IGNORED

And You Thought Game Prototypes Are Expensive...

Atari Rescue Group

I collect old (and new) Topps Wacky Packages sticker cards as well. Here's an auction that recently ended for a piece of original art for the parody of Cap'n Crunch cereal.

Auction

A few of the old titles get outrageous prices.  :o

1005687[/snapback]

quite possible the highest amount of money blown on the stupidest item. thank god im not that bad

Back in the early 90s Topps had an auction where these were sold off for around 500 each. One or two guys bought most of them up and the prices have soared. Garbage pail kids artwork are on the same path. The first year topps sold these they sold for 100-200 each (I bought 3) and now they sell for 500-5000 (I sold 2) depending on the series.

I have an uncut sheet of Wacky Packages from 1978 or something. I am not sure if it's the original or not, but it's probably the repro.

In the late 80's or something like that Topps made some repros for put in loaves of bread as giveaways. Some bum or something found a huge stack of them in an empty office building, so they started surfacing and as a result the originals have went way down in price because you can't tell the difference.

Some people have theories as to cutting technology was different, etc.

From my memory these uncut sheets have been sitting in this store at a fleamarket for 15 or 20+ years now. I just never bought one until recent.

Back in the early 90s Topps had an auction where these were sold off for around 500 each. One or two guys bought most of them up and the prices have soared. Garbage pail kids artwork are on the same path. The first year topps sold these they sold for 100-200 each (I bought 3) and now they sell for 500-5000 (I sold 2) depending on the series.

1005900[/snapback]

I think that auction would be the legendary (to Wacky fans) Guernsey Auction. I believe that catalogs for that auction command a good price. GPK cards started after I stopped with the Wackys as a kid and I don't know much about those. Which ones did you buy?

Original art for the stickers is too pricey for me, but I've gotten a few other Wacky items from the Topps Vault (a original line drawing and a color production process image from the old tattoos, and a color proof set for the only new sticker which was included in the one of the re-issued 1979-1980 Series. Still, this peripheral minor league stuff isn't cheap, as I paid from $60 to $200 for them.

I have an uncut sheet of Wacky Packages from 1978 or something. I am not sure if it's the original or not, but it's probably the repro.

In the late 80's or something like that Topps made some repros for put in loaves of bread as giveaways. Some bum or something found a huge stack of them in an empty office building, so they started surfacing and as a result the originals have went way down in price because you can't tell the difference.

Some people have theories as to cutting technology was different, etc.

From my memory these uncut sheets have been sitting in this store at a fleamarket for 15 or 20+ years now. I just never bought one until recent.

1005983[/snapback]

The bread ones were in Wonder Bread about 1974. There's been a lot more on the market. I'm gonna guess the uncut sheet you have is the first re-issue series (from 1979) and has the serial code 4-483-05-01-9. If it is any other serial number then they would sell for $$$. (Sellers buy those sheets, cut them up, and sell them as singles--mostly to new collectors.) I still don't have one of those sheets. If they are in good condition I'd like to get one if it's isn't too costly. What's the price?

The Wacky Packages site with the most info is this one.

Edited by Atari Rescue Group

I think that auction would be the legendary (to Wacky fans) Guernsey Auction. I believe that catalogs for that auction command a good price. GPK cards started after I stopped with the Wackys as a kid and I don't know much about those. Which ones did you buy?

I had 3 of them. One of them I didn't care for at all and was a later release 8th series or so and quickly resold. The other was Losing Faith which I think is a series 4 I also sold that one. The one I kept I liked the best and got it free and then some after reselling the other 2.

Bruised Lee !

I recently turned down two seperate emailed offers of 1800 as its my last one. Now if it one day gets the numbers that wacky packs get then its gone !

Adam

DAMN! when i was young i had a complete set! wish i knew what happened to them. 

Rick

cards are quite cheap compared to the artwork. Series one might set you back $100.00 and the sets get cheaper from there. Not a big deal for a big money man like you ;)

1006923[/snapback]

The 1st series is actually the 2nd most expensive regular type of sticker set. The 16th Series was released in about 1977 -- about two years after the 15th Series was released. Most Wacky fans (myself included) had moved on and never even knew the 16th even existed. A little while ago nice 16th Series sets were going for $2000-$2500 or so, and maybe add one or two hundred dollars if you include the nine piece puzzle that has the series checklist on the back. Here's an auction for a harder to find right side puzzle piece.

There is even a Wacky Packages book called The Wacky Packages Gallery That covers most released stuff through the 1990's. It is lots cheaper when you can find it on ebay compared to the price on the website though.

Edited by Atari Rescue Group

The 1st series is actually the 2nd most expensive regular type of sticker set. The 16th Series was released in about 1977 -- about two years after the 15th Series was released. Most Wacky fans (myself included) had moved on and never even knew the 16th even existed. A little while ago nice 16th Series sets were going for $2000-$2500 or so, and maybe add one or two hundred dollars if you include the nine piece puzzle that has the series checklist on the back.

There is even a Wacky Packages book called The Wacky Packages Gallery That covers most released stuff through the 1990's. It is lots cheaper when you can find it on ebay compared to the price on the website though.

I was talking gpks

DAMN! when i was young i had a complete set! wish i knew what happened to them. 

Rick

cards are quite cheap compared to the artwork. Series one might set you back $100.00 and the sets get cheaper from there. Not a big deal for a big money man like you ;)

1006923[/snapback]

:D

still wonder what happened to them. :ponder: don't think i would sell them even if i did find them. (even if they were worth more)

Rick

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gpkart-l/dat...eportRows&tbl=9

Check this out. These guys track the sale of every GPK final artwork sold on ebay and in private hands. Man they are into it. They are ten times worse than us !

1007789[/snapback]

And here is the page from the Wacky web site mentioned earlier that tracks the Wacky art.

Amazing what GPK and Wacky art is going for. Don't think the artists get a cut though. Topps typically pays them by the piece after supplying them with rough drawings done by others, but some of the current artists actually submitted art they created to Topps and they were used.

Some of the current Wacky artists (including Jay Lynch who also worked on the old stuff) are members over at the Wacky site. Interesting to hear the stories and comments about what's going on with the issues.

• 3 weeks later...

This wasn't his first:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=6241340507

Truly this is pop art. I can see the value still rising over time. Things qualified as art have a higher ceiling than our consumer mass market stuff we collect. We might be cognizant of the potential value of any original vid game related artwork we may stumble upon. It's all speculation of course.