IGNORED

GORF classic

The Graphics Man

Hey I understand that you want to make peace. I still dont see the need

to edit the thread. I do appreciate the hope of reasonable discussion of

Gorf. I m always glad to answer any questions on Gorf. Look, if people

complain, let them. It comes with the territory.

Complaining/debating is fine. Personal insults and name calling is not. If people have issues with each other, it's best left to PM. Everyone in the community doesn't need to know about it.

1011487[/snapback]

I agree...I came here to answer questions anyone might have about Gorf.

Gave them honest replies. Got compared to a pirate.....I hate when people PM

me with whinning. I'd rather they just let it go. they dont. they want to be right,

even if they are not...I know...I've been there...im by no means perfect. I do

try to get along as much as I can. There will be clashes. IT 's part of life.

I do

1011757[/snapback]

Why do you feel that way? I've been active in this scene for about 7 years now and have yet to "clash" with anyone outside of 1 or 2 misunderstandings that were worked out via PM. In one instance, I had no clue I had even offended the other person several YEARS earlier until they brought it up. Maybe it's a generational thing since most of the people who frequent Atariage are in their 30s and 40s and could give a rat's ass about which system kicks which's ass, blah blah blah and most of the Jaguar crew are still under 26 for the most part. Either way, I do not understand why anyone would think it is okay to post a bunch of inflammatory garbage + profanity in doing so succeeding only in getting the entire board banned from workplaces everywhere for excessive obscenity or piss off the 10,000 or so who view boards to obtain useful information and nothing else. I guess I find the whole thing childish. I graduated from high school almost 20 years ago. I don't need to relive it every day by reading pissing matches on public boards and I know I'm not alone.

Indeed. While some of those who posted questions have at times been tagged as provocateurs in other forums on this board (at times I'm sure I've been thought of that way too) I certainly didn't read anything intentionally inflammatory in asking reasonable questions like "who owns what" and "was a tribute version approved." These are the kind of questions any person of natural curiosity would ask about redoing any classic game like Gorf as a modern homebrew. Giant video game companies have million dollar arms of their businesses devoted to clearancing before emulated versions or modern updates are published. Homebrewers and small video game companies have no such budget, and I think most of us recognize that the challenges of actually clearancing a project would be so cost-prohibitive that many of them (Pac-Man on 7800, Gorf on Jaguar, "Beef Drop" on 5200) would never get off the ground. Therefore nobody asks these questions to start shit or to get a game pulled. Why would we, how does that benefit us as gamers? It's not a question that can be avoided by flames and insults though. Most people will simply ackowledge it and say, "Yeah I don't have clearance but it's a small homebrew, I don't expect issues" or "Yeah I have tacit approval from the original designer, but they don't actually own the copyright" or some such. Occasionally games do disappear when these issues go unresolved, so each time it comes up it's a valuable learning experience for all of us. For example it was nice to see that all that was required for Joust Pong to return was a slight name change to FlapPing.

I agree...I came here to answer questions anyone might have about Gorf.

Gave them honest replies. Got compared to a pirate.....I hate when people PM

me with whinning. I'd rather they just let it go. they dont. they want to be right,

even if they are not...I know...I've been there...im by no means perfect. I do

1011757[/snapback]

You sure it wasn't a compliment? Pirates are cool!

:pirate: :ahoy: :pirate: YARGH!!!!

:D

• Like 1

I do

1011757[/snapback]

Why do you feel that way? I've been active in this scene for about 7 years now and have yet to "clash" with anyone outside of 1 or 2 misunderstandings that were

1011806[/snapback]

Are'nt we supposed to be talking about Gorf in this thread? Why do yo continue to fan the fires. YOU tell others they need to grow up? Mirror my friend.

Indeed.  While some of those who posted questions have at times been tagged as provocateurs in other forums on this board (at times I'm sure I've been thought of that way too) I certainly didn't read anything intentionally inflammatory in asking reasonable questions like "who owns what" and "was a tribute version approved."  These are the kind of questions any person of natural curiosity would ask about redoing any classic game like Gorf as a modern homebrew.  Giant video game to FlapPing.

1011918[/snapback]

Dear me oh my! You people get an idea in your head around here

and no matter the facts, you just wont budge.

ONE LAST TIME!

I have permission from the author (go ask her yourself once and for all) unlike

the rest you mention. I do not apperciate being lumped into that pile. It is not

the truth even a little bit. Get over it already! I dont mind being asked ANYTHING

until I am called a liar or a pirate or be accused of something as a result when

none is true. And Linko, pirates are not cool, software or otherwise. They ruin

lives one way or the other.

I thought we were going to drop this? Well If any of you foks who want to ask serious non legal related questions about Gorf , come visit the JSII forums.

I have had enough of this...

Gorf as I already stated I appreciate your efforts and think the game is a fine addition to my library so please dont let the others put you off what you do best ok. There seems to be a lot of ill feeling here when in reality there shouldn't be so as Gorf suggested let us get back to the basics and talk about the merits (or not) of the game ;)

A simple question was asked about legalities after "Gorf" blasted MAME users (none of those around here, right? I thought not). You made many different claims and grew unreasonably angry. Everyone was as polite about this as can be. So let's finish this off.

Guess who I've been talking to?

The copyright to Gorf is in legal limbo. Midway had released the game to DNA Associates but there are paperwork questions which simply cannot be answered. The rights would belong to one of those two companies now, most likely Midway, and it would take a court case to settle it. No one is fighting over these rights because Galaxian remains the property of Namco. Any "legal" version of Gorf would have to exclude this level. Jamie is an extemely cool person who supports all classic gaming projects, but she never gave anyone any sort of legal "permission" to use Gorf because the permission is not hers to give.

If you don't believe that I've really been exchanging emails with her, ask her yourself. But please be polite and don't try to stir up any drama. She's very supportive of her fans and she just wants people to enjoy her games. She doesn't need anything to darken this hobby for her.

So unless a person gets the rights from Nutting and/or Midway, one version of Gorf is just as legal as another. No one seems to be interested in protecting this property. JagGorf is probably the best-playing option at the moment, but don't feel guilty for choosing another method. Just enjoy the game.

• Like 1