IGNORED

Atari games on VHS

lbaeza

Hi guys

I know of a special cart that you plug on your Atari computer, this cart has a cable with a RCA male jack. You plug this cable in the AUDIO OUT jack of a VCR, and load games stored on a special VHS tape.

I've found some information about a device called the Corvus Mirror, although not directly related to the XL line of Atari computers. This special cart looks very similar to the Corvus interface.

Anybody has some information on such device, other than the Corvus one?

Regards

PS: If you can read spanish, you can read the thread here: http://www.atariware.cl/foro/viewtopic.php?p=4174

Edited by lbaeza

• 1 year later...
  • 10 years later...

I know of a special cart that you plug on your Atari computer, this cart has a cable with a RCA male jack. You plug this cable in the AUDIO OUT jack of a VCR, and load games stored on a special VHS tape.

I've found some information about a device called the Corvus Mirror, although not directly related to the XL line of Atari computers. This special cart looks very similar to the Corvus interface.

Anybody has some information on such device, other than the Corvus one?

I know this is an ancient request, but is it possible you're still looking for the information?

I happened upon this site today, which is surely describing the cart you're talking about: TurboSoft - Video Cartridge.

Very interesting stuff, and contains links to the Manual, ROM's, and forum discussion which was joined by one of the creators of the cart.

Also interesting are the other TurboSoft page links at the bottom of this Atari page: RetroGames - Atari, with info and dumps for a MemoryCard Cartridge and a cache of TurboSoft game cartridges.

Or I'm just late to the party? :D...

• Like 1

Fashionably late good sir... :)

Serj posted the Turbo carts a while back in here..

Are you sure about that?

Seeing that Serj only has a little over 200 posts, I went through them all and downloaded everything he's posted.

Although I see he has some Turbo2000 cassette related roms and so forth, I don't see anything TurboSoft.

The only thing of his I wasn't able to download is an archive he put up and linked to on a download site,

which is no longer available for download.

That is the file, I still have it

Pseuds law it had to be the one on a dead server.....My collection to the rescue...

Yes, I see he does have the TurboSoft game cartridges in there. Thanks for posting.

I don't see a ROM for the TurboSoft Video cartridge, though, which is the main focus of my post. Plus, the site I linked to with information and manual are going to be of interest to people who haven't seen it before.

I also don't see the MemoryCard Cartridge in Serj's archive, which I think is a very interesting piece of hardware and history.

Edited by MrFish

A VHS can probably store tons more information than a audio cassette. More surface to record on. I can see why this probably did not became mainstream and was unknown to many users. Probably was expensive to set up and you will need to move your VCR to be near to your computer. There was also something going on with using VHS to record and playback digital HD Video onto a standard video cassette. But these did not take off since DVDs had already started to be popular. This reminds me of those old main frames using those big tape drives as large as a refrigerator, or a hard disk drive as large as a washing machine. .