IGNORED

Infamous Landfill Music Video

trusty

All those carts looked perfectly shiny and new. I'm guessing they got a label scan from somewhere (here??) and made all of them, or at least most of them. As common as ET is, it's not as common as label-less Combat. :)

As for the ending, I thought they were trying to beat the game on all of them. The idea that there's this substantially more awesome version (Yeah, I like it) of ET that got buried isn't part of the legend.

The implication of the video is that they found the landfill and dug up a handful of the buried carts.

Do they say specifically that this is NOT how the acquired the carts on their website or MySpace? That would certainly be a far more entertaining urban myth than the original...

"Rock band uses old footage to find and dig up landfilled buried ET carts."

"Someone in the band is a retro game fan"...

You think?

http://www.keithschofield.com/

1006881[/snapback]

I'm surprised he doesn't post here.

Are any of those other screenshots from actual games? I know they're not 2600 or CV titles, but they could be from the like Vic-20 or something . . .

1007063[/snapback]

I didn't recognize them... but in my experience, Vic-20 games made Atari 2600 games seem complex.

As far as these guys posting here... for all we know... they *do*. Or at least lurk. :)

As for the ending, I thought they were trying to beat the game on all of them. The idea that there's this substantially more awesome version (Yeah, I like it) of ET that got buried isn't part of the legend.

1006817[/snapback]

I am tempted to write a better version of ET as a future homebrew game, but it is quite hard to think how the movie could be converted into a game!

Chris

1006817[/snapback]

I am tempted to write a better version of ET as a future homebrew game, but it is quite hard to think how the movie could be converted into a game!

Chris

1007255[/snapback]

Didn't seem to stop these guys from making ET on these consoles :D

post-5587-1138297771_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1138297779_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1138297787_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1138298175_thumb.jpg

1006817[/snapback]

Chris

1007255[/snapback]

I have an idea, the resion some programers having hard time thinking of how to make a good ET game is that fact that you HAD to play as ET, why not use Elliott? I mean if you see the film all the way you know that Elliott is doing like 70n to 80% of the time I mean you make Elliott as the main player, helping ET, fining parts for phone-home, hiding ET from MOM? even riding a bike chase from the FBI cars. And fly over the trees for points and make it in time at the landng point like KRULL. :cool:

Edited by Atariboy2600

1006817[/snapback]

Chris

1007255[/snapback]

I have an idea, the resion some programers having hard time thinking of how to make a good ET game is that fact that you HAD to play as ET, why not use Elliott? I mean if you see the film all the way you know that Elliott is doing like 70n to 80% of the time I mean you make Elliott as the main player, helping ET, fining parts for phone-home, hiding ET from MOM? even riding a bike chase from the FBI cars. And fly over the trees for points and make it in time at the landng point like KRULL. :cool:

1007310[/snapback]

Heh. It is sort of ironic that you cut right to it. The escapist adventure in the movie isn't about *being* ET... the draw is seeing the film from Elliot's eyes. It just makes sense that a video game would follow this formula... and you're right... once you make Elliot the character you control, the REST of the movie falls right into place... because ELLIOT is the one experiencing the wild adventures...

Which makes you wonder why for 20 years programmers have been stuck in a box thinking that an E.T. game must feature E.T. as the player character.

Edited by Paranoid

1006817[/snapback]

Chris

1007255[/snapback]

1007310[/snapback]

Heh. It is sort of ironic that you cut right to it. The escapist adventure in the movie isn't about *being* ET... the draw is seeing the film from Elliot's eyes. It just makes sense that a video game would follow this formula... and you're right... once you make Elliot the character you control, the REST of the movie falls right into place... because ELLIOT is the one experiencing the wild adventures...

Which makes you wonder why for 20 years programmers have been stuck in a box thinking that an E.T. game must feature E.T. as the player character.

1007318[/snapback]

Thats excatally what I mean, in the film you only see ET in very small rolls in some crasy way ET is just a cameo doing cute things in the back driop, eatting Reese's Pieces here's drinking beer there and saying phone home but Elliot had to do everything. Like in one idea stage on a 2600 game you can have Elliot in a one room School class with many school tabels and he had to free many frogs before the teacher gets to him. See there's soo many ideas for a real ET game you just take Elliot as the main character just like from the film.