IGNORED

New batari game - Bomber

Mike P

I discovered batari during my Holiday break and decided to write a game with it that I orginally wrote many years ago on my old TRS-80 model 1 (guess I was a little bored). I call it Bomber. You drop bombs on factories below. The altitude and direction of your bomber is controlled by the pilot (random), your job is to drop the bombs with the left controller fire button. You must level all factories before missing three times. Game reset restarts the game.

Most of my programming time was spent squeezing into a 2K cart. I cannalibized an old cartridge and burned the game into a 2716 EPROM. I was in for a few surprises when I ran it for the first time on my 2600 console. It turns out that Stella's display was quite a bit more forgiving so I had to make some timing changes. It seems to play pretty smooth now but let me know what you think.

Mike P.

bomber.bas

Interesting! I actually started knocking around with a somewhat-similar game over the holidays, a bB conversion of the old "Blitz" game. I was inspired to do so by a version of "Blitz" that I saw someone else working on for the 2600, and I wanted to see what could be done using bB. However, I stopped working on "bB Blitz" (as I was calling it) out of deference to the other programmer.

My version was also partly influenced by "Blitz World Tour," a Flash game that I found and played on the internet. In "Blitz World Tour," there are bonus rounds where you have to bomb famous landmarks (e.g., the Statue of Liberty and the Taj Mahal). In "bB Blitz," I planned to have bonus rounds where you have to bomb Atari-related landmarks, like the "Fuji Towers" and the Yellow Castle.

Michael Rideout

• 2 months later...