IGNORED

Pink Panther Prototype

Tempest

Hey Matt

I'm just curious, how do you see the 2 snow white proto that exist. Two versions of the same game that exist or each version being a unique snow white game. I'm not familiar with how much a version changes direction when creating a game.

Thanks Matt

-h

Pink Panther (un-dumped) = several thousand dollars

A-Team (dumped) = a hundred bucks or so

Yes that's true, but there are more reasons for this than just dumped vs undumped.

1. There are several A-Team protos known to exist (I owned 2, and I know of at least 4 others). There is only 1 known PP proto.

2. PP has a "mystique" about it. Pictures of the prototype have been floating around the net for ages, but the prototype was MIA.

3. PP is a unique game, A-Team is a hack of a game that has been floating around the net for ages.

4. Best Electronics sold copies of A-Team at one point. PP has never been offered for sale.

Honestly though, it's more the fact that there is only one known PP prototype that keeps the price high. If two or three more are discovered the price will go down, regardless of if it has been dumped or not. If no other copies are found and the game is dumped, the price will stay high. It's all about the number of known copies.

Tempest

Hey Matt

I'm just curious, how do you see the 2 snow white proto that exist. Two versions of the same game that exist or each version being a unique snow white game. I'm not familiar with how much a version changes direction when creating a game.

Greg said that he programmed several different versions because marketing kept changing their minds on what they wanted. Normally a game doesn't change that dramatically, although it has happened more than once (look at Meebzork and RS Basketball on the 5200 for instance).

Tempest

(look at Meebzork and RS Basketball on the 5200 for instance).

Tempest

Are there different versions of Meebzork out there? I'd love to see them.

Allan

Yes there is an 'Action' version and an 'Adventure' version. You can see them here: http://www.atariprotos.com/5200/software/m...rk/meebzork.htm

Tempest

(look at Meebzork and RS Basketball on the 5200 for instance).

Tempest

Are there different versions of Meebzork out there? I'd love to see them.

Allan

Yes there is an 'Action' version and an 'Adventure' version. You can see them here: http://www.atariprotos.com/5200/software/m...rk/meebzork.htm

Tempest

Was the action version ever dumped and put on the Net?

Allan

Allan

It was dumped, but I did not give it out. I recentally sold the prototype and the new owner expressed interest in releasing it. I'll let them do that.

Tempest

Allan

It was dumped, but I did not give it out. I recentally sold the prototype and the new owner expressed interest in releasing it. I'll let them do that.

Tempest

Thanks for the update, Tempest.

Allan

• 4 weeks later...
WOW :) Looks like I bit off more than I can chew :D

OK

A-Team was a bad example, I only said that one since it's the one I have seen for sale the most that was an "un-released" game (although true it was just a hack of Sabotuer) and the times I have seen it for sale it usually got around $100. I can't document this but one in a loaner case sold on Atari2600.com about 2 years ago for $120, maybe somebody here got it? Who knows. Anyways, I was also under the impression that there is more than one Pink Panther out there. I was sure I heard a story of a guy with one a long time ago that just dropped out of exsistence and then the second one that was on Ebay recently from the Magnavox collection. If there is only one then nevermind my comment, I realize one of a kind items get a LOT more than 2 of a kind or even possibly 3 of a kind items :) Sorry if any one got mad about this I really wasn't trying to do that :)

CC, I tend to agree with you. There is a price drop in many cases, even though they are still worth a considerable amount of money. If a working Meltdown prototype for the 2600 was found, the new owner could release a few hundred copies as a limited edition run before releasing the BIN, netting a few thousand bucks profit. Once the BIN is released released, you can't really do that, so as a collector, you have a greater capacity to pay for the cart knowing taht you can recoup some of your outlay through a production run. That may not work with a game like PP where it is likely to have copyright issues, so releasing the BIN won't impact the price very much.

CC, I tend to agree with you. There is a price drop in many cases, even though they are still worth a considerable amount of money. If a working Meltdown prototype for the 2600 was found, the new owner could release a few hundred copies as a limited edition run before releasing the BIN, netting a few thousand bucks profit. Once the BIN is released released, you can't really do that, so as a collector, you have a greater capacity to pay for the cart knowing taht you can recoup some of your outlay through a production run. That may not work with a game like PP where it is likely to have copyright issues, so releasing the BIN won't impact the price very much.

There is a complete copy of meltdown already been dumped and on the net by the DP guys. It was released the same time frame that Tempest got that one in Vegas that didn't work right.

There is a complete copy of meltdown already been dumped and on the net by the DP guys. It was released the same time frame that Tempest got that one in Vegas that didn't work right.

The DP copy of Meltdown came from the original programmers. The one I owned was a WIP copy that was damaged.

Tempest

Very. It is in hands of someone in a far better place now.

Tempest

Is there any possiblity it can be repaired or has the new owner just decided to get it for collecting purposes?

Probably not. It appears to be too damaged to fix, but I wouldn't say it is completely impossible.

Tempest

Tempest

Is there any possiblity it can be repaired or has the new owner just decided to get it for collecting purposes?

Probably not. It appears to be too damaged to fix, but I wouldn't say it is completely impossible.

Tempest

When you tried to dump it prior to sending it to that guy with the scope did you get any code out of it that wasn't garbled from the rot? Even enough to see it was a different version from the final?

Tempest

Tempest

When you tried to dump it prior to sending it to that guy with the scope did you get any code out of it that wasn't garbled from the rot? Even enough to see it was a different version from the final?

Yes, and it appears to be a different version. Probably a beta.

Tempest

Yes, and it appears to be a different version. Probably a beta.

Tempest

Cool thanks for the info.

• 3 years later...