IGNORED

Trying to make my 2600 look new

General Atarian

I wouldn't spray it with clearcoat. I took armor all and diluted it with water. Then I used this "water" to clean the system. It looks newer than new but it doesn't look like something drastic has been done to it. It's also very easy to clean off any specks of dust or other debris that gets on it because of the armor-all.

After using the Armor-All on it you could get a dustcover off eBay. Dustcovers really work well(keeping it clean) after your VCS has been detailed!

There is a guy selling "off-brand" Atari 2600 dust covers that are new in the package. They are that cool ugly brownish-tan fake leather(pleather) from the 70's!

They are fun and pretty cheap. I sound like a commercial for this guy, but, he seems very honest and easy to deal with.

quote:

Originally posted by General Atarian:

I was hoping to give the top that new shine that they came out of the box.

For that perfect as-new look, wash with a diluted (say, 50%) bowl of warm (not hot) water + liquid sugar soap, dry off gently with a towel... then wipe with a cloth saturated with Armor All. Finally, buff gently with a dry soft cloth. Gives a beautiful as-new finish to every plastic I've tried it on.

Cheers

A

I keep my Atari covered with a shirt (one that is actually new and I should be wearing), but it still gets the larger dust specks on it. I don't know how they get underneath the shirt but I do have an air cleaner running about 16 hours a day so they get under there somehow.