IGNORED

Proudest Video Gaiming Moment?

I just accomplished a personal goal of breaking 1,000,000 on Solar Fox (Atari 2600) which I have been aiming for these past six months.

Although I think this is pretty impressive, I know there some guy out there thinking to himself that he wouldn't get out of bed if the best he could do on Solar Fox is a mere 1,000,000!! And even though it took six months, I think my proudest video gaming moment occurred when I finally got the secret word (HELIOS) after completing five bonus puzzles on Solar Fox (in a game I only scored ~770,000).

Anyway, this got me thinking, what are some of your personal proudest moments in video gaming. I'm not necessarily asking for world records, although, hey, if you got 'em and you're proud of 'em, list 'em. It could be everything from getting past the first !#@$%^#!!!! screen in Dodge 'em (2600) to finishing first on the AA 2600 High Score Competition. Obviously, it could be any system (I just happen to be mentioning 2600 again and again).

I'll give you another example - playing a 162-game schedule on Tony Larusa Baseball (Genesis) & winning the home run title or batting title - something like that -

Any takers?

Edited by silverpoodleman

On the 2600 I achieved a million on Atlantis and Battlezone. In the arcade I gained a million or completed some 40 games on one credit, games such as Wardener (completed), Dragons lair (completed), Time Crisis (completed), Double Dragon (completed), Street Fighter 2 (completed), S.C.I. (completed), Street Fighter 2 vs X Men (completed), Astro Fighter (over one million), Rygar (over one million), Super Bubble Bobble (over 2 million), 1943 (over a million), Fire Fox (completed), World Heroes (completed) to name but a few ;)

Beating Double Dragon for the 7800. First game ever beaten. Beating ninja Gaiden without game genie for the nes. Having over 200 points in arch rivals. Beating ninja Gaiden 2 with game genie under 25 min. That is not good as my brother beating the same game at 21 min. Too bad we didn't video type those two ninja Gaiden 2 feats.

When I got all the way through Pitfall 2 without getting hit once!

I also did the same thing on Super C for the NES.

:D

On the Atari ST version of Star Wars I just kept going and going and going... I must have reached like level 30 or something. I couldn't be stopped. The only thing that prevented me from going any further is that I had to go out.

Edited by Gregory DG

I can't think of any single moment that I think I'll be boasting about to my grandkids (grandkids?), but I still have a few cherished memories.

Back in the early '90s I became a huge Ninja Turtles freak, and spent almost every quarter I could find on the arcade game. I became so good at it that when parents had six-year-olds that were begging to play, they'd pop in a quarter for me too so I could help their kids' games last longer.

While I've never considered myself a fighting game fan, I have gotten addicted to a couple over the years, most notably DarkStalkers. Getting to the point where I could beat that game's final boss, and even other players, was a nice feeling. "See? I are teh fighting gamer too LOL!!!!1!eleven"

And then there was my first triple jackpot and my first "Grand Champion" award, both in the same game, on The Addams Family... oh, but then that's not a video game. Sorry! :)

I suck at games. I'm that rare thing, an obsessive and knowledgable, yet casual gamer :)

However, I finished Super Mario Land on the original Gameboy and it very nearly killed me :)

Aside from that, doing the label and manual artwork for quite a few of the recent homebrews, arguably the finest videogames the 2600 has ever seen.

Getting to the 5th (and final) lap on the Suzuka track on Pole Position II for the Atari 7800. I didn't complete the race, but considering I never made it past the 3rd lap in any other try EVER, I was pretty pleased.

Being very good at the early 1980's arcade racer Turbo the very first time I played it. Considering I was usually mediocre at most games compared to most people, being a pro at Turbo always satisfied me.

Edited by CHIP72

Finishing the first stage of Raiden DX Mission A in the arcade in eight and a half minutes without losing a single life. A crowd of people was watching, too!

Winning first place on Daytona USA's hardest track against all computer opponents, with spectators cheering me on.

Winning first place on both tracks of Manx TT Superbike against the computer bikes. I was very sore the next day.

Beating Time Crisis 1 with ten lives to spare (once again, crowd watching).

Beating Z-Gradt without letting Viper II die even once during the preceding eight stages (I didn't fight Jag in this matchup). Also pulling off a successful SLC Dive with Viper II. Needless to say I kicked the crap out of a couple of human opponents on my many journeys up to Z-Gradt (and sometimes Jag, too).

Beating Ocarina of Time without dying (used red fairies, though).

Beating Shining the Holy Ark without dying.

Nearly beating FF7 for PC without dying (I died three times to those stupid Death Dealers in the final dungeon). Also, beating Emerald Weapon with Gravity and beating Ruby by setting up a combo, then setting something heavy on the controller and going to the movies for a while.

The day I brought home the first (and only) system I purchased on launch day--a Dreamcast.

Any time I get to show off my 7800 or some of its games (most people don't even know what an Atari 7800 is).

I'm working on beating FF Legend 3 without dying, too. That is, without my party getting mutilated. The gameboy batteries have already died during play once. :mad: EDIT: Lost once to cheeseball Dahak. I hit "Fight Again" and punished him for that.

Just about any time I knock out four lines in a linkup game of GB Tetris.

Any time I kick the snot out of some punk who cheats at Command and Conquer. Better still when they've been talking smack and four Boomers or a half dozen Rhino heavy tanks level their base.

This one time I was playing as the British forces in Yuri's Revenge. I rolled the enemy base, leaving only two Allied power plants. I hit F9 on the keyboard, and this British voice said, "Perhaps you should surrender and avoid further blooshed."

That moment was just classic.

I also managed to silence another trash talker during a linked PSX game of Red Alert.

Laughing with an Australian dude about the 2000 election while playing an online game together. ("You guys can't even pick your leader.")

Edited by shadow460

I don't ever want to get really good at a game unless it is by accident. It takes the fun out of the game and makes it feel more like work.

I don't know if you can be proud about finding the Yar in E.T. for the Atari 2600, but it was one of the coolest things that ever happened to me while playing a game.

Making the semi-finals at the Nintendo World Championships. Woo-hoo. If I'd have been a year older, I'd have placed in an older age category, and my score would have been several times higher than that category's highest finisher.

My accomplishments before and after the NWC are rather lame. A couple of years ago, for some reason, I was addicted to Time Pilot '84 for a few months (t'was on location at a skate club that hosted live rock shows), and exceeded the listed Twin Galaxies high score multiple times.

Played my arcade game of Karate Champ pretty extensively for a few weeks, and honed my timing to the point where I could have theoretically placed on the Twin Galaxies list all using a single move, the kick/reverse punch. It's a cheap move, but scores low, which means my games lasted for hours.

Completed STUN Runner on one credit.

First couple of moments I remember, both from the early 80's:

Rolling the score in Atari Space Invaders (I know it's easy to do, but it was the first time I'd ever rolled the score in any game).

Finding the easter egg in Adventure for the first time. Seems like nothing now days with easter eggs and cheats available redilly for every game released, but back then this was REALLY something cool :)

I also remember how cool it was to beat the original Zelda. I felt like I had really accomplished something then.

Edited by Lord Helmet

Making the semi-finals at the Nintendo World Championships.  Woo-hoo.  If I'd have been a year older, I'd have placed in an older age category, and my score would have been several times higher than that category's highest finisher.

Nice one. I know a guy who played against Thor (the winner) in a Camerica promo event to push Micro Machines and beat his ass hard.

My gaming achievments that really stand out

- finishing Super Mario Bros for the first time

- beating Legacy of the Wizard for NES (just try it, I dare you)

- beating Zelda without dying

- Beating Mike Tyson by decision after years of hard work

Edited by figgler

For me it would be a toss-up between a couple of different things... the first time I beat Super Mario Bros or when I finally beat King's Quest IV would be up there...

But my proudest would be surpassing the high score recorded on Twin Galaxies for the Test Track on Pole Position II. I always thought I was awesome at that game... and who knows... maybe I am the best. :D

One time my friend took his SNES over to my house and hooked it up in my parents room, and I was in my room playing mine. And we had a rece to see who could beat super mario world first. I beat him and he was just screaming absenitys towards the end. That was a pretty good moment.

My proudest moment had to be when I scored over 5 million on Asteroids (Arcade). I played for over 10 hours straight, and had over 200 ships when I stopped playing (they went across the whole top of the screen and disappeared at the other side). I only stopped playing because I got tired. My score was 9th in the U.S. at the time, and I had a large crowd watching throughout the whole game (different people over time).

Jim

Let's see.. I beat Legacy of the Wizard. WITHOUT a password, I had maxed out TetrisDX at Lv. 30 (got something along the ranks of 160 lines), got around 101,000 in Battlezone for the 2600, beat Donkey Kong '94 the very DAY I bought it (and caused the batteries to make a rather loud "POP" noise from nonstop play), acquired the TRUE "Good Ending" to Kid Icarus (999 hearts, all 3 special weapons, Health at Lv. 5, and strength Lv. 5) without cheats or passwords, beat the final level of the "World Tour" mode in the DC version of Street Fighter Alpha 3 (it's hell.. part 1 is you VS Evil Ryu and Akuma, part 2 is VS Shin Akuma & Normal M. Bison, final part is against TWO Shin M. Bisons). I think my next greatest moment will be when I can beat the Brachioraidos in Final Fantasy IV Advance (an avoidable monster encounter in the Lunar Ruins who is more difficult than ANY of the "Ultimate Bosses" in the Ruins).