IGNORED

Digi-music in 1 VBL?

Heaven/TQA

just played around 1 hour with the music driver of the german chaotics (TGC) as i love their style and as they used always fullscreen gfx+DLI and played msx with digi voice... and as far as i know they do not used any of the existing trackers (i assume).

so... here are my results...

just load on ntsc or pal machine the MSX28.obx and after pressing start you are listening to a 6 minute long soundtrack used in abbuc28 magazine intro...

when will Raster include digi voices in his RMT.... ;)

after looking into the code (atari800win + F8 monitor) i discovered that the whole code uses just one VBL and is not switching or patching anything in ROM. CSS (the coder of the intro) even used the SETVBV routines of atari OS... (a demo coder who uses system routines... ;))

so i made a mem snaptshot ($5000-$9fff) and patched some of the routines there (esp. the new display list etc) so you can see that it really works complete in 1 VBL... the flashing accurs simply because when playing samples the music driver seems to switch of the screen... but this is not visible in the real intro (titel28.xex) as it works in VBL. in my patched routine there is no VBL but i start the music driver at rasterline 0 just to see how many CPU cycles are needed...

msx28.zip

just in case here are the other 2 music files from tgc... they have definitly their own style...

"das omen" btw. has 3 parts and long soundtracks...

i love their songs... in 90s i had them on audio cassette in my car hifi... (am i a freak...well...yes... ;))

studio_dream.zip

das_omen.zip

Hmm,

a sound-demo by the BSS-Crew if I remember correctly ?!? Afaik I have 3 sound demos from them in my collection. In the 90s they wanted to teach Atarians how to write good music and do some good samples on the A8 in the (newer) german Atari magazin. Alas, only one article (or a declaration of many articles coming) appeared... but at least they did those 3 demo disks... -Andreas Magenheimer.

Many years ago I found that when playing samples, using wide-screen with a bigger display height actually sounds better than on a standard screen.

Undoubtedly because the extra DMA cycles help to smooth out timing inconsistencies if you're just using simple short delay loops.

when will Raster include digi voices in his RMT.... ;)

Raster is working on other projects at present. :)

And btw - Raster already knows, that greater number of RMT features isn't evoke greater number of RMT musicians/users. ;)

(He tested it many times. :D )

after looking into the code (atari800win + F8 monitor) i discovered that the whole code uses just one VBL

But be aware of code in VBL can consume all the CPU power too. ;)

in my patched routine there is no VBL but i start the music driver at rasterline 0 just to see how many CPU cycles are needed...

Yes, when samples are starting to play, all the CPU cycles are used.

just in case here are the other 2 music files from tgc... they have definitly their own style...

"das omen" btw. has 3 parts and long soundtracks...

i love their songs... in 90s i had them on audio cassette in my car hifi... (am i a freak...well...yes... ;))

1000931[/snapback]

No you are not a freak... I had many Amiga Mods on Tape back in the 90's... good driving music!

These are very good sound demos... I would like to see some games with these sound effects, but I guess a good tracker would be needed first...

Well,

err - and what about Jakub Husak ?!? Author of many good games and demos. Some examples: sample demo "Music Non Stop" (by Kraftwerk), sample demo "Your body, my body" (original title: Lets all chant by Michael Zager Band or so), sample demo "Schlecht korrekt" (or sth. similar by Kraftwerk), sound demo "Axel F" (originally by Harold Faltermayer), sound demo "Crockett`s Theme" (originally by Jan Hammer) and many other sound demos...

Where is Jakub nowadays ?!? Besides, what about Bartman (Bartosz Kalinowski), he seems to have died - anyone knows more (desease, accident, ...) ?!?

greetings, Andreas Magenheimer.

P.S.: Just got an idea - how about a top 10 of your favourite A8 sound programmers / composers ?!?