "Creepshow, 2021," along with other fine, fine tales.

Like what? Use your imagination. World leaders turning undead, a la "Beachfront Cinema," this time from Covid?

That might be in poor taste, but at least it's all topical.

Have a wonderful year, 8 bit friends. Or fiends?