IGNORED

PLynx: Atari Lynx Emulator for PSP

Albert

Yeah, I guess it's a case of they convert the main classes to work with a none win32 compiler, and by the time you've wrapped up gfx, sound, and controlls etc its pretty removed from the original. I would use compiler directives personally, then have it compile for different platforms easily. I did that with Ghostbusters remake, toggle compile between Win32 and GP2X Linux.

Yeah, I guess it's a case of they convert the main classes to work with a none win32 compiler, and by the time you've wrapped up gfx, sound, and controlls etc its pretty removed from the original. I would use compiler directives personally, then have it compile for different platforms easily. I did that with Ghostbusters remake, toggle compile between Win32 and GP2X Linux.

Yes exactly, I did some work with that PSP adaptation and planing another one, easier than restarting from scratch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I tried using plynx for PSP for a while, but then I found Handy and made the switch. There are a few issues with plynx, but the real deal breaker is the bug in the button mapping. Whenever I press the button that Option 1 is mapped to, nothing happens, and when I press the button that Option 2 is mapped to, it activates Option 1 and Option 2 at the same time. This makes games like Todd's Adventure in Slime World unplayable. If that simple bug were to be fixed, I might give plynx a second try.

• 2 years later...

From Plynx sources the code seems to read it by just the file name. I wonder if the default directory could be different on the Vita?

The code seems to recognize directories pics contexts roms cfgs

Perhaps you could copy the lynxboot.img to all these directories just in case.

If the file is not found you should get the error message:

Error("A valid Lynx boot image (lynxboot.img) could not be found", 1);

If the file is not found you should get the error message:

Error("A valid Lynx boot image (lynxboot.img) could not be found", 1);

Yes that’s exactly what I get.

I think the Emulator is looking for it in PSP/Game/PLynx which is not in my directory tree on Vita and it's not obvious how to point the Emulator elsewhere. I’m having the same problem with CaSTaway looking for a TOS Rom in a directory not available.

Handy works on some custom firmwares but not others. It crashes my gray PSP, but not my black one. It's kind of irksome, but at least it works on SOMETHING. (PLynx leaves much to be desired on any firmware, in my opinion.)

Is there a way to adjust Handy so the graphics in the stretched modes aren't hit with the bilinear filter ugly stick? I haven't found one. Heck, just doubling the size of the pixels (without the blur) would do a world of good.

Yes that’s exactly what I get.

I think the Emulator is looking for it in PSP/Game/PLynx which is not in my directory tree on Vita and it's not obvious how to point the Emulator elsewhere. I’m having the same problem with CaSTaway looking for a TOS Rom in a directory not available.

The best solution would be to include the boot image in the binary instead of having it as a separate file. In the sources there is already a partial copy of the boot image to check that it is ok. It would be trivial to add all 512 bytes there and just use that one.

What's the best custom firmware to use on a PSP for emulating the Lynx? Funny this thread just became active again... I bought a replacement battery for my PSP2000 [Vader] from the local retro gaming shop last week and have been playing the arcade Klax off Midway's - damn I hate referring it to Midway instead of Atari Games - Greatest Hits disc.

What all of these emulators need to be modded to do is support [mini] USB-to-ComLynx so we could ComLynx it up on-the-cheap. PSPs are dirt cheap [Vitas are not though], especially compared to Lynxes with or without the McWill screens. I would love to be able to do 4 and 8 player ComLynx matches with a mixed assortment of PSPs and real Lynxes. Seriously, you haven't really experienced the Lynx environment until you've played 4-player Warbirds, and 8-player Todd's Adventure in Slime World. Gawd, I loved dropping MegaBombs in the caverns and nuking everyone. Even California Games kicks serious posterior in 4-player mode. Man, it's been like 23 years since experiencing that fun...

Edited by Lynxpro

I must admit that I used PSP emulation for a long time. The PSP is much lighted than a Lynx, the batteries last forever, the emulation is very good. I also have 2 PSP's still. One yellow Simpsons PSP and one fat black one.

I even created a Lynx GPS unit for it for navigating in Osaka.

This ComLynx support would make sense. The PSP's have ad-hoc networking so you would have very low lag times. But I believe that the best way to implement it is not sending a byte at a time. Most old games used a redeye protocol. So if the emulator would understand the higher content it could send complete messages between the Lynxes instead.

Just wanted to join in and share my train of thoughts. I did use the psp for lynx emulation for a while too, but I don't like the flimsy D-pad and comparing to todays pimped color screens the screen is bleak. So far I personally like Lynx emulation best on the 3DS because I really like screen(s) (they got a bit of a lynx feeling to them, with small stripes between the pixel rows), d-pad, the industrial design of it and the sound works better than on psp, but more people on this forum seem to like the psp more:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/256380-lynx-handy-on-the-3ds/

It does have to be a NEW 3ds, ner 3ds xl or new 2ds xl (if those are soft-hackable yet) because those have a faster cpu and most emulators were made for those.

Too bad the sound emulation is bad on all handheld lynx emulators (except the android version that has got all the updates). I did buy an android controller too some years ago, but the bluetooth pairing would never work without issues. Some of the better android gaming devices are more expensive than a real lynx + a McWill screen.

I like emulators but Imho at the moment a real Lynx + McWill Screen is unbeatable, because obviously it's the real thing, and the screen is arguably better that both psp and 3ds screens. :-D

Comlynx-stuff always sound exciting regardless emulator or real lynx, perhaps it's the most under-explored lynx-feature at this point?

Btw. I bought a nice psp for 20e from a friend at work and loaded it with huge amounts of retro-gaming and gave it to my little brother one or two xmases ago ^^

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

I must admit that I used PSP emulation for a long time. The PSP is much lighted than a Lynx, the batteries last forever, the emulation is very good. I also have 2 PSP's still. One yellow Simpsons PSP and one fat black one.

I even created a Lynx GPS unit for it for navigating in Osaka.

This ComLynx support would make sense. The PSP's have ad-hoc networking so you would have very low lag times. But I believe that the best way to implement it is not sending a byte at a time. Most old games used a redeye protocol. So if the emulator would understand the higher content it could send complete messages between the Lynxes instead.

The emulator would also have to know about the PSP's native hardware and use it, whether it's the AdHoc WiFi or the Mini-USB port. It's rather disappointing that other Lynx emulators haven't done this before. I would've thought the [original] Xbox would've been the first to use it since that scene is so into using hardware...